Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
V1Rotate

01 Sep 2021

EdGrip wrote:
01 Sep 2021
C2 looks like a massive upgrade for sound design, which has always been Reason's biggest strength. I look forward to seeing the new combinators! Someone can finally nail the Endless Smile/"Infinite Gurn" combinator I was trying to make but couldn't because of the lack of range and curve controls for the rotaries and various other hitches.

Not me though, or at least not unless I see anything that compels me to take money out of the Matriarch fund. ;)
This is the first thing I wanted to see / listen to. On the surface, the + packs didn’t really interest me but from what I’m hearing from the packs that are already out, the + packs in the future are going to be STELLAR!

There is a whole new canvas for the brilliant sound designers to just go nuts on. As I am not one of those people, I can’t wait to scroll the presets of what they come up with and use in my own musical journey.

-V1

Nielsen

01 Sep 2021

There’s really nothing for me in Reason 12. High resolution is great but I wouldn’t pay for it alone.

I understand that the upgraded Combinator is a big deal, but I have never really learned to fully appreciate it. All my creative energy is focused on the music, so all these customized control surfaces don’t come with a sense of familiarity, and thereby inconvenient for getting things done quickly. I totally get it’s a sound designers dream though.

Reason 12 would have been a day one purchase if it came with VST3 support, which is overdue.

V1Rotate

01 Sep 2021

Nielsen wrote:
01 Sep 2021
There’s really nothing for me in Reason 12. High resolution is great but I wouldn’t pay for it alone.

I understand that the upgraded Combinator is a big deal, but I have never really learned to fully appreciate it. All my creative energy is focused on the music, so all these customized control surfaces don’t come with a sense of familiarity, and thereby inconvenient for getting things done quickly. I totally get it’s a sound designers dream though.

Reason 12 would have been a day one purchase if it came with VST3 support, which is overdue.

VST3 support coming this year per Ryan.

-V1

slic

01 Sep 2021

+ they have already said they are working now on HD'ing the DAW parts, so 'things can only get better' as they say!

Loque

01 Sep 2021

zabukowski wrote:
01 Sep 2021
dan_g wrote:
01 Sep 2021

changelog would be highly appreciated!
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
</tldr>

Guess they did a lot of stuff. Excellent work RS Team :clap: :thumbup: :thumbs_up:

The most noticeable are clearly the HD graphics, smooth scrolling and damnit! THE NEW COMBINATOR!

Just the Reason sound is the same as in the last version :lol:
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Guess they did a lot of stuff. Excellent work RS Team

The most noticeable are clearly the HD graphics, smooth scrolling and damnit! THE NEW COMBINATOR!

Just the Reason sound is the same as in the last version :lol:
:lol: :lol: :clap:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Chizmata

01 Sep 2021

gotta admit the new combinator looks pretty amazing. will it replace the old one with back compat like the RV-7000 did or will they coexist?

also, when you introduce 4k i also want my raytracing in reason :D :D

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

Chizmata wrote:
01 Sep 2021
gotta admit the new combinator looks pretty amazing. will it replace the old one with back compat like the RV-7000 did or will they coexist?

New Combinator replaces the old and is backwards compatible - all old Combi open in the new Combi.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Chizmata

01 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Chizmata wrote:
01 Sep 2021

New Combinator replaces the old and is backwards compatible - all old Combi open in the new Combi.
nice, thx

lychee

01 Sep 2021

Without counting that the Intro and Lite versions have disappeared and that you only have the choice between the full version and the subscription (what do I hate this kind of commercial policy!).

Another thing that makes me angry about Reason 12 (yes I'm doing my French! :x ), We agree that Reason Lite was offered, either with equipment or I do not know what delirium of promotional partnership?
So why should I, who bought Intro with my money, have to pay as much for the update as the one who didn't pour money into the software?

To try to finish my post positively, the new Combinator is really a killer (well it seems), and we can now do an almost infinite number of interactions.
Even if it is a pity that there are very few striking new features apart from this Combinator, high resolution and Mimic.
Sorry it's stronger than me ... noooooo ... French comes out of there!!!
Damn, it's not possible! :lol:

Chizmata

01 Sep 2021

lychee wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Without counting that the Intro and Lite versions have disappeared and that you only have the choice between the full version and the subscription (what do I hate this kind of commercial policy!).

Another thing that makes me angry about Reason 12 (yes I'm doing my French! :x ), We agree that Reason Lite was offered, either with equipment or I do not know what delirium of promotional partnership?
So why should I, who bought Intro with my money, have to pay as much for the update as the one who didn't pour money into the software?

