Feature Requests - an update

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

Will you be satisfied with the eight (8) features for R12 at Launch?

Yes, enough for me to upgrade, or see the value in my R+ subscription
8
30%
No, not enough features, or I don't see the value in the features provided
13
48%
Unsure, I will wait for the Combinator to make my decision
6
22%
 
Total votes: 27
deeplink
Posts: 520
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 15 Aug 2021

So I've been tracking all the features requested and implemented - taken from that big Sheets poll that was floating around.

So far we've seen the following implemented;
Better sampler - i.e Mimic
4K display - i.e Hi Res Graphics
Update ReGroove mixer
Zooming in the rack - (contentious, probably)
Loops playing in sync in browser - (Rex Only)
Faster browser search
Search shortcut - (Ctrl-F)

Still to go is the Combinator, with the following;
Combinator with more knobs and modulation - from what we've heard, this will be provided.
Combinator knobs that have text input gets translated to the sequencer - this is unclear at this stage.


Still on the list with respect to the Browser is - but probably will not be implemented;
Browser sound tagger
Replace sound sample

With an updated combinator (1) and features released so far (7), that brings the total features for Reason 12 as 8. at launch

This will be shy of Reason 11's 16 - which includes RRP, new devices and workflow enhancements (at launch)
However in line with Reason 10's 7 - which does not include for the adding of separate devices into the stock library (i.e Syncronous, Radical Piano).

As much as the new features have been pretty big and bold,
Personally, I hope there are smaller features that will make their way into R12 at launch. e.g Option for VST to stay open as default, bypass in VST window, relative note display in Spectrum, Peak reading on Faders etc

I'm yet to see Hi Res implemented in the Sequencer, so perhaps there are still improvements coming? *Prays for track folders*

RS did promise workflow enhancements in their R+ announcement blog - I wonder if this is intended to be limited to the new Search / Combinator.

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 692
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 15 Aug 2021

The combinator is the biggest workflow improvement of them all, so it's kinda hard to judge the whole package till it's out.
If it does fulfill all of my hopes then yes I'll be very happy, coming from r10.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9502
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 15 Aug 2021

Zooming in the Rack isn't coming in this initial version from all I've heard. There seems to be some confusion about the App Zoom feature on 12 - it's not rack zooming, obviously, because it affects the entire app. The app zooming feature appears to be in response to years of vocal complaints about tiny text and hard to read graphics on high res monitors. Rack zooming, if implemented, will likely be more akin to plug in zooming: a way to quickly zoom in out when working on a complex device.
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 3074
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 15 Aug 2021

Well the initial plan was to upgrade. But right now, it's more of a maybe. It mostly depends on whether RS actually finish the new features. All the comments about the hi res mess has kind of scared me away to be honest. This new "early access" method of selling work-in-progress material is a big turn off for me personally. Why not simply wait until it's finished? Will the new hi res implementation slow things down? That will be the biggest deciding factor for me.
If they sort things out properly I'll most likely upgrade. But I won't be among the early upgraders, that's for sure. I'll let them face all the potential problems and let them be the R12 "beta testers". :-)

deeplink
Posts: 520
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 15 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
15 Aug 2021
Zooming in the Rack isn't coming in this initial version from all I've heard. There seems to be some confusion about the App Zoom feature on 12 - it's not rack zooming, obviously, because it affects the entire app. The app zooming feature appears to be in response to years of vocal complaints about tiny text and hard to read graphics on high res monitors. Rack zooming, if implemented, will likely be more akin to plug in zooming: a way to quickly zoom in out when working on a complex device.
Yeah, I think there was some confusion too - perhaps RS wasn't too clear with their marketing - as lot of the beta/public users expressed disappointment that they couldn't Zoom in only on the rack and to enjoy a big version of their favorite device meant also dealing with a Fischer Price looking transport bar.

Hence why I marked it as 'contentious'.

I know RS is aware of the expectations, so perhaps it may become a thing - just not any time soon.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2931
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 15 Aug 2021

First off your listing features that haven't been announced so 8 is a bit of a reach.

Now I can't say never, but as things stand I'm not sold on the upgrade even if RS does a pay what you want I would be reluctant to purchase.

I had been enjoying playing with the sound packs using V11 but the last few weeks they have been a bit pants and I'm guessing over the next few weeks I won't be able to use them as I won't have access to CMBv2 and even though I could install V12 I really can't see any point.

