Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

31 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
31 Aug 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Aug 2021
They both playback samples, but one of them can turn said samples into something completely different and the other can't even come close. You can use both as drum machines though, one of them is a drum machine, the other isn't.
Fair one, I prob should have been a bit more specific. Just feels like mimic eats UCD's lunch a bit if you use mimic for 8 one shot drum samples with multi slot mode. Almost like you could 'mimic' UCD with Mimic pretty closely :)
No doubt. Only thing mimic doesn't have that umpf does is a master compressor, the chop effect, and the dedicated distortion effects, otherwise mimic does everything, and then a lot more 😂

AnotherMathias

31 Aug 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
31 Aug 2021

Fair one, I prob should have been a bit more specific. Just feels like mimic eats UCD's lunch a bit if you use mimic for 8 one shot drum samples with multi slot mode. Almost like you could 'mimic' UCD with Mimic pretty closely :)
No doubt. Only thing mimic doesn't have that umpf does is a master compressor, the chop effect, and the dedicated distortion effects, otherwise mimic does everything, and then a lot more 😂
And the send delay, and the reverb with the 10 convolution options. Both easily replaceable with stock devices. I’d rather have the two FX sends in Mimic. In general the two Umph devices are a bit silly, focusing more on a canned attitude than usefulness and versatility.
The drum sequencer player that’s bundled with them is great though.

joeyluck

01 Sep 2021

In case you have missed it, Mimic has been updated with the official release of R12.
Mimic has been updated to Version 1.1.1
  • Added root note detection, click SET next to the waveform overview
  • Optimizations for better performance in time stretch modes and when playing high octaves
Mimic.png
Mimic.png (491.93 KiB) Viewed 3353 times

jamespember
Reason Studios

01 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021
In case you have missed it, Mimic has been updated with the official release of R12.
Mimic has been updated to Version 1.1.1
  • Added root note detection, click SET next to the waveform overview
  • Optimizations for better performance in time stretch modes and when playing high octaves

Mimic.png
And the first Sound Pack using Mimic courtesy of Nick over at SKP!

https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/394

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
01 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Mimic.png

Holy crap that sounds awesome! Nick is probably one of my favorite sound designers right now - found some of his new Combi in 12’s presets - the auto-drum machines are some of my favorites!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

nickb523
RE Developer

01 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021
jamespember wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Holy crap that sounds awesome! Nick is probably one of my favorite sound designers right now - found some of his new Combi in 12’s presets - the auto-drum machines are some of my favorites!
Cheers Enoch. I've been absolutely dying to share the demos of those patches since July. Each one can function as a standalone piece of ambient music with no additional elements required and to change it up all you need to do is swap out the samples. Mimic is like an 8 way Grain so the Combis are greatly simplified.

There are more recent Combi 2 patches in the factory bank based on the same idea except using a few instances of Grain and some FX to create a soundscape generator type device. Work on one layer at a time, experiment with swapping out the samples and tweak the Combi controls - You should be able to make tons of different soundscapes using that method.

The patches are in the Textures & Musical FX folder -

Machine Room Depths
Marine Drifter
Temporal Shift

My next "Patch from Scratch" video is going to be about creating these soundscape patches in Mimic and then doing the full combinator build from start to finish. That should cover many tutorial aspects of Mimic and Combi 2 in maybe a 20 min video. It should have been done for today but unfortunately I have a god damn cold sore so I'd rather not put my ugly mug in a video until it's gone! :lol:

Anyway, hope you have fun with the patches. :)

Gosh

01 Sep 2021

Hi Nick, please don't forget as non-subscribers and make some new refills in the future...

Yonatan

01 Sep 2021

Was about to try Mimic and looked for the sample record button, and did not see any. Would not that be handy for such an intuitive creative device?
Is it on the ”to do list”?

Loque

01 Sep 2021

Yonatan wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Was about to try Mimic and looked for the sample record button, and did not see any. Would not that be handy for such an intuitive creative device?
Erm...it does not work?
2021-09-01 15_37_46-Reason Studios Mimic Creative Sampler für Reason 12 und Reason+ _ gearnews.de.jpg
2021-09-01 15_37_46-Reason Studios Mimic Creative Sampler für Reason 12 und Reason+ _ gearnews.de.jpg (18.62 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Cheers Enoch. I've been absolutely dying to share the demos of those patches since July. Each one can function as a standalone piece of ambient music with no additional elements required and to change it up all you need to do is swap out the samples. Mimic is like an 8 way Grain so the Combis are greatly simplified.

There are more recent Combi 2 patches in the factory bank based on the same idea except using a few instances of Grain and some FX to create a soundscape generator type device. Work on one layer at a time, experiment with swapping out the samples and tweak the Combi controls - You should be able to make tons of different soundscapes using that method.

