Here Are Some Cool Logic Pro X + Reason Rack Tips

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
26 Aug 2021
I thought they had fixed the track naming issue? Every instrument I create is "Inst 1", "Inst 2" etc. Is there a way to get it to default to the plugin name or patch name?
I'm guessing it's some option that most developers don't bother with when building their AU effects because all of Logic's factory synths populate the name automatically even without enabling the 'Additional Name Column' setting.
All of U-he's names show up and that's probably cuz Urs is hardcore and knows his shit. Synapse's (Richard is another guy that knows his shit) plugins populate the name too. Same goes for Native Instruments. So it doesn't seem like it's a Logic thing to me but rather a developer thing. Doesn't bother me like it bothers you lol, so I haven't really paid much attention to it.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

26 Aug 2021

Hmmm... I wouldn't think anything additional work be necessary from the dev side. Patch names maybe? But plugin name? Logic knows what that is. I have never had a VST in Reason not load with the plugin name or patch name.

Oh weird. I just tested with u-he synths. Pretty buggy. The patch names only update if you move through them very slowly. If you press next a few times quickly, the patch name will never update to the one you settle on...

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Oh weird. I just tested with u-he synths. Pretty buggy. The patch names only update if you move through them very slowly. If you press next a few times quickly, the patch name will never update to the one you settle on...
Yeah, if you quickly scroll through presets the patch name has trouble populating. If you click on them one by one it's ok. I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Normally things like this would bother me, but as I'm sitting here working on a track, maybe I am realizing why it doesn't bother me, and it's probably because my track Inspector is always (ALWAYS!) open. I can always tell what plugin is on my track:

inspector.png
inspector.png (91.36 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

26 Aug 2021

hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
26 Aug 2021
Yeah, if you quickly scroll through presets the patch name has trouble populating. If you click on them one by one it's ok. I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Normally things like this would bother me, but as I'm sitting here working on a track, maybe I am realizing why it doesn't bother me, and it's probably because my track Inspector is always (ALWAYS!) open. I can always tell what plugin is on my track:

inspector.png
Yeah it does bug me quite a bit. It's been a while since I've done a google search with exclamation points :lol: I'm finding posts from users over a decade old asking for this.

In the end, Logic for me is most useful for the video support, surround editing, and MPE; the things Reason doesn't have.

Workflow though, especially for music making, I feel like Reason wins. Just the simple things like the auto-naming of tracks. Also the icon handling. I think Reason's approach to VST screenshots is clever. I tried to upload some to Logic's custom folder, but then there is no order or names associated. It's pretty messy and not geared towards exclusive icons—they just figure if you want to upload a different picture of a guitar, you can. And unlike And aside from that, with Reason, I don't need to do this manually for any track. I feel like with Logic it's much more work to get up and running and be organized.

I was bugged by only being able to open a plugin from Logic via the tiny button in the channel strip, but I learned that you can assign a key command for that, so that's helpful!

joeyluck

14 Sep 2021

Is there a way to hide the plugin toolbar/header by default?

Every plugin I open, I minimize this. I've searched the preferences and can't seem to find a way to do it. Is there a way to not have this open with every plugin I create?

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 2.47.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 2.47.55 PM.png (16.05 KiB) Viewed 725 times

MarkTarlton

07 Jan 2022

I have found a lot of great stuff in here, thanks Hurricane!

I would like to add a tip, you can download Logic Remote for free, and turn your iphone/ipad into a remote control. Comes in handy when you want to record your self away from your computer in another room for example, or maybe turn up and down aux sends for monitoring...lots of uses actually!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/logic-remote/id638394624

• Information