Aggregate Music System 1.0.1 - Update available!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
olive6741

28 Aug 2021

Mataya wrote:
26 Aug 2021

OMG, here we go again. :)

M
I add here some patches I made WITHOUT randomizing parameters but trying to add 'human' settings in them (I mean understanding what was the use of parameters I modified).
I'm not sure of the results though, as my daughter said I was generating some kind of 'elevator music' :D
Not sure it's a compliment...
Maybe it's not a good idea to post this finally, but I let you see. :puf_bigsmile:
Attachments
Patches-Aggregate-Olive6741.zip
(146.12 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Mataya

28 Aug 2021

All right, the combis are quite nice, or rather hearing some parts in context with other instruments and a beat gives a different perpective on what's going on.
You can tell it's not just randomised, but it still sounds "artificial" as shit. As you dear daughter said elevator music...maybe she hear's the generic aspect of it.

Obviously this devices is more capable then we are at the moment, since it's so new. Same thing happend to me with psq. Now I can take from it what I need and when I need it, altough it's replaced with komupulsion for the most part.
I hooked agregate to modular and was trying to at least make it sound and behave as evolution RE...so far so good.

M

artotaku

28 Aug 2021

With some exercise. Lead and Chords by Aggregate.
Ah, and subtractors just sound so good.

modecca

29 Aug 2021

Give me Thor, AMS and a deserted island and I'm coo.
🔗💥

electrofux

29 Aug 2021

This thing is nutty! It produces so many usable 16-32 step patterns.

Guys when trying this out for the first time dont set the length to super long block/step lengths. It will inevitable turn into some noodling when you dont know what you are doing. But when you set it to 16-32 steps hit the random button (goto the menu first and deselect the length entry) the output is extremely good imho.

I am still trying to figure out what influences what but i love it so far.
Last edited by electrofux on 29 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Mataya

29 Aug 2021

electrofux wrote:
29 Aug 2021
This thing is nutty! It produces so many usable 16-32 step patterns.

Guys when trying this out dont set the length to super long block/step lengths. It will inevitable turn into some noodling. But when you set it to 16 steps hit the random button (goto the menu first and deselect the length entry) it is extremely good imho.

I am still trying to figure out what influences what but i love it so far.
This is also my experience so far. Short sequences and filter out some of the random options that are on by deafult and then even random buttons starts to produce crazy polyphonic sequences.
Close to buying it...

M

artotaku

29 Aug 2021

What really helps to create a more musical result is to reduce the densities of the steps in the melody section. Too many notes tend to sound robotic and too chaotic. Too many arbitrary tone jumps also sound that way, so it´s quite efficent to be repetitive and just add a little variance. As in art, "white space", emptyness, rests have a big effect.

joeyluck

29 Aug 2021

Lots of great tips here!

I just had AMS playing music for an hour while I was cleaning :)

For me, I make sure that the velocity settings are lower and I remove those from the Random options. Otherwise I'll follow it with Andrew Russell's Velocity Curve. And I also like to follow it with Static Cling's Auto Latch and the patch "Instant Drama".

electrofux

30 Aug 2021

Is it somehow possible to move the whole generation of events to the left or the right via some form of global offset so you can pick parts of the stream in the the lower window? Would be pretty cool.

A Pattern section would be a nice thing too. Or some form of Block sequencer.

Would it even be possible to remotify that thing? I find myself wanting to kindof jam this thing but dragging parameters up and down is not really jamfriendly.Having stuff layed out on a Launchpad though would be quite some fun.
The most use i would have though is if the random options would be remotified, so you can start out with full randomization and then bit by bit quickly take out the good stuff from the random function by pressing some layed out and colorized buttons (which would be obsolete if the parameters itself where remotified).

I love this device! Its so good.

Ottostrom

30 Aug 2021

Congrats to Panda for the release of this crazy and powerful player! :)

I'm also very interested in this discussion about generative music and how viable the device is for something less "random" sounding and more musical. I personally feel like this player is capable of producing some really nice song ideas, but to get something usable you kind of have to know which parameters that need to be adjusted. Less is more in this case, and hitting the random button without any adjustments made to it will probably give pretty wild results.
Definitely recommend to read through the excellent manual for a better understanding of this beast.