Machine Room Depths
Marine Drifter
Temporal Shift

My next "Patch from Scratch" video is going to be about creating these soundscape patches in Mimic and then doing the full combinator build from start to finish. That should cover many tutorial aspects of Mimic and Combi 2 in maybe a 20 min video. It should have been done for today but unfortunately I have a god damn cold sore so I'd rather not put my ugly mug in a video until it's gone! :lol:

That's awesome man! Question: are any of the following presets from you in 12?

Deep Electronica 95bpm
Lead the Way 108bpm
IDM Driver 95bpm
Clockwatcher 98bpm

These use a Pulverizer with "SKP" loaded as a preset, but I'm not sure.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Yonatan

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Yonatan wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Erm...it does not work?

2021-09-01 15_37_46-Reason Studios Mimic Creative Sampler für Reason 12 und Reason+ _ gearnews.de.jpg
Man, I need some glasses! 😬 Or use my bigger display instead of 13”.
Am so used to find it on top of devices.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Will surely have fun with sampling in this Mimic sampler

Tiny Montgomery

01 Sep 2021

Gosh wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Hi Nick, please don't forget as non-subscribers and make some new refills in the future...
I'm finding some great SKP patches in the Reason 12 showcase shortcut, 8am Reflections is my favourite so far. Well done Nick!

Tiny Montgomery

01 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Machine Room Depths
Marine Drifter
Temporal Shift

Will watch.

nickb523
RE Developer

01 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Deep Electronica 95bpm
Lead the Way 108bpm
IDM Driver 95bpm
Clockwatcher 98bpm

Yeah those are mine. Most should have some variation of SKP prefixed effect in there. There are also some new ones there for the classic devices. Here is a full list...

Combinator 2 -

8AM Reflection
Black Dog Shuffle 90bpm [RUN]
Clockwatcher 98bpm [RUN]
Cornish Acid
Darkened Pathways Split
Deep Electronica 95bpm [RUN]
Distant Contemplation
Dreams of Home
Ethereal Twinkle Split
Granular Spooks
IDM Driver 95bpm [RUN]
Lead the Way 108bpm [RUN]
Liquid Melancholy
Machine Room Depths
Marine Drifter
Over Yonder
Retro Future Split
Tears in the Grain
Temporal Shift
Trancey Datarhythm

Europa -

Tommib Keys
Nostalgic Memories
Subnautic Navigation
Weather Balloon
LoFi Trance Man

Grain -

Cuna Bula
Ethereal Interlude
All Over Now
Tide of Emotion
Bocumic Transition
Lost Souls

Malstrom -

Colorful Fire
Ooh Be Do
Threes Teardrop

Subtractor -

Classiq Movement
Lonesome Ownsome
Rhombus

Thor -

Warm Noodler
Beams of Light
Tearful Joy

I'd really like to have had more time with the Combi 2 patches but it came right down to the wire before we got a patch ready version. My next sound pack is going to be a more proper "device style" pack that focuses on outside field recordings. It'll be along the lines of my Aura-7 RE but a Combi version with exclusive samples and most likely an autumnal theme. Look out for that late September/Early October time. :)

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Deep Electronica 95bpm
Lead the Way 108bpm
IDM Driver 95bpm
Clockwatcher 98bpm

Yeah those are mine. Most should have some variation of SKP prefixed effect in there. There are also some new ones there for the classic devices. Here is a full list...

Combinator 2 -

8AM Reflection
Black Dog Shuffle 90bpm [RUN]
Clockwatcher 98bpm [RUN]
Cornish Acid
Darkened Pathways Split
Deep Electronica 95bpm [RUN]
Distant Contemplation
Dreams of Home
Ethereal Twinkle Split
Granular Spooks
IDM Driver 95bpm [RUN]
Lead the Way 108bpm [RUN]
Liquid Melancholy
Machine Room Depths
Marine Drifter
Over Yonder
Retro Future Split
Tears in the Grain
Temporal Shift
Trancey Datarhythm

Europa -

Tommib Keys
Nostalgic Memories
Subnautic Navigation
Weather Balloon
LoFi Trance Man

Grain -

Cuna Bula
Ethereal Interlude
All Over Now
Tide of Emotion
Bocumic Transition
Lost Souls

