Aggregate Music System 1.0.1 - Update available!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rcbuse
RE Developer

24 Aug 2021

Aggregate is a generative music player for Reason that allows the user to control metaparameters of music composition. Lists of values are iterated over with time durations then aggregated with other lists such that they change over time in complex ways. Users define a rhythm, scale, and chord progression which are then used as the basis for two separate generators, a melody generator and an accompaniment generator. The musical results can then be further mutated with two separate mutation engines.

Operation Manual

Shop Link
Last edited by rcbuse on 17 Dec 2021, edited 4 times in total.

Billy+

24 Aug 2021

Can't wait until tomorrow post some pics

RoryM0

24 Aug 2021

Bossman. I get paid tomorrow so going to be feeling flush and impulsive. Let's go.

DaveyG

24 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Aug 2021
Can't wait until tomorrow post some pics
Go to his website mate. Piccy and downloadable user manual.
I'm looking forward to trialling it but hoping that it is more intuitive and randomly "fiddleable" than the manual suggests!

Billy+

24 Aug 2021

IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2800.JPG (668.62 KiB) Viewed 9481 times

Nice :thumbup:

moneykube

24 Aug 2021

:thumbs_up:
Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 12.32.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 12.32.57 PM.png (160.62 KiB) Viewed 9481 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Billy+

24 Aug 2021

WOW just gone through the manual and there's something wrong with the panda :clap:

Your one crazy mad musical scientist :lol: :thumbs_up:

PhillipOrdonez

24 Aug 2021

This looks way too simple for my taste.

teddymcw

24 Aug 2021

Well well, Panda Schillinger has gone farther into the depths of Alice, Red, 38.

What a wonderful thing to read a manual before the release of the device, this staving off temptation of playing like a cat with yarn for awhile.

Have always wanted an accessible musical programming environment but to directly interact with Reason, this looks to be more towards that then anything we've seen so far, tho I certainly haven't exhausted all the devices such as Delta or Sequences much less their combinations.

There really should almost be a whole separate forum for what is possible with just Panda Devices or perhaps there can make a whole separate dedicated DAW to chew called Bamboo.

teddymcw

24 Aug 2021

rcbuse wrote:
24 Aug 2021

Parking this here for the release tomorrow!
Hate pointing this out but I used to write under an editor so I have a snag in my brain.

Check the spelling in the title of Aggregate Operation Manual. I know, such a show stopping bug! :)

This looks absolutely incredible btw, major congrats and thank you!

rcbuse
RE Developer

24 Aug 2021

And we are live...

Aggregate is a generative music player for Reason that allows the user to control metaparameters of music composition. Lists of values are iterated over with time durations then aggregated with other lists such that they change over time in complex ways. Users define a rhythm, scale, and chord progression which are then used as the basis for two separate generators, a melody generator and an accompaniment generator. The musical results can then be further mutated with two separate mutation engines.

Operation Manual

Shop Link

Faastwalker

24 Aug 2021

Wow!! I’m still trying to work out Evolution! :shock:

Loque

25 Aug 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
24 Aug 2021
Wow!! I’m still trying to work out Evolution! :shock:
The new one will keep you busy even longer 😂

Ensure to RTFM!
Reason12, Win10

doze

25 Aug 2021

Reason Studio's currency conversion SUCKS!!

dvdrtldg

25 Aug 2021

I'm not an unusually stupid person and I'm pretty comfortable with Evolution, PSQ 1684 and some of the other more complicated REs. But the manual for this one is just berserk :D

I'l probably buy it, but I've already given up any hope of figuring it out
doze wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Is it a Reason thing? I'm in Australia so I get punished by the exchange rate ($69 USD = $95 AUD at the moment), but I can't see how that's Reason Studio's fault

doze

25 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Aug 2021
I'm not an unusually stupid person and I'm pretty comfortable with Evolution, PSQ 1684 and some of the other more complicated REs. But the manual for this one is just berserk :D

I'l probably buy it, but I've already given up any hope of figuring it out
doze wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Is it a Reason thing? I'm in Australia so I get punished by the exchange rate ($69 USD = $95 AUD at the moment), but I can't see how that's Reason Studio's fault
$69 USD = $99CAN on RS... prob is they have an arbitrary rate that isn't based on current conversion. Would be better if they just charged us in USD and let our payment gateway deal with it.

MarkTarlton

25 Aug 2021

Any of you guys and gals that haven't played with this yet, DO IT!

