Aggregate Music System 1.0.1 - Update available!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Mataya

26 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Something I put together with just hitting the random button at the top of the Aggregate Music System RE for two devices.. Kong & Monotone Bass... 105 bpm (As a .WAV or .AIFF file it loops perfectly but I've uploaded an .mp3 file which won't perfectly loop unless cut in some audio editor)

Aggregate Music System Loop 128.mp3
OMG, here we go again. :)

M

Sterioevo

26 Aug 2021

Nothing nice to say you won't last long in this Mathematical Universe.
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 9.16.52 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 9.16.52 pm.png (63.94 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Well done Lectric Panda.

Billy+

26 Aug 2021

It's a crazy device but there's one thing I would like to see added.

Outputs on the back so I can route to other devices.

RoryM0

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021

Yes.

Billy+

26 Aug 2021

I got a strange situation:-

Click random whole patch button and some values are -14 -10 etc but when I try to manually set a value these options aren't available?

It might be handy to be able to adjust the value +-1

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021

ValUpDown.gif
ValUpDown.gif (87.96 KiB) Viewed 6823 times

Billy+

26 Aug 2021

rcbuse wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021

ValUpDown.gif
Yeah thanks, took a break and figured it, I was on options instead of value :lol:

challism

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021

I would be surprised if those aren't coming in a future update... just look at all the other LP devices; Rob likes CV.
In the meantime, you can use MIDI CV Converters (or LP CVPT) and another player to filter notes you don't want (LP UTL, Andrew Russell Denote, Tonic Mint InRange, Static Cling Delta, Enlightenspeed Note Filter).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

26 Aug 2021

challism wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021

I would be surprised if those aren't coming in a future update... just look at all the other LP devices; Rob likes CV.
In the meantime, you can use MIDI CV Converters (or LP CVPT) and another player to filter notes you don't want (LP UTL, Andrew Russell Denote, Tonic Mint InRange, Static Cling Delta, Enlightenspeed Note Filter).
It's less about not wanting the note but more about directing them to other devices melody to synth accompanies to elsewhere and keeping the overlaps intact.

challism

26 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021
challism wrote:
26 Aug 2021

It's less about not wanting the note but more about directing them to other devices melody to synth accompanies to elsewhere and keeping the overlaps intact.
OK, then, bypass the filtering and just use MIDI CV Converters. Even easier.

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Aug 2021

I would suggest the best way of keeping the parts separate is using the offsets of the melody and accompaniment, push them up and down one or two octaves, split them combinator keyrange, then inside the combinator use a UTL with note offset in the opposite direction +24 or -24.
Screenshot 2021-08-26 133458.jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-26 133458.jpg (471.5 KiB) Viewed 6789 times

Billy+

26 Aug 2021

:thumbup: would still prefer to be able to bounce midi to separate tracks :thumbs_up:

modecca

26 Aug 2021

I prefer the results that come with understanding this thing (nice patch catblack), as contrast to the chaos that ensues hitting the global random button(and that's coming from a randomizing maniac).
One thing I like about this player, is that once you find a simple phrase you like, there are countless variations you have instant access to.
🔗💥

Catblack

26 Aug 2021

modecca wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I prefer the results that come with understanding this thing (nice patch catblack), as contrast to the chaos that ensues hitting the global random button(and that's coming from a randomizing maniac).
One thing I like about this player, is that once you find a simple phrase you like, there are countless variations you have instant access to.
Thank you, oh wise gnostic master.

One thing I found helpful was to set loop points in the sequencer and focus on a particular section. I have no idea how this player responds to where you are in the song file, but it does, and does it well. So you can jump back and loop a section while it plays.

Also the Mutate affects the Rhythm section and I that makes things get a little crazy, too.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

artotaku

26 Aug 2021

The best way for me at least to approach this thing is
  1. read the manual
  2. start simple with the shortest sequence, no chords, just a bass line and tweak one parameter at a time
  3. read the manual again
  4. try to take over a "conventional" chord progression you did somewhere else and recreate it in Aggregate
  5. as soon as you have a better understanding of the device tweak it more
  6. two weeks later.... hit the randomize button :puf_bigsmile:

challism

26 Aug 2021

artotaku wrote:
26 Aug 2021
The best way for me at least to approach this thing is
  1. read the manual
  2. start simple with the shortest sequence, no chords, just a bass line and tweak one parameter at a time
  3. read the manual again
  4. try to take over a "conventional" chord progression you did somewhere else and recreate it in Aggregate
  5. as soon as you have a better understanding of the device tweak it more
  6. two weeks later.... hit the randomize button :puf_bigsmile:
ha ha ha ha, LOVE THIS!
Billy+ wrote:
26 Aug 2021
:thumbup: would still prefer to be able to bounce midi to separate tracks :thumbs_up:
For now, all you can do is:
Turn off the "accompaniment" and bounce "melody" to track.
Then turn off the melody and bounce acc to track.
To your original point, CV outs would be very welcome. I agree and look forward to that (assumption) update (please please please).
Mataya wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Yes. Please don't hop on that offended train.

