Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
moalla

01 Sep 2021

first i´ve got a failure with the orkester soundbank, but also without some sounds the installation worked
first the visual represantation hangs, but after 20seconds the graphics run smooth.
First impression nice, it really looks different to the old gui, but the best thing for me Reason now runs smoother and my 12core cpu could make much more reason task :thumbup:
I´m coming from 10 and yeah beatmap is a nice gimik, but quartet and sweeper are not my case in conclusion to things like synapse analog phaser etc.
Really amazing thing with a customizable combinator and now i must learn some new stuff what i can do with the sequencer.
nice night folks
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

joeyluck

01 Sep 2021

ab459 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Sorry did not followed v12 whole topics yet, think to try demo, it will install ok parallel with v11 suite ? Particularry i mean - rack plugin will not replace to new ?
Just want to compare in terms of cpu usage before upgrade. (Maybe someone did compare already ?)
When you install, click the custom install button and uncheck the formats of the RRP you don't want to install so that those aren't overwritten.

But if you are trying to compare RRP performance, you will have to overwrite. You can first however, backup a copy of the R11 RRP, or you can reinstall R11 RRP after...

moalla

01 Sep 2021

could it be, that proppelerheads updated the old stock effects, like filter, delay, phaser...?
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

ab459

01 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021
ab459 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Sorry did not followed v12 whole topics yet, think to try demo, it will install ok parallel with v11 suite ? Particularry i mean - rack plugin will not replace to new ?
Just want to compare in terms of cpu usage before upgrade. (Maybe someone did compare already ?)
When you install, click the custom install button and uncheck the formats of the RRP you don't want to install so that those aren't overwritten.

But if you are trying to compare RRP performance, you will have to overwrite. You can first however, backup a copy of the R11 RRP, or you can reinstall R11 RRP after...
Ehh ok got it, ty. (Pity a bit, just thought to compare RRP's both versions face to face too, well ok).

zoidkirb

01 Sep 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Right-click any parameter of a device in a Combinator to quickly assign it to a control on the panel (Standalone only)

<<<- that suxx.. any *reason* for this? ^^
Disappointing. I hope they fix that, just like they added TAB to flip rack in the RRP.

chaosroyale

01 Sep 2021

Trialed it, impressions:

Rack layout is ugly. Different-width devices, gaps..it looks like a pile of Jenga now, not unified like before. Lots of thick borders and wasted space. Putting a combinator inside a mix channel gives you 3 thick borders (wooden rack border, mix channel border, combinator border) before you get to the actual devices. The heavy shadows look really ugly and fake. Dragging devices around in the rack is clunkier than in R11 and the UI tries to limit where you can put things. Very "flickery" when dragging things around. Some buggy looking devices (things not lining up correctly).

Combinator 2 does almost everything I wanted it to, function-wise. Really cool potential.

Automation Labels - they finally work!

Mimic - just another sampler, rather like "simpler".

Performance - Opening devices felt a little slower?? CPU when playing tracks was about the same, but when it hit the limit, it broke down much worse than R11. Instead of manageable clicks and stutters, it glitched and froze for a long time.

Groove mixer - looks exactly like Ableton Live. Very Freudian. I never use it anyway but I thought it was funny.

and...That's it, right? That's literally all there is. No sequencer or workflow improvements.

So finally - I really want to like the customizable Combinator 2, but Reason 12 feels clunky and unfinished overall. I think Reason 11 with the Combinator 2 would be more usable than R12...I'd buy it as an RE (!!!). And the sequencer / DAW side of Reason has obviously been abandoned, but that's not a surprise to anyone. Anyway, time to uninstall.

DNGmaestro
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Exowildebeest wrote:
01 Sep 2021
DNGmaestro wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Where can we try the new patches? Is there a specific place to go or are they just among the other sounds?
Scroll down here:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/comb ... -reason-12
That doesn't say where the patches are. It just says there are new patches. I guess they're spread out through all the others?
It's not very clear really.

joeyluck

01 Sep 2021

DNGmaestro wrote:
01 Sep 2021
That doesn't say where the patches are. It just says there are new patches. I guess they're spread out through all the others?
It's not very clear really.
They are scattered throughout the FSB.

In that blog is there is a .favo file. You place that with your other favorites here:

macOS: Users/username/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason
Windows: %APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software\Reason

Then when you look at Reason's Browser, open the favorites list for "New in Reason 12".

npinero1

01 Sep 2021

I have now tried a few of my heaviest songs and have had NO issues even when dropping the buffer to 64. I really appreciate that! Thank you!
I did not really need the MIMIC or Combinator 2 but hopefully I will find use for them soon.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

Loque

01 Sep 2021

npinero1 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I have now tried a few of my heaviest songs and have had NO issues even when dropping the buffer to 64. I really appreciate that! Thank you!
I did not really need the MIMIC or Combinator 2 but hopefully I will find use for them soon.
I'd rather had seen an improvement of an existing sampler, but you can have easily nice results with Mimic. So give it a try.

