Play multiple songs live

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
t9381yh

25 Aug 2021

Is there any better ways to play multiple preprogrammed songs live? Currently, I have to load and unload each songs and there’s a gap, not good for live show. Any help is greatly appreciated

artotaku

25 Aug 2021

t9381yh wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Is there any better ways to play multiple preprogrammed songs live? Currently, I have to load and unload each songs and there’s a gap, not good for live show. Any help is greatly appreciated
Reason is not that suited for live performance like Ableton Live is. Workarounds are:
- Have the instruments of one song in one combinator and have each song combinator loaded in Reason document. The situation may even be a bit improved by the new combinator in R12. This solution depends on CPU power ofc and some time consuming preparation upfront (you have to move MIDI notes of all your songs to player devices and put it in the combinator)
- Use RPG-8 to switch between MIDI tracks. I think user Dioxide uses it for his live performances
- Convert MIDI tracks and all audio to REX files and trigger them. This is not as CPU hungry as the first solution but also time consuming preparation upfront and does degregate the sound (not ideal for pad sounds that have no transients)
- Convert MIDI tracks to audio tracks and use the remote items for moving the loop markers (start loop, end loop) to jump to positions in the audio tracks
- use two laptops and sync them with Ableton Sync protocol (supported by Reason). That way you can have two Reason documents open simultaniously. This solution may be appropriate if live performance is done by two guys. I also heard that someone had installed two versions of Reason (Reason Lite, and full) on the same computer and synced them with Ableton sync protocol.

t9381yh

25 Aug 2021

Thank you. That’s a lot for me to digest now.

artotaku

25 Aug 2021

t9381yh wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Thank you. That’s a lot for me to digest now.
This guy https://www.youtube.com/c/simoniel/videos goes for the two laptop solution since he teamed up with a partner so they can fill the gap between loading two Reason documents. They use Reason live and both have opened a Reason document. Each song follows the same setup for the MIDI controller, that´s why it is automatially mapped as soon as another song document is opened.
It´s quite efficient and seems to work quite well as their "battle-proved" performances show.

But as I said, for a one man show two laptops might be not so appropriate and overkill. The artist "A guy called Gerald" did it though.

These articles are discussing the multi-combi solution:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ive-part-1
https://www.musictech.net/tutorials/rea ... reason-10/

Or here, from ReasonExperts:

t9381yh

25 Aug 2021

Thank you

• Information