[/quote]

I'm not easily offended, and I wasn't offended. Why would I be? I didn't write the piece that you hate so much. AMS created it via the random button. All I did was hit that button a bunch of times until I heard something I liked, then I just routed/filtered it to different instruments, etc. It took some time to work on it, but I didn't write it; it was just part of beta testing this player. So there's nothing to be offended about anyway.

ddrex
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

This is a great device
thanks a lot for taking the time to make it
Just curious about the mutate parameters being available as keyboard controls and not remotables

teddymcw

26 Aug 2021

challism wrote:
26 Aug 2021
All I did was hit that button a bunch of times until I heard something I liked, then I just routed/filtered it to different instruments, etc.
So it WAS YOU who hit the random button on August 25th at 7:32pm?! I rest my case. ;) hah

Appreciate people posting samples of their projects, really wish that would happen more here and this may be one type of example of why that doesn't happen more often. I personally do get offended and steaming mad when someone criticizes my annunciation in a song haha.

But ya, a thanks, an appreciation and nice button hitting!

Mataya

26 Aug 2021

[/quote]

I'm not easily offended, and I wasn't offended. Why would I be? I didn't write the piece that you hate so much. AMS created it via the random button. All I did was hit that button a bunch of times until I heard something I liked, then I just routed/filtered it to different instruments, etc. It took some time to work on it, but I didn't write it; it was just part of beta testing this player. So there's nothing to be offended about anyway.
[/quote]

Ok, glad to hear that.
I just thought it's kinda silly to post sounds that AMS makes that are not that impressive and then saying this devices is awesome. Yes, it's awesome, but so far I did not hear anything that would justify that claim in terms of sound. None of the presets also didn't make an impression on me.

I'm still waiting for it to sound awesome.

tx
M

phithegoldenratio

27 Aug 2021

Mataya wrote:
26 Aug 2021

Ok, glad to hear that.
I just thought it's kinda silly to post sounds that AMS makes that are not that impressive and then saying this devices is awesome.
damnit, the only one being silly here is you, insisting your irrelevant opinion of what sounds are impressive and what not. :clap:

challism did at least provide something useful for some of us browsing the thread showing quick results of randomizing Aggregate, what did you provide?

grrrrrr

Mataya

27 Aug 2021

I acctually made this last night. I even managed to trigger a drum machine with AMS. Of course the real star of this performance is Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido.

Watch out tho, it's pretty awful.

tx
M

dvdrtldg

27 Aug 2021

Look I don't want to step on any toes here but I think Mataya has a point, even though he's being a bit of a dick about it

The little vid that challism posted is an excellent demonstration of what mashing the random button on a very complex player can do, i.e. it creates a more-or-less haphazard bunch of notes & beats. Musically, I don't particularly like it or dislike it

But what it's NOT is a demonstration of how AMS can be used as a composition tool, with the control and focus implied by the word "composition". That's what I'd really like to hear - someone taming the beast and using it for specific purposes, rather than just letting it off the leash. I've been playing with it for most of the day today, and while I've got it a lot better figured out than I did yesterday, I'm still finding the dense forest of menus and numerical inputs gets in the way of actually doing anything other than noodling. I need a hydlide or someone to come up with a really solid 20 minute video that gets past the gee-whiz factor and into the "Here's how you can create a piece of music" realm

Again, this is all by way of saying that my own creative insight into this thing is limited, I'm not meaning to shit on AMS itself

Catblack

27 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
27 Aug 2021

The little vid that challism posted is an excellent demonstration of what mashing the random button on a very complex player can do, i.e. it creates a more-or-less haphazard bunch of notes & beats. Musically, I don't particularly like it or dislike it

But what it's NOT is a demonstration of how AMS can be used as a composition tool, with the control and focus implied by the word "composition". That's what I'd really like to hear - someone taming the beast and using it for specific purposes, rather than just letting it off the leash. I've been playing with it for most of the day today, and while I've got it a lot better figured out than I did yesterday, I'm still finding the dense forest of menus and numerical inputs gets in the way of actually doing anything other than noodling.
I had a great session with it at first pairing it with Nostromo and hitting the random button on both. You can taper the amount of random (on both!) and it's fun to explore that way.

I enjoy having a random melody playing while I tweak sounds. It's clearly not a Player meant for everyone, and it's not something that writes a song for you. But, for me, it does a good job of playing while I tweak knobs. And giving me musical ideas.

I've tried lots of ways of generating midi and melodies over the years, and I'm really enjoying this. I'm going to try pairing it with my eurorack setup next week. That will be fun.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Faastwalker

27 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
27 Aug 2021
I need a hydlide or someone to come up with a really solid 20 minute video that gets past the gee-whiz factor and into the "Here's how you can create a piece of music" realm.
If ever a device needed a video/video manual it’s this one. I keep looking at it with a mix of wonder and trepidation. I feel like I could read the manual a hundred times and I’d still be confused. A video guide with real word examples would be really helpful. I know it’s going to be awesome because it’s Lectric Panda. But I need help with this one :thumbup:

• Information