Video Example of making scratch samples in Mimic

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
rory kerzenmacher

17 Aug 2021

Hi RT

Here's a quick video demoing Mimic to create scratch samples.

Basically you combine it to get access to modulating the Reverse On via CV.
And then send two LFO's to modulate the reverse and the sample speed.

After that you can throw in any drum or musical loop and start creating scratch samples from it.

https://youtu.be/QZ0tiFIp5Fo

Ottostrom

17 Aug 2021

That's a very useful tip! Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Bes
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2021

what are you using for CV control in this example? i'm getting some good results from frameCV but they sound triggered not hand manipulated
- Certified Reason expert

bitley

17 Aug 2021

Superb idea!

rory kerzenmacher

17 Aug 2021

Bes wrote:
17 Aug 2021
what are you using for CV control in this example? i'm getting some good results from frameCV but they sound triggered not hand manipulated
On this example I'm using two LFOs from Europa.
Both set to triangle, both tempo sync and importantly, key sync'd.

Jagwah

18 Aug 2021

OK that's pretty cool! If you can automate the speed of the scratch than this is something people have been wanting / discussing for many years... a proper vinyl type scratch.

rory kerzenmacher

18 Aug 2021

Thanks - I'm glad you guys it!

I'm currently working on a Mkii version, which does the same thing but just in a way different way and allows for the toggle of the drum/music loop to play through once you 'stop scratching' - however I'm struggling to get it to sound just right.

Once that's done though, I will do a proper and detailed video of how it is achieved - as well as share the Patch (among others) to a public dropbox

Ottostrom

18 Aug 2021

rory kerzenmacher wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Thanks - I'm glad you guys it!

I'm currently working on a Mkii version, which does the same thing but just in a way different way and allows for the toggle of the drum/music loop to play through once you 'stop scratching' - however I'm struggling to get it to sound just right.

Once that's done though, I will do a proper and detailed video of how it is achieved - as well as share the Patch (among others) to a public dropbox
Awesome! Keep us posted :)

DaveyG

18 Aug 2021

This is all great stuff. I would love it if RS would add the scratching functionality from Serato Sample to Mimic. You can just drag the waveform left and right with the mouse to get a very authentic sound. It works whether playing or stopped and you can zoom in for very accurate results. Even a scratching klutz like me can make it sound good!

Matti

18 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
18 Aug 2021
This is all great stuff. I would love it if RS would add the scratching functionality from Serato Sample to Mimic. You can just drag the waveform left and right with the mouse to get a very authentic sound. It works whether playing or stopped and you can zoom in for very accurate results. Even a scratching klutz like me can make it sound good!
From what you're describing, you can do that in Grain! scratching by dragging in the waveform window (while holding down a midi note/key). Grain is superb for scratching simulation, using the envelopes to simulate different patterns, as well.

DaveyG

18 Aug 2021

Matti wrote:
18 Aug 2021
DaveyG wrote:
18 Aug 2021
From what you're describing, you can do that in Grain! scratching by dragging in the waveform window (while holding down a midi note/key). Grain is superb for scratching simulation, using the envelopes to simulate different patterns, as well.
I'm missing something here as I'm not getting anything like scratching out of Grain. Is there a demo or a vid of it? Dragging the waveform influences the sound but not in a scratching way.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2021

They don't call it The Creative Sampler for nothing.

Kudos 👑🍾🎉🎆

Matti

19 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Matti wrote:
18 Aug 2021

I'm missing something here as I'm not getting anything like scratching out of Grain. Is there a demo or a vid of it? Dragging the waveform influences the sound but not in a scratching way.
I'm sorry, I don't have time to do a tutorial, but there are several hits if you search this forum for "scratch" and "grain" together. The key is tape mode, and there are several approaches, all focusing on speeding up and slowing down a sample rhythmically. Because that's basically all scratching is.

This should get you directly to one example: viewtopic.php?p=383487#p383487

DaveyG

19 Aug 2021

Matti wrote:
19 Aug 2021
DaveyG wrote:
18 Aug 2021

I'm sorry, I don't have time to do a tutorial, but there are several hits if you search this forum for "scratch" and "grain" together. The key is tape mode, and there are several approaches, all focusing on speeding up and slowing down a sample rhythmically. Because that's basically all scratching is.

This should get you directly to one example: viewtopic.php?p=383487#p383487
Thanks Matti. Yeah the example project in that link is pretty good for scratching, although with the mod wheel rather than the mouse. Not quite as convenient as the Serato approach but certainly respectable. We shouldn't be surprised that Serato Sample is so good at scratching. It's basically a spin off from their fully fledged DJ turntable software stuff. The more I play with Mimic the more I realise that the main reference point for it is Ableton's Simpler. It's not a direct copy but many of the design decisions are the same. What would take Mimic to the next level is if they nicked all the best bits from other modern sampler software and found a way to incorporate them. It sounds like we are already getting pitch detection added (an odd omission) so maybe we'll see other stuff being added too.

Ottostrom

20 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Thanks Matti. Yeah the example project in that link is pretty good for scratching, although with the mod wheel rather than the mouse. Not quite as convenient as the Serato approach but certainly respectable. We shouldn't be surprised that Serato Sample is so good at scratching. It's basically a spin off from their fully fledged DJ turntable software stuff. The more I play with Mimic the more I realise that the main reference point for it is Ableton's Simpler. It's not a direct copy but many of the design decisions are the same. What would take Mimic to the next level is if they nicked all the best bits from other modern sampler software and found a way to incorporate them. It sounds like we are already getting pitch detection added (an odd omission) so maybe we'll see other stuff being added too.
If you wanna scratch with the mouse using grain, this is what to do:

- Load in a sample
- Set Grain to Tape mode
- Set Motion (on the waveform display) to Freeze
- Play a note (you can also draw in a continuous note in the sequencer and repeat that one)
- Grab the playhead in the Grain waveform display and jiggle it around

You can adjust the Speed knob if the scratching is reacting too slowly to your moves :)

• Information