Don't take it the wrong way though, I like what RS has been adding it's just that the upgrade requires more work on my end than I'm prepared to put in for features that are of minimal value to me personally, so for now I'm holding off.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

deeplink
Posts: 520
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 15 Aug 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
15 Aug 2021
This new "early access" method of selling work-in-progress material is a big turn off for me personally. Why not simply wait until it's finished?
I agree. During most of the testing process, it felt like "is this it?" - with no visibility on what kind of expectations to have. Should we be expecting updates to Mimic, Hi Res Sequencer etc. or no?

Also, it goes without saying that first impressions matter a lot. RS has drastically improved the Hi-Res loading - with no "pop-ins" at all. Pretty much feels instant, however many people won't know or care to know that after the first release.

I'm also confused as to how the v12.3, 12.4 etc. updates will be implemented.
- Will perpetual license holders have to wait while the R+ users get to 'test' the new features before its rolled out?
- And what point does a v12.X actually be considered part of R13, and therefore withheld from perpetual license holders until the final launch?

deeplink
Posts: 520
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 15 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
15 Aug 2021
First off your listing features that haven't been announced so 8 is a bit of a reach.
Besides the Combinator, all (7) the features listed have already been implemented (at least, partially).

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2931
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 15 Aug 2021

deeplink wrote:
15 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
15 Aug 2021
First off your listing features that haven't been announced so 8 is a bit of a reach.
Besides the Combinator, all (7) the features listed have already been implemented (at least, partially).
Fair enough but I'm definitely holding out until I actually see the features implemented, take faster search for example, from what I've read this is only true for refills.

The Zoom feature is currently the application and although it's been discussed that eventually this could be different aspects rack mixer sequencer currently it's not the case, and the groove mixer update really isn't a feature and has been listed as something that was getting done it took 7 years, so how long would you be prepared to wait for the zoom feature to get where you want it.

I do agree with you over the confusion surrounding the updates perpetual vs subscription putting aside the early access for features, how long would a perpetual customer wait for updates or once the official release happens do we all get updates at the same time if the update includes a feature would perpetuals have to wait etc.

Like I said I'm definitely going to wait and see with this one and almost certainly not buying before I see good reasons.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3945
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 15 Aug 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
15 Aug 2021
The combinator is the biggest workflow improvement of them all, so it's kinda hard to judge the whole package till it's out.
If it does fulfill all of my hopes then yes I'll be very happy, coming from r10.
I don’t think a new combi is a workflow improvement unless you’re already a heavy combi user. it would have to do something spectacular and completely unexpected for it to have any impact on my (and presumably many others’) actual workflow.

that’s not to diminish its usefulness for others—I just generally don’t think devices of any kind fit too neatly into the workflow improvement category, broadly speaking.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3945
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 15 Aug 2021

as for the features themselves, yeesh, this list is depressing. 4k is necessary, but they seem to have completely ignored all the improvements they could’ve made along the way (revamping the GUI? hey, maybe let’s find a better way to implement the F8 tools!—hey, maybe let’s make the spectrum analyzer more useful and accurate!—etc.)

personally I couldn’t care less about a new sampler, so that’s a big bowl of meh. and again, unless the new combi does something extraordinary, that is too.

and literally no announced quality of life DAW improvements (aside from 4k). yet I think at some point, Mattias has said there’s lots in the works for the DAW—which is becoming less and less believable, since they’ve been saying that for years.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 692
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 15 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Aug 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
15 Aug 2021
The combinator is the biggest workflow improvement of them all, so it's kinda hard to judge the whole package till it's out.
If it does fulfill all of my hopes then yes I'll be very happy, coming from r10.
I don’t think a new combi is a workflow improvement unless you’re already a heavy combi user. it would have to do something spectacular and completely unexpected for it to have any impact on my (and presumably many others’) actual workflow.

that’s not to diminish its usefulness for others—I just generally don’t think devices of any kind fit too neatly into the workflow improvement category, broadly speaking.
I think you're right in the general sense. I should have maybe said workflow 'for me' . As personally, Reason really is all about the rack, wether that's DAW or RRP. I've got no interest in Reason as a traditional DAW anymore.

But here's a bit of a rhetorical question: Can something like VCV or Cherry Modular have workflow improvements?