Unfortunately I didn't save some of the earlier attempts I had done with AMS but here is a quick thing I threw together just now which I think sounds nice considering its all being generated by one device (except for the drums):

Ottostrom

30 Aug 2021

electrofux wrote:
30 Aug 2021
Is it somehow possible to move the whole generation of events to the left or the right via some form of global offset so you can pick parts of the stream in the the lower window? Would be pretty cool.
This device actually follows the sequencer! So if you want to isolate a section and only work on that part you can loop it :thumbs_up:

kbard

30 Aug 2021

Mataya wrote:
27 Aug 2021
I acctually made this last night. I even managed to trigger a drum machine with AMS. Of course the real star of this performance is Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido.

Watch out tho, it's pretty awful.

Well I am finding this way better then any patch included or examples being posted. You always cease to amaze with your work.

Faastwalker

30 Aug 2021

kbard wrote:
30 Aug 2021
Mataya wrote:
27 Aug 2021
I acctually made this last night. I even managed to trigger a drum machine with AMS. Of course the real star of this performance is Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido.

Watch out tho, it's pretty awful.

Well I am finding this way better then any patch included or examples being posted. You always cease to amaze with your work.
I really liked that track as well. If it's all AMS it's a great example of what it can do beyond the more random, noodling we've heard.

Faastwalker

30 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
30 Aug 2021
Unfortunately I didn't save some of the earlier attempts I had done with AMS but here is a quick thing I threw together just now which I think sounds nice considering its all being generated by one device (except for the drums):
Another great example. Okay, I'm intrigued more now. The jazz player tuning their instrument stuff wasn't having me rushing for the TRY button. This stuff is.

Faastwalker

30 Aug 2021

Powell's new album, Piano Music 1-7 has an AMS vibe about it;

https://boomkat.com/products/piano-music-1-7

dvdrtldg

30 Aug 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
30 Aug 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
30 Aug 2021
Another great example. Okay, I'm intrigued more now. The jazz player tuning their instrument stuff wasn't having me rushing for the TRY button. This stuff is.
Yeah this is more like it, interesting

modecca

30 Aug 2021

Really been having too much fun with this thing the last few days.

🔗💥

ddrex
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2021

Some experimenting and having fun. Would really like some remotables especially the mutate section.

Mataya

30 Aug 2021

modecca wrote:
30 Aug 2021

WOW! :thumbup:

Ottostrom

31 Aug 2021

modecca wrote:
30 Aug 2021

Which synth/preset are you using at 5:54?
Both the sound and the AMS melody sounds really great there :)

Faastwalker

31 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
31 Aug 2021
modecca wrote:
30 Aug 2021

Which synth/preset are you using at 5:54?
Both the sound and the AMS melody sounds really great there :)
That one REALLY stuck out for me as well. Sounds like a Boards of Canada interlude. Gorgeous.

Ottostrom

31 Aug 2021

I really love how nothing is actually random in AMS and you have complete control over what it plays.
Here is another example of a more traditional composition that is all done through this thing:

I'll also include the patch if anyone is interested in how I set it up :)
Attachments
AMS - Piano Melancholy.zip
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

kbard

31 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
31 Aug 2021
I really love how nothing is actually random in AMS and you have complete control over what it plays.
Here is another example of a more traditional composition that is all done through this thing:

I'll also include the patch if anyone is interested in how I set it up :)
Yup..Awesome! Thanks for patch.

moneykube

31 Aug 2021

interested in this >but at 99 Canadian I think I'll have to wait until some future sale... besides ... I'm still learning all the other Panda devices which should keep me busy long enough> at least until the next sale in the distant future> I did grab Lancaster on sale today.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

challism

31 Aug 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
31 Aug 2021
Agreed. As much as I love Evolution, AMS has far superior controls over what is generated. If you don't like some parts of what AMS is creating, all you have to do is watch the cursers in the different fields to see what you need to adjust. This is something I have wanted more control over in Evolution... now I have it in AMS.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information