Combinator 2 in rack plugin

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Popey
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

I am starting to think I am cracking up but swear I read yesterday someone said Map to Combi Control did not work in combinator 2 within the rack plugin. Been searching but cannot find the thread this was in.

Read the new r12 rack plugin manual and this implies that this does work so can anyone confirm either way. So hoping there is a combi2 livestream soon to clarify things and show off the device.

KarmaFunkarma

02 Sep 2021

Can confirm that at least in Ableton, any controls I create on the Combinator 2 panel can be mapped and automated. Works the same for VST3 and AU versions.

stratatonic

02 Sep 2021

Not working in Reaper. macOS

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

KarmaFunkarma wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Can confirm that at least in Ableton, any controls I create on the Combinator 2 panel can be mapped and automated. Works the same for VST3 and AU versions.
Hi thanks for the response I use ableton so that's good to hear. Just for clarity i am talking about assigning rack extension controls (eg filter cutoff on a rack synth) to combinator control panel using the right click map to combi in reason rack not if you can then map and automate the combi controls with live macro's. Sounds good if this works.
As an ableton user trying to figure out if worth updating reason to 12 is worth it and what mimic, combi etc bring that improves on live racks, simpler etc.
Last edited by Popey on 02 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Hi thanks for the response. Not a reaper user but hope they get this fixed for ya.

stratatonic

02 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
02 Sep 2021
stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Hi thanks for the response. Not a reaper user but hope they get this fixed for ya.
No problem. I’m not getting along with using the RRP in another DAW anyway, so I’d just as soon do any Combinator work in Reason’s included DAW... ;)

QVprod

02 Sep 2021

Can confirm it doesn't work in Studio One. S1's own macro control options pop up when right clicking. It was reported not to work in the beta so anyone who was in the beta knew it not to work. Likely because of how a native DAW handles right clicking. Greed that I'd much rather build combinators for sound design into DAW anyway. Plus in the plugin, there less reason or need to build a combinator with the way that it works.

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Can confirm it doesn't work in Studio One. S1's own macro control options pop up when right clicking. It was reported not to work in the beta so anyone who was in the beta knew it not to work. Likely because of how a native DAW handles right clicking. Greed that I'd much rather build combinators for sound design into DAW anyway. Plus in the plugin, there less reason or need to build a combinator with the way that it works.
Hi thanks for letting me know. So if for example I had a rrp and try to build a combi2 patch I can still do this just would have to manually programme like original combi instead of right click like in the daw. I was thinking I could build combi fx racks with more controls and then use them combined within ableton racks. Having more than 4 buttons on combi2 sure would be helpful but still not sure I can justify 129 for it.

deeplink
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Right-click any parameter of a device in a Combinator to quickly assign it to a control on the panel (Standalone only)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

deeplink wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Right-click any parameter of a device in a Combinator to quickly assign it to a control on the panel (Standalone only)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
Did not think of looking at release notes and went to the reason 12 rack plugin operation manual and it said you can (see image), confusing but at least i know it does not work now.

Thanks all for clearing that up :thumbup: .
rack plugin operation manual.PNG
rack plugin operation manual.PNG (154.3 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

QVprod

02 Sep 2021

Someone else answered first. But yes. You can still program but manually wit the programmer.

PhillipOrdonez

02 Sep 2021

I would just build the patches on standalone. I need RRP to load vsts!!!

