[house/trance/chillout] Beach Date

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
rorystorm

31 Aug 2021

I did a bunch of tracks to see if I could write something in the vein of the house music / trance that you used to find on chillout compilations in the late 90s and early 2000s, and this is the result. It's quite cheesy but I've ended up really liking it. I also decided to experiment with chopped vocals using the slice edit function of this new sampler you might have come across.

I really wanted to have a fast turnaround as the last project I did took ages, so most of it was recorded over the weekend and then mixed and mastered on Monday afternoon and evening. As result it's quite simple compositionally - which sort of suits the genre - and maybe some of the engineering could use a little bit of work. (I was a bit heavy handed with compressing everything). But I just wanted to get it out the door so here it is.

Side bars
1. I nearly called this Sunsets and Dancefloor Sex but my workmates asked me to share some music with them, and as I'm in a team mostly made up of women 25 years younger than me that might have been a bit weird.
2. The cover photo was taken from the lounge of my old house by the beach in Plimmerton, Wellington, New Zealand. This really is what I got to see every night when I got home. Otherwise it was a horrible place to live which is why I moved.... :-)

integerpoet

31 Aug 2021

People say "cheesy" as if it were a bad thing. I'm enjoying it.

Popey
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2021

rorystorm wrote:
31 Aug 2021
I did a bunch of tracks to see if I could write something in the vein of the house music / trance that you used to find on chillout compilations in the late 90s and early 2000s, and this is the result. It's quite cheesy but I've ended up really liking it. I also decided to experiment with chopped vocals using the slice edit function of this new sampler you might have come across.

I really wanted to have a fast turnaround as the last project I did took ages, so most of it was recorded over the weekend and then mixed and mastered on Monday afternoon and evening. As result it's quite simple compositionally - which sort of suits the genre - and maybe some of the engineering could use a little bit of work. (I was a bit heavy handed with compressing everything). But I just wanted to get it out the door so here it is.

Side bars
1. I nearly called this Sunsets and Dancefloor Sex but my workmates asked me to share some music with them, and as I'm in a team mostly made up of women 25 years younger than me that might have been a bit weird.
2. The cover photo was taken from the lounge of my old house by the beach in Plimmerton, Wellington, New Zealand. This really is what I got to see every night when I got home. Otherwise it was a horrible place to live which is why I moved.... :-)
Listened to first two songs so far and liked them both. if these are cheesy then bring on the cheese :lol:

rorystorm

31 Aug 2021

Cool, thanks!

DMGuy

31 Aug 2021

Nice tracks.
MacBook Pro (i7 16 GB RAM), Reason Suite 11, Logic Pro 10.6, Ableton Live

rorystorm

31 Aug 2021

Also any technical notes would be much appreciated. For instance I struggled to get a decent bass sound, its feels a bit loud but also quite undefined.

• Information