And C2 is just woah!
Reason12, Win10

OverneathTheSkyBridg

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
npinero1 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I'd rather had seen an improvement of an existing sampler, but you can have easily nice results with Mimic. So give it a try.

And C2 is just woah!
I really enjoyed opening up the NN-XT at 140%, which made it just right on a 15" laptop screen. Made me actually want to program it. I just wish the rest of the application didn't also zoom up to those levels.

LiberalTugboat

01 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Does anyone know - if I have already Reason 12 license written on my dongle, will I have any problems downgrading to Reason 11 ? The more I test Reason 12, the more I miss Reason 11 :(
Your dongle? You mean Computer Authorization? Reason doesn't support USB Ignition Key dongles anymore. Anyway, if you bought Reason 11 and Reason 12, you still have access to both. No biggie.
Since when? Is this a new change in 12?

ProfessaKaos

01 Sep 2021

Since Reason now utilizes your GPU, does allow for more DSP headroom within a project?
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Loque

01 Sep 2021

ProfessaKaos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Since Reason now utilizes your GPU, does allow for more DSP headroom within a project?
Yes. It's faster on my side. Graphics too and smoother.
Reason12, Win10

ProfessaKaos

01 Sep 2021

moalla wrote:
01 Sep 2021
first i´ve got a failure with the orkester soundbank, but also without some sounds the installation worked
first the visual represantation hangs, but after 20seconds the graphics run smooth.
First impression nice, it really looks different to the old gui, but the best thing for me Reason now runs smoother and my 12core cpu could make much more reason task :thumbup:
I´m coming from 10 and yeah beatmap is a nice gimik, but quartet and sweeper are not my case in conclusion to things like synapse analog phaser etc.
Really amazing thing with a customizable combinator and now i must learn some new stuff what i can do with the sequencer.
nice night folks
What is your 12 core CPU? I have a 12core cpu also, so curious which CPU you are referring to.
Also what do you mean by "my 12core cpu can make much more reason task"?
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

ProfessaKaos

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
ProfessaKaos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Yes. It's faster on my side. Graphics too and smoother.
Legend, thanks for the quick reply.

Pepin

01 Sep 2021

After playing around with it more, I'm definitely noticing UI all around feels a bit sluggish in comparison to R11.
The interesting thing is the rack plugin still performs just fine (in Logic).
It's subtle, but dragging any knob, slider, etc. in the rack plugin feels like it animates at a higher framerate than it does in standalone reason.

Various UI operations also have a bit of a lag. Switching in and out of Blocks mode is a good example, where it used to feel more snappy.

Michaellos

01 Sep 2021

LiberalTugboat wrote:
01 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Your dongle? You mean Computer Authorization? Reason doesn't support USB Ignition Key dongles anymore. Anyway, if you bought Reason 11 and Reason 12, you still have access to both. No biggie.
Since when? Is this a new change in 12?
My ignition key works fine - and this is really great, nothing disappeared from my account :thumbup:

And there are two more bugs that I have noticed in Reason 12 - very often I have to press tab twice to get to back side.
The folders in the browser for Instruments and FX don't stay collapsed if needed - really annoying :twisted:

I am going back to Reason 11 - R 12 the way it is released for now is just f..ing slow and buggy with worse performance :twisted:
Is that what is called a good test before the release ?

Proboscis

01 Sep 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Automation Labels - they finally work!
Praise be to Shiva ! It's great to see a decade-old sloppy oversight be FIXED.

Can someone show me a screenshot of the Automation lanes displaying their custom label entry on the Combi controls ?

Proboscis

01 Sep 2021

If anyone with a crap PC can share their experience, this would be great. There still seems to be discussion around the HD GUI that's unfavorable. My main studio PC is an old 15-4590S 3.00Ghz, and no graphics card (graphics are integrated)

joeyluck

01 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Can someone show me a screenshot of the Automation lanes displaying their custom label entry on the Combi controls ?
:lol: You need a picture to believe it?
Like this?

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 11.08.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 11.08.16 PM.png (122.91 KiB) Viewed 35817 times

Proboscis

01 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Proboscis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Like this?
Did you custom name each of those elements, or are they inherited from whatever device your combi controls are connected to ?

QVprod

01 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Like this?
Did you custom name each of those elements, or are they inherited from whatever device your combi controls are connected to ?
Apparently the picture still wasn’t enough for belief :lol:

Yes the labels match the combi controls automatically. Names of combi controls are custom as they always were.

To be fair though Joey’s using a custom skin which allows you to hide the text labels in lieu of having your own included in the backdrop design.

joeyluck

01 Sep 2021

Proboscis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Like this?
They are custom named, but I also named them the same as the VST targets.

viewtopic.php?p=570224#p570224

lowtom

02 Sep 2021

Combi 2 is great. I do not care about Mimic or HD graphics. I wanted advanced Combi so badly in the past, but now that I have it, I realised I will make even less music. Drowning in designing/patching instead and I'm not sure if I want to.
I think I will use my 333 with R+ to play a little and stick to 11 for now. For me 12 still feels like beta.
:reason: :refill: :re:

• Information