That said, I've been using standalone again for music making thanks to 12 😃🎉

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Sep 2021

I quite like using live now and have been putting combi in rrp and then adding the rrp to instrument and fx racks so happy with that but the thought of more controls in combi2 is good and what interests me. Think I will probably give 12 a miss at moment though and see if there are any deals later on and consider it then. Seems weird this being first reason update I havent bought on release but for the first time I dont see the value for my own situation.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
03 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Sep 2021

I quite like using live now and have been putting combi in rrp and then adding the rrp to instrument and fx racks so happy with that but the thought of more controls in combi2 is good and what interests me. Think I will probably give 12 a miss at moment though and see if there are any deals later on and consider it then. Seems weird this being first reason update I havent bought on release but for the first time I dont see the value for my own situation.
Yeah Popey, that's cool. I think this update was more for the standalone user than the RRP. I do enjoy using live as well with the RRP, and for me, zoom at 80% is the perfect size on my screen. The benefits of cmb2 also translate to RRP, as well as the search, though that's a minor add considering the search already present in live, and not specifically useful to the standalone user, but for doing things within the RRP it is a very welcome addition. And then mimic, can't live without mimic now 😂

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Popey wrote:
03 Sep 2021

Yeah Popey, that's cool. I think this update was more for the standalone user than the RRP. I do enjoy using live as well with the RRP, and for me, zoom at 80% is the perfect size on my screen. The benefits of cmb2 also translate to RRP, as well as the search, though that's a minor add considering the search already present in live, and not specifically useful to the standalone user, but for doing things within the RRP it is a very welcome addition. And then mimic, can't live without mimic now 😂
Yeah it's kinda cool if this is more focused on daw than rrp as hopefully people will see it's not just a journey to plugin only land. If reason then add more daw workflow stuff in updates this will reinforce the point. Slowly working through videos on new stuff and watched a mimic video yesterday. It seems to have some functions simpler does not have and vice versa for stuff in simpler not in mimic so can see how they can complement each other.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2021

Nah Popey, people seem to think they are all RRP updates 😂

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Nah Popey, people seem to think they are all RRP updates 😂
Trialling 12 now as I type on reason+ (cancelled sub already so no way I can forget). I can see why you have been working in reason more as combi2 is still good in rrp but a lot slicker and far quicker in the daw. Quite like mimic preserve transients button but this device is very much built for the daw or it should be able to read ableton samples 😂. Really surprised they didnt work as it is usually live in their adverts.

Overall some pretty nifty upgrades for daw users, sadly not enough for me at £129 at moment. Still 6 more days to mess with it though (and visit the manual as I could not find a way to rename combi so they were not just control 1, control 2 etc)

PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2021

I'm going to use the sh out of it in the RRP too though 😂
Mimic is brilliant, and making combinator patches on standalone is great for the RRP too, now if only RRP loaded vst that would make me so much happier 😂

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Mimic is brilliant, and making combinator patches on standalone is great for the RRP too, now if only RRP loaded vst that would make me so much happier 😂
Ha ha yeah. I know it's not the same but you can always combi up in the rrp and then stick it in a live instrument rack with vst chains until it does.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
03 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Ha ha yeah. I know it's not the same but you can always combi up in the rrp and then stick it in a live instrument rack with vst chains until it does.
Yeah I do that... But I'm liking using vsts in the rack as if they were rack extensions. If RRP could load vst I could go wild making all the most used patches and use them everywhere, instead of making patches for standalone and patches for RRP.

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Popey wrote:
03 Sep 2021

Yeah I do that... But I'm liking using vsts in the rack as if they were rack extensions. If RRP could load vst I could go wild making all the most used patches and use them everywhere, instead of making patches for standalone and patches for RRP.
Yeah that would be the perfect scenario 👍

Skimrok

04 Sep 2021

I'm now dipping my toe into RRP with S1 hence nothing new from me for a month or so on the forum with new tunes , Popey how are you finding RRP with A LIVE ?
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Popey
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2021

Skimrok wrote:
04 Sep 2021
I'm now dipping my toe into RRP with S1 hence nothing new from me for a month or so on the forum with new tunes , Popey how are you finding RRP with A LIVE ?
Hi Skimrok,

I am really enjoying using rrp with live. Very easy to set up and map to macros etc and overall it has ran pretty solid for me. New combinator brings a lot more flexibility as well.

hope you get back on with the tunes soon :thumbup:

• Information