We need more color choices for mix channels

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
plasticfractal

07 Aug 2021

I can't be the only one who feels like color palette we have is limited and kind of ugly. It would be great to have different palettes to choose from, like pastel, neon, monochrome variations, etc. Or at least get a custom color picker. I know this is probably not something very many people care about, but I am really not feeling the color palette we have.

Rising Night Wave

07 Aug 2021

no, you are not - i think same. i thought something like this: main colours then shades of this main colours. and all colours sorted by colour palette. and extra option for custom colour. but i am not sure how would this be compatible with older versions.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

altron

07 Aug 2021

yes we do!
Trap is where music goes to die.

BumCuddle

07 Aug 2021

I know other software have the full spectrum eye dropper option to pick whatever you want and I can't see it being that difficult to implement. You have another vote from me :thumbup:

WOO

07 Aug 2021

I agree. I find that a lot of the clip colors are useless when editing. The color lemon and several other colors for example make it almost impossible to see the timeline markers on the grid. How does that not get fixed in development years ago. Laziness, incompetence, lack of technical expertise, stubbornness, fill in the blank. I can only speculate as to why issues like this and many others have not been addressed. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and information that they could and should have taken advantage of to make their product the best it could be and all of it free of charge. C'mon Reason that's priceless!

Billy+

07 Aug 2021

We don't need more colours and definitely not until something is done about the labels..

Light grey for everything with the dark theme enabled is all I needed

integerpoet

07 Aug 2021

For the first time I find myself agreeing strongly with a quality-of-life DAW feature request thread.

I want to be able to choose a base color and variants for buses, and the available color set isn't adequate for that at scale. (This is especially true if you avoid dark colors because waveforms are always black.)

For example, if have two groups of five sopranos, I might want:
  • yellow for the individual singers in the first group and a darker yellow for their bus
  • red for the individual singers in the second group and a darker red for their bus
  • orange for the bus for the two groups
It would be cool if mix buses had a default color derived from their input channels. Then I wouldn't even have to choose bus colors if I like the ones Reason comes up with on its own. (Of course, it wouldn't always be possible to choose a "sensible" color for every mix bus, but for a situation like the one I described above, it should be.)

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Aug 2021

I cosign

KGB

16 Aug 2021

+1 for me

jakecento

30 Aug 2021

This would be a small improvement that I think could dramatically improve the user experience of a lot of Reason users who would like to organize their tracks, songs, and arrangements by color more meticulously and to have enough colors for blocks, instruments/effects to all use unique colors. (currently I have to use the same colors for instruments and blocks- which wouldn't be so if I could create unique color schemes for each- granted there are some colors I refuse to use because they are so ugly! )

Ultimately if this was improved upon- I would hope to have the options to assign name and save custom colors using RGB and/or HEX values. A color wheel/picker would make sense here too- but I wouldn't want to get greedy or steal effort from other more useful DAW improvements.

+1 for me- I would really like to see more color choices and the ability to add custom colors as well.
Reason 11 Suite // Native Instruments Komplete 13
TASCAM Model 12 // Alesis Elevate 4
Windows 10 Home 64x // i7-8750H // 16GB RAM

motuscott

30 Aug 2021

First they came for the esthetes and I said nothing because I have no sense of beauty
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Creativemind

30 Aug 2021

plasticfractal wrote:
07 Aug 2021
I can't be the only one who feels like color palette we have is limited and kind of ugly. It would be great to have different palettes to choose from, like pastel, neon, monochrome variations, etc. Or at least get a custom color picker. I know this is probably not something very many people care about, but I am really not feeling the color palette we have.
I feel the same. I made a post over on Facebook a few days ago about how much I disliked that Lemon colour. I made it as a bit of joke with the title, "Does anyone actually like the colour Lemon?" or something like that. It got quite a lot of responses. A lot more than I was expecting. A funny response I got was, "If life gives you lemon, make lemonade" lol!

I think we should have a full colour pallet at this stage (isn't that 256 colours?) It will probably receive the same reaction here though as when I have suggested in the past there should be a decent in built note/lyricpad.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

30 Aug 2021

WOO wrote:
07 Aug 2021
I agree. I find that a lot of the clip colors are useless when editing. The color lemon and several other colors for example make it almost impossible to see the timeline markers on the grid. How does that not get fixed in development years ago. Laziness, incompetence, lack of technical expertise, stubbornness, fill in the blank. I can only speculate as to why issues like this and many others have not been addressed. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and information that they could and should have taken advantage of to make their product the best it could be and all of it free of charge. C'mon Reason that's priceless!
I think it may have been this thing that Mattius touched upon in the Mimic stream the other day when he said things were never altered or worked upon again once created, so pretty much abandoned. The browser, blocks and themes immediately spring to mind there. As regards themes, they were added in version 9, 3 whole versions ago and not 1 other theme since? and we still can't have them affect the mixer and still have to restart the program to apply. So it was a philosophy they had, hate to say it but it rather annoyed me, why not update things? I suppose we have had some updates to existing things such as Dr.Octo.Rex from Dr.Rex, the RV7000 MkII and an extra 12 colours were added in Reason 8.1 think it was but that's 3 things in nearly 21 years. Oh sorry, the loading your own user wave was added to Europa in an update I think too so make that 4 lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Clos3r

03 Jan 2022

:thumbup:
1+ for me! Would be such an easy way to tidy up the sequencer!

In other DAWs you can chose from a rainbow colour palette, it shouldn't be such a big issue, as midi and audio clips are all just vector data.

I'm okay if I cannot chose between 200k colours but Reasons colour palette feels kinda random at the moment.
Hi, I'm Nordsun. I'm one of the best producers in the world, maybe the best when it comes to making detailed landscapes or composing vivid scenes only with sound. Feel free to check out my music at https://nordsun.bandcamp.com.

Fusion

17 Jan 2022

+1 for me

elkmony

19 Jan 2022

I think this is one of the things that is not necessary for Reason's main goal: Making music making fun.
However, if I try to do some "serious" music, I want to have nice colour coordination for all my basses, synths, drums, percs etc., with different channels for the busses and so on.

Also, as others have said: Some colours are either bad (hard to read/see) or hard to distinguish from other colours.

Also, for real, this is one feature that cannot be difficult to implement from a coding perspective! With other things, I can understand why updating is hard, but this should not be.

npinero1

19 Jan 2022

1000% agree. I group my instrument/vocal tracks by color including the busses.
- Drum Bus= Dark Blue
- Drum instruments= Blue
- Bass Buss= Dark Orange
- Bass= Orange
- Guitar Bus= Maroon
- Guitar= Red
- Keys/Synth Buss=Sky Blue
- Keys/ Synth = Light blue
- Vocal Bus= Brown
- Vocals= Tan
- Sound FX/Other Buss = Dark Green
- Sound FX/Other = Green
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

bxbrkrz

19 Jan 2022

Obviously.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

• Information