Aggregate Music System 1.0.1 - Update available!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
muckmclane

01 Sep 2021

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.6 KiB) Viewed 10407 times
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 10654 times
Last edited by muckmclane on 18 Dec 2021, edited 7 times in total.

electrofux

01 Sep 2021

It is allways surprising how the right sound makes a sequence going from "na noodling" to "wow this is something".

I hit the random button and it came up with something really cool with an Antidote electric Piano patch so that i instantly printed out 3 sequences, did some edits here and there and started arranging. I never have gotten this fast from loop to arranging which is a problem i think many hobby producers have.

I stil think some sort of offset to audition parts of the output would be very handy. I could do it relativley easy because i have a nice Launchpad implementation where i can jump and move the loop locators on a button press (even quantized though experimental). But it would be quite tedious to move the locators without that. And the rest of the stuff also loops with it which might be not desireable.
And often eg the first block fits perfectly with eg the 5th block but you can normally only find out by cutting and moving printed out parts.
Some basic inbuilt on the fly arranging would be very cool.

muckmclane

01 Sep 2021

electrofux wrote:
01 Sep 2021
It is allways surprising how the right sound makes a sequence going from "na noodling" to "wow this is something".
Life is an aggregate of experience, which continually surprises us.-Ron Carlson

b.jpg
b.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 10652 times
Last edited by muckmclane on 06 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

altron

02 Sep 2021

I hate to be that guy but you need to be very strong for what I am about to tell you ...

It all sounds to me like a one year old child is hitting piano keys at random with both hands, while smiling and laughing at this new found experience. Trying to get a computer to compose music is like trying to get a goldfish to ride a bike: The goldfish lacks legs and the computer lacks soul.

I appreciate the effort though.
Trap is where music goes to die.

WaxTrax

02 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021
I hate to be that guy but you need to be very strong for what I am about to tell you ...
So let me ask, what value does saying this add? What goal are you trying to achieve by posting something like this? I'm not trying to be an ass, I would just like to know what you expect to happen by posting these kinds of comments.

altron

02 Sep 2021

WaxTrax wrote:
02 Sep 2021
altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021
So let me ask, what value does saying this add? What goal are you trying to achieve by posting something like this? I'm not trying to be an ass, I would just like to know what you expect to happen by posting these kinds of comments.
Sharing my honest opinion. Don't you like to hear honest opinions?

This isn't a dis against Lectric Panda. I have several of their REs and I like them. It's my opinion about generative music in general.
Last edited by altron on 02 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

VariableX

02 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021

It all sounds to me like a one year old child is hitting piano keys at random with both hands, while smiling and laughing at this new found experience. Trying to get a computer to compose music is like trying to get a goldfish to ride a bike: The goldfish lacks legs and the computer lacks soul.

I appreciate the effort though.
haha i haven't tried it yet, but after buying evolution without trial cos i love panda stuff, i will deffo trial first because evolution never gets in my rack and this thing probably has less chance - im hoping Panda does something different to this kind of suff, im hoping his 'obsession' with generative music is over 🙏🏼

madmacman

02 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021

I would appreciate 10 minutes of filtered white noise in the same way as "art" as I do for Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D-minor. Why? Because I don't judge it by skills of its creator, but by my perception when listening to it. If it triggers some mood in a certain situation, then this music has done its job - no matter how it was created.

And as a side note: I wouldn't use the output of such tools unedited "as is". You can run them (and record them to track) for a few minutes, get ideas, cut, slice, edit, add your own melodies to it, and so on.

altron

02 Sep 2021

madmacman wrote:
02 Sep 2021
altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021

I would appreciate 10 minutes of filtered white noise in the same way as "art" as I do for Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D-minor. Why? Because I don't judge it by skills of its creator, but by my perception when listening to it. If it triggers some mood in a certain situation, then this music has done its job - no matter how it was created.

And as a side note: I wouldn't use the output of such tools unedited "as is". You can run them (and record them to track) for a few minutes, get ideas, cut, slice, edit, add your own melodies to it, and so on.
Ok, your opinion, I respect that, although I would call 10 minutes of filtered white noise laziness, not art. ;)
It's kind of like when I once visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in Kanazawa and there was this one room where the artist seemingly has simply emptied some bags of trash on the floor and they call it art. I said to my friend "This isn't art!", she replied: "Shhhh! Yes, this is art!".

muckmclane

02 Sep 2021

trent says.jpg
trent says.jpg (206.67 KiB) Viewed 11043 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Sep 2021

muckmclane wrote:
02 Sep 2021
trent says.jpg
:lol: :lol:

dvdrtldg

02 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021
It's kind of like when I once visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in Kanazawa
:lol: Wow, so cultured