To try to finish my post positively, the new Combinator is really a killer (well it seems), and we can now do an almost infinite number of interactions.
Even if it is a pity that there are very few striking new features apart from this Combinator, high resolution and Mimic.
Sorry it's stronger than me ... noooooo ... French comes out of there!!!
Damn, it's not possible! :lol:
im gonna sit this one out too, i like the upgrades but its not worth 129 for me after going 11 suite just last year

Loque

01 Sep 2021

lychee wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Thats life.

I payed a few times a bit too much here and there for software. That made me a smart fox and now i pay often only a few bugs for quite expensive stuff. All i need to do is have some patience and gather some information. The drawback is, this costs time and if i had worked in that time to earn money and pay full prices, i probably now would have more money in my pocket :-D
Reason12, Win10

Maxsu

01 Sep 2021

Hey guys, how do you handle R12 with installing and using older projects with it.

When I download R12 it is starting a new installation so, do I have to download every other product (RE, Music Instruments) again or will R12 install in the already existing installation folder and I can use all RE´s and MI´s?

cheers

Loque

01 Sep 2021

Maxsu wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Hey guys, how do you handle R12 with installing and using older projects with it.

When I download R12 it is starting a new installation so, do I have to download every other product (RE, Music Instruments) again or will R12 install in the already existing installation folder and I can use all RE´s and MI´s?

cheers
You can install them different versions side by side.

Not sure how the RE are handled, since they need to be updated for HD graphics.
Reason12, Win10

Maxsu

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Maxsu wrote:
01 Sep 2021

cheers
You can install them different versions side by side.

Not sure how the RE are handled, since they need to be updated for HD graphics.
I will try it out ;)

Pepin

01 Sep 2021

Upgrade went smoothly for me, though I had to manually copy all favorites, templates, and settings over from my Suite installation. The new Combinator is very nice :clap:

Noticed a few issues. Will submit feedback, though not sure if these were already brought up by testers:
  • The browser no longer remembers what's collapsed under Instruments/Effects/Utilities/Players. This is somewhat annoying, as I have a bunch of rarely used plugins that I keep collapsed.
  • Checkboxes render incorrectly on a non-retina monitor attached to a retina macbook pro. If the window is dragged onto the macbook screen, they look correct.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 5.01.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 5.01.55 AM.png (22.47 KiB) Viewed 37406 times
  • There's a small red line always present in the details area of the browser. Seems like a mistake?
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 5.04.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 5.04.57 AM.png (19.65 KiB) Viewed 37406 times

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

Pepin wrote:
01 Sep 2021
[*]There's a small red line always present in the details area of the browser. Seems like a mistake?
Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 5.04.57 AM.png (19.65 KiB) Viewed 37298 times
[/list]
This has always been there. It allows you collapse the info window (in case you don't want to read the sample details)...

Pepin

01 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Pepin wrote:
01 Sep 2021
[*]There's a small red line always present in the details area of the browser. Seems like a mistake?
[/list]
This has always been there. It allows you collapse the info window (in case you don't want to read the sample details)...
I understand the purpose of the disclosure triangle. The issue is the bright red line underneath.

gullum

01 Sep 2021

Pepin wrote:
01 Sep 2021
  • The browser no longer remembers what's collapsed under Instruments/Effects/Utilities/Players. This is somewhat annoying, as I have a bunch of rarely used plugins that I keep collapsed.
Annoys me too

Maxsu

01 Sep 2021

Tried it out, installed R12 on my Laptop and opened a project file and had no issues. Still worried about the install on my main machine because I am ending a track soon so maybe I will wait for that till i finished him.

No install needed except the new version of R12.

EnochLight

01 Sep 2021

Pepin wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I understand the purpose of the disclosure triangle. The issue is the bright red line underneath.
Oh my bad - I thought you put that there - LOL!! Yeah that's weird - I don't see it on my machine when I have sample details expanded like you, but I do see it if it's collapsed. Probably a random graphical bug.

Snowpig

01 Sep 2021

Heater wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Still no native Mac M1 support
+1

they missed the right moment to introduce it. Very annoying.

RoryM0

01 Sep 2021

So when's the livestream?

anDre

01 Sep 2021

Is the R11 sample editor bug not fixed in R12? :x
It's not mentioned in the changelog at least so i suspect no, is that right?

Pepin

01 Sep 2021

I also noticed the "Send Error Reports and Statistics" toggle has been removed from the Advanced preferences. Uncertain whether that means we can't opt out or if that functionality has simply been removed. I can understand it being hidden during beta testing, so possibly an oversight?

Reason 11:
R11.png
R11.png (45.68 KiB) Viewed 37127 times
Reason 12:
R12.png
R12.png (36 KiB) Viewed 37127 times

• Information