Wolgang Palm's universe

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
bitley

21 Aug 2021

I'd like to know if you guys have compared PPG, Waldorf synths ... Subtractor and Thor?

Thor has some PPG wavetables actually so it would be exciting if we could discuss / elaborate on this and go on a deep wavetable synthesis journey together. :-)

Regarding Subtractor - I did quite a lot of studies on the inner depths of it over the years - precisely often focusing on its abilities as a digital wavetable synth so I have experimented quite a lot with this. (For newcomers I was part of the PH team years ago and I got to know Pelle (Peter Jubel) who also clearly pointed me towards the wavetable side of the Subtractor when we chatted about synths and the PPG came up.)

Having mentioned two of the staple synths let's not forget the Malström. It was truly an amazing waveform machine all the way from the beginning.

To begin somewhere;

Recently I saw a great demo (finally) of the Waldorf Microwave by our beloved "japanese synth master";

So lovely sounds!

I'd like to know how deep you are nested into wavetable synthesis and how you achieve this. There are of course many options available but why not begin digging where we stand and examine what Reason can do. Look for all your tracks and experiments (as well as patches) and feel free to post them in this thread.

bitley

21 Aug 2021

Further down in the rabbit hole, we've got to back to what Depeche Mode toyed with on Some Great Reward; perhaps their great reward from the Speak & Spell sales was: Getting a PPG synthesizer.

This majestic old german machine was Wolfgang Palm's great achievement and still 40 years later it sounds magical.

How many were sold? The numbers I've seen have been in the hundreds really.

Dig into this beautiful web page by starting at the playlist in the end and let those truly amazing sounds play while reading.

https://greatsynthesizers.com/en/review ... -and-only/

Literally insanely great!

bitley

23 Aug 2021

Feel free to chime in with some digital bells ;)

• Information