All you've shown is that your understanding of music and visual art is extremely limited. By all means keep trolling if it makes you feel more adequate or whatever, but it's a bit embarrassing. You seem to be the kind of guy who stands in front of a Rothko, says "My two year old could do that" and thinks he's demonstrating exquisite aesthetic refinement

muckmclane

02 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Trying to get a computer to compose music is like trying to get a goldfish to ride a bike: The goldfish lacks legs and the computer lacks soul.
oh_and.jpg
oh_and.jpg (53.89 KiB) Viewed 11000 times

Faastwalker

02 Sep 2021

Only yesterday I witnessed a goldfish riding a bicycle popping wheelies and bunny hoping obstacles. Was very impressive and surprising 🤪

muckmclane

02 Sep 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Only yesterday I witnessed a goldfish riding a bicycle popping wheelies and bunny hoping obstacles. Was very impressive and surprising 🤪
evolution4.JPG
evolution4.JPG (29.92 KiB) Viewed 10952 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Sep 2021

muckmclane wrote:
02 Sep 2021
evolution4.JPG
Lectric Goldfish

modecca

02 Sep 2021

rcbuse wrote:
02 Sep 2021
muckmclane wrote:
02 Sep 2021
evolution4.JPG
Lectric Goldfish
🔗💥

kbard

03 Sep 2021

Seriously this one need patch sharing so that people can learn it easier.

dvdrtldg

03 Sep 2021

kbard wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Seriously this one need patch sharing so that people can learn it easier.
I've been working with screenshots from this vid and it's really opening things up
modecca wrote:
30 Aug 2021
Really been having too much fun with this thing the last few days.

altron

03 Sep 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
02 Sep 2021
altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021
It's kind of like when I once visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in Kanazawa
:lol: Wow, so cultured

All you've shown is that your understanding of music and visual art is extremely limited. By all means keep trolling if it makes you feel more adequate or whatever, but it's a bit embarrassing. You seem to be the kind of guy who stands in front of a Rothko, says "My two year old could do that" and thinks he's demonstrating exquisite aesthetic refinement
What I love most are these kind of people who are offended by somebody else somewhere in the world for having a different opinion AND DARE TO SHARE THIS OPINION ONLINE! :clap:
It's like "Mom, somebody is wrong on the Internet! My feelings are soo hurt!! I must put them in the right place!"

Keep talking about who's embarrassing! :thumbup:

dvdrtldg

03 Sep 2021

Whatever makes you think I'm "offended"? I just think you're being a bit of a knob. And you're free to carry on being a knob, no hurt feelings on my part

altron

03 Sep 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Whatever makes you think I'm "offended"? I just think you're being a bit of a knob. And you're free to carry on being a knob, no hurt feelings on my part
You're acting offended when you dis on somebody for having a different or opposing opinion and decide somebody is a troll, calling them "so cultured" and having limited understanding in art. Just because someone disregards trash spilled all over the floor as being art or generative music as being art you're offended. Did I mention I respect what others perceive as art?

Btw Trent Reznor and Rothko are both way overrated.That's just my opinion. I also regard Jerry Goldsmith and Caravaggio as far better artists. Again, my opinion. Have a nice day!

dvdrtldg

03 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
03 Sep 2021
You're acting offended when you dis on somebody for having a different or opposing opinion and decide somebody is a troll, calling them "so cultured" and having limited understanding in art.
I'm not dissing on your because you have a differing opinion. I'm dissing on you because you have a stupid opinion, combined with a very elevated view of yourself. Which makes you a comic figure, not an offensive one. Laughing at someone doesn't mean they've hurt your feelings. It just means they think you're ridiculous

Anyway, I'm sure none of this makes particularly good reading for anyone else on this thread. As you say, have a nice day

muckmclane

03 Sep 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2021

Anyway, I'm sure none of this makes particularly good reading for anyone else on this thread.
Actually I am having trouble trying to decide what I find more fascinating: AMS or that dudes list of things he doesn't like.

Something useful:
Left click + Cntrl: Insert
Left click + Shift: Randomize list
Left click + Alt: Menu
Double click: Delete (conditional: only works when certain buttons are selected)

DaveyG

03 Sep 2021

muckmclane wrote:
03 Sep 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2021

Anyway, I'm sure none of this makes particularly good reading for anyone else on this thread.
Actually I am having trouble trying to decide what I find more fascinating: AMS or that dudes list of things he doesn't like.
At least AMS comes with a manual.

• Information