DAW-less (sort of).... - Panorama P1 and Arturia KeyStep Pro - Dreamteam?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
pummelfee

27 Aug 2021

As Reason still feels like some kind of hardware, i want to go deeper into this concept. I want to have a more „haptic” interface then the mouse, so the P1 seems to be a good idea (and also not the most expensive one). On the other hand, for jamming with sequences the KeyStep looks interesting.
I just use a minimalistic setup in Reason 10, mainly with Thor, Europa and Kong and some bread & butter FX for jamming. But without controllers it is not so much fun then it could be, i think.

Any suggestions for a setup with Reason that feels a bit DAW-less...?

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2021

I went with the Novation SL mk III as my main Reason controller that also functions as my main live "non-DAW" controller. The built in sequencing, similar to what you'd get with the Keystep Pro, actually comes in quite handy.
I've started MANY ideas with the built in sequencer in the Mk III, and it's super easy to transfer them (in real time) to Reason for further development. But I really like the step entry on the Mk III, being able to click on a step then play the note/chord for that step. Additionally, there's a super cool benefit to this approach in that you can trigger that note/chord you recorded on each step with the pads, allowing you to interact and explore other options starting with your existing note/chord data. This also happens to make a great custom chord player, which is also able to be sent to Reason as MIDI data for further work (and the source of more than a few song ideas, which is how I judge a devices usefulness for me!).

All to say I didn't think I needed the sequencing features of the keyboard, but I find it very useful and fun for generating quick ideas that I wouldn't necessarily do in the Reason sequencer.
Selig Audio, LLC

demt

27 Aug 2021

Nektar aura is a good addition for that criteria
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

pummelfee

30 Aug 2021

demt wrote:
27 Aug 2021
Nektar aura is a good addition for that criteria
Sounds cool. Is there a video showing this in action with Reason?

miyaru

31 Aug 2021

The gap between hardware en software closed, or only for Live lovers..........?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

• Information