Malstrom -

Colorful Fire
Ooh Be Do
Threes Teardrop

Subtractor -

Classiq Movement
Lonesome Ownsome
Rhombus

Thor -

Warm Noodler
Beams of Light
Tearful Joy

I'd really like to have had more time with the Combi 2 patches but it came right down to the wire before we got a patch ready version. My next sound pack is going to be a more proper "device style" pack that focuses on outside field recordings. It'll be along the lines of my Aura-7 RE but a Combi version with exclusive samples and most likely an autumnal theme. Look out for that late September/Early October time. :)
Nice!!!! Thanks for sharing this - will definitely keep an eye (ear) out for the autumn-themed pack! And for the record, I sat there and played with Deep Electronica 95bpm (personal favorite!!!), Lead the Way 108bpm, and IDM Driver 95bpm for like 2 hours. Instant song inspiration! :thumbup:

nickb523
RE Developer

01 Sep 2021

Gosh wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Don't worry Gosh. The plan is still the same as it was a few months back. Now I'm finished up with Reason 12 I can now get on with other projects. RS also just put the shop back at the top of the main website which makes me feel like new releases will at least be visible.

First up is a ReFill for either Grain or Mimic (or a combination of) that is going to be an expanded version of the autumnal pack I mentioned in the above post. Plan for that to release is end of November to early December.

After that is a big expansion ReFill for Algoritm containing the usual 250 patches. I've been waiting for Combi 2 as it will feature heavily there. Release date will be around February/March time.

Also in the pipeline is remasters of all my ReFills to date. I'm not sure yet if there will be additional patches but the main purpose of these is to bring in Combi 2 features. There will also be more polished cover art etc. And yes, they will be made available for free to existing users.

So yeah. You've definitely not been forgotten but it's going to take a bit of time to all come together!

Cheers for the support! :)

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
First up is a ReFill for either Grain or Mimic (or a combination of) that is going to be an expanded version of the autumnal pack I mentioned in the above post. Plan for that to release is end of November to early December.
This is awesome news, because one of my biggest disappointments with the release of Mimic was the virtual absence of any decent presets in R+ (and now R12). Really can't wait to see what you do with it, especially if Dark Cinemascapes is any indication! :thumbup:

Tenbrink

01 Sep 2021

So I got my R12 update today and have been playing with Mimic for 2 hours.

What is the purpose of being able to use different slots for all modes? It would really be useful for e.g. slice mode if you could somehow switch between the slots with midi/automation but I can't figure out if it's even possible.

It would make individual settings for slices possible, to an extent, albeit a bit circumstantial, instead of just using several duplicates of Mimic. I really hope individual slice settings will be possible further on but maybe that is impossible with how Mimic has been created.

RoryM0

01 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
01 Sep 2021
So I got my R12 update today and have been playing with Mimic for 2 hours.

What is the purpose of being able to use different slots for all modes? It would really be useful for e.g. slice mode if you could somehow switch between the slots with midi/automation but I can't figure out if it's even possible.

It would make individual settings for slices possible, to an extent, albeit a bit circumstantial, instead of just using several duplicates of Mimic. I really hope individual slice settings will be possible further on but maybe that is impossible with how Mimic has been created.
I believe this is possible with key switching. C1 is slices in first slot, C2 slices in second slot etc

Tenbrink

01 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I believe this is possible with key switching. C1 is slices in first slot, C2 slices in second slot etc
But C1 and C2 are already occupied by slices from the sample I've sliced up.

RoryM0

01 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
01 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Oh right, I might have misunderstood.

GRIFTY

01 Sep 2021

Anyone think this could be a replacement for serato sample? I haven't found a better beat chopper yet

Barriott

02 Sep 2021

Hi
In multi slot mode is there a way of setting global mono?

Gosh

02 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Gosh wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Don't worry Gosh. The plan is still the same as it was a few months back. Now I'm finished up with Reason 12 I can now get on with other projects. RS also just put the shop back at the top of the main website which makes me feel like new releases will at least be visible.

After that is a big expansion ReFill for Algoritm containing the usual 250 patches. I've been waiting for Combi 2 as it will feature heavily there. Release date will be around February/March time.

Also in the pipeline is remasters of all my ReFills to date. I'm not sure yet if there will be additional patches but the main purpose of these is to bring in Combi 2 features. There will also be more polished cover art etc. And yes, they will be made available for free to existing users.

So yeah. You've definitely not been forgotten but it's going to take a bit of time to all come together!

Cheers for the support! :)
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, Nick. I'm very much lookig forward to your new refills and projects :clap: A new rack extension in the direction of Aura-7 would also be great. A refill for Algoritm would be very welcome here. Since I love your sound design you can certainly count me in for future refills and rack extensions from you.
All the best

RoryM0

03 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Tenbrink wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Oh right, I might have misunderstood.
So I've been saying to others that it is possible to select slots in slice mode in some way other than manually clicking on them... because I was convinced someone else said that you could... but now I actually get my hands on Mimic and I can't work out how to dynamically select which slot is playing back in slice mode? Can't see it in automation list in sequencer or combi mapping? Anyone know?

• Information