Spend a little time before you judge it, because it's deep, and you will come up with some really cool ideas in the process, and that to me is the reason why I like this, to make music!

Faastwalker

25 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Aug 2021
I'm in Australia so I get punished by the exchange rate ($69 USD = $95 AUD at the moment), but I can't see how that's Reason Studio's fault
Same. We get a bit shafted over here with this sort of thing. I buy Eurorack modules mostly from the UK. Even with shipping + import tax it's still quite a bit cheaper than buying locally! Crazy. I want to support local. But when I can shave $100 of a $500 module it's hard to pass up, even though standard shipping takes about 3 weeks. Anyway, Aggregate is a $100 RE over here! :? I want it though. But hard to justify at that price. I'll RTFM, hit TRY then wait for a SALE in that order! :D

dvdrtldg

25 Aug 2021

I've got it on trial, been playing with it for a few hours

First thoughts: amazing bit of gear, and while I'm still way down at the bottom of the learning curve, I can see that a few more hours flipping between the device and the manual will really open things up

That said, it seems way too complicated for a useful composition tool. Unless what you want to compose is a noodly, open-ended sort of plink-plonk-scape. I love generative setups and spend a lot of time creating them, but I'm way more comfortable doing them with CV, where the link between input and result is relatively easy to follow. With this thing, there's just too much math & mystery

I guess I might change my mind, and will certainly get more psyched if I hear people start creating interesting music with Aggregate, or if I manage to come up with some myself. But everything I've heard so far - including the examples on the promo video - is boring, sounds like a software demonstration more than it sounds like something I'd choose to listen to

I love Lectric Panda REs and I know everyone else does too, so I feel I can say all this without it seeming like I'm shitting on some poor struggling developer's hard work. LP rules and will continue to rule. But I dunno, I'm not feeling this one, not yet anyway

Mataya

25 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Aug 2021
I've got it on trial, been playing with it for a few hours

First thoughts: amazing bit of gear, and while I'm still way down at the bottom of the learning curve, I can see that a few more hours flipping between the device and the manual will really open things up

That said, it seems way too complicated for a useful composition tool. Unless what you want to compose is a noodly, open-ended sort of plink-plonk-scape. I love generative setups and spend a lot of time creating them, but I'm way more comfortable doing them with CV, where the link between input and result is relatively easy to follow. With this thing, there's just too much math & mystery

I guess I might change my mind, and will certainly get more psyched if I hear people start creating interesting music with Aggregate, or if I manage to come up with some myself. But everything I've heard so far - including the examples on the promo video - is boring, sounds like a software demonstration more than it sounds like something I'd choose to listen to

I love Lectric Panda REs and I know everyone else does too, so I feel I can say all this without it seeming like I'm shitting on some poor struggling developer's hard work. LP rules and will continue to rule. But I dunno, I'm not feeling this one, not yet anyway
Same here. Have a feeling that I'd be happier and quicker if I put some notes in a piano roll. I think presets in a device like that should grab your interest for it, but nothing in there did that. I'll pass for now, which I don't do with Panda's stuff. Seems like evolution and kompulsion are for me.

tx
M

Faastwalker

25 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Everything I've heard so far - including the examples on the promo video - is boring, sounds like a software demonstration more than it sounds like something I'd choose to listen to.
I wasn’t instantly grabbed like I was by the Evolution demo video. Some really impressive stuff in there. Aggregate to me sounded a bit discordant and random. After a few listens though I started to warm to it. I’m interested to know what the theory is behind the device. Is this explained in the manual? What’s it all about? Anyone familiar with Anthony Manning’s work? To me it remind me of some of his stuff;

drno
RE Developer

25 Aug 2021

thanks Panda, a Fantastic Work!

Popey
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2021

Is this included in reason+ ? I only ask as in the shop the options are buy, trial or subscribe which intimates it is (although it is LP device not reason studios so would not expect it to be in +).

guitfnky

25 Aug 2021

looks really impressive, but if the demo is any indication, it suffers from the same problem every other generative player suffers from--it sounds like a generative player. until these types of things are able to create believable human-sounding performances, they'll probably continue to be best used for background/augmentative purposes.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

buddard
RE Developer

25 Aug 2021

Popey wrote:
25 Aug 2021
Is this included in reason+ ? I only ask as in the shop the options are buy, trial or subscribe which intimates it is (although it is LP device not reason studios so would not expect it to be in +).
No, Reason+ only includes devices made by Reason Studios themselves, no third party products.
There is a separate subscription service for third party REs, though.

• Information