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4421
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 15 Aug 2021

Text input on the ne Combinator knobs you say, does this indicate we might get manual inputs with copy / paste perhaps?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 12.2 / Cockos Reaper 6.38 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3945
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 15 Aug 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
15 Aug 2021
guitfnky wrote:
15 Aug 2021


I don’t think a new combi is a workflow improvement unless you’re already a heavy combi user. it would have to do something spectacular and completely unexpected for it to have any impact on my (and presumably many others’) actual workflow.

that’s not to diminish its usefulness for others—I just generally don’t think devices of any kind fit too neatly into the workflow improvement category, broadly speaking.
I think you're right in the general sense. I should have maybe said workflow 'for me' . As personally, Reason really is all about the rack, wether that's DAW or RRP. I've got no interest in Reason as a traditional DAW anymore.

But here's a bit of a rhetorical question: Can something like VCV or Cherry Modular have workflow improvements?
I know you said it’s rhetorical, but I’ll answer anyway. 😅. of course—and that comes down to scope—in the same way the combinator’s workflow can be improved without much impact to the rest of the program. it’s a subset of the larger program, so, useful if it’s something you already use (or adds features that make you want to), but not necessarily helpful in the program as a whole.

I hope there is something in the new combinator that puts it into that second category, where it makes me want to start using it more. not clear how they could pull that off, but then, they’ve certainly surprised me before!
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9170
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Aug 2021

deeplink wrote:
15 Aug 2021

I'm also confused as to how the v12.3, 12.4 etc. updates will be implemented.
- Will perpetual license holders have to wait while the R+ users get to 'test' the new features before its rolled out?
- And what point does a v12.X actually be considered part of R13, and therefore withheld from perpetual license holders until the final launch?
From what I understand, this is just for new full versions of Reason.

Remember, R+ launched during R11 and everybody still got the R11 updates at the same time.

I don't understand your last question. R12 was announced and we knew what was to be included. There was no confusion about what is in R11 and R12. R+ users have been running R12.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2497
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 15 Aug 2021

The browser is a huge workflow enhancement imo.

loopeydoug
Posts: 130
Joined: 11 Oct 2018

Post 15 Aug 2021

I think the Combinator is one of the strongest elements Reason has going for it. There's so much that the Combinator can do, even in its current form. If they get this upgrade right, it will most definitely enhance workflow.

User avatar
teddymcw
Posts: 417
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 16 Aug 2021

I just strongly feel like they’ll really start rolling anything new to reason+ then release the point update as an afterthought / formality. Sure perpetual licenses still available, but mostly just for rhetoric towards traditional users and to give ppl, y’know “options.”

I couldn’t be too mad at that long as the feature rolls are truly useful and the feedback to implementation cycles shorten greatly.

I’m near certain this is how it’ll go from now on tho, bc money.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2788
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Aug 2021

teddymcw wrote:
16 Aug 2021
I just strongly feel like they’ll really start rolling anything new to reason+ then release the point update as an afterthought / formality. Sure perpetual licenses still available, but mostly just for rhetoric towards traditional users and to give ppl, y’know “options.”

I couldn’t be too mad at that long as the feature rolls are truly useful and the feedback to implementation cycles shorten greatly.

I’m near certain this is how it’ll go from now on tho, bc money.
Unlikely for point updates to just be afterthoughts.

Either a feature is being developed to the X codebase or the X+1 codebase.

When an X.5 feature is being developed, it is being developed for X.5. That's it. No space for an afterthought.

Some features are ready long before the planned release.
---

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 692
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 16 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Aug 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
15 Aug 2021

I think you're right in the general sense. I should have maybe said workflow 'for me' . As personally, Reason really is all about the rack, wether that's DAW or RRP. I've got no interest in Reason as a traditional DAW anymore.

But here's a bit of a rhetorical question: Can something like VCV or Cherry Modular have workflow improvements?
I know you said it’s rhetorical, but I’ll answer anyway. 😅. of course—and that comes down to scope—in the same way the combinator’s workflow can be improved without much impact to the rest of the program. it’s a subset of the larger program, so, useful if it’s something you already use (or adds features that make you want to), but not necessarily helpful in the program as a whole.

I hope there is something in the new combinator that puts it into that second category, where it makes me want to start using it more. not clear how they could pull that off, but then, they’ve certainly surprised me before!
Oh yeah definitely I'm hoping for meaningful workflow improvements. If it's just 4 extra roataries and fancy skins I'm gonna be saddened.

As for more traditional workflow updates, I believe there was 7 workflow/qol updates with r11. May not sound like many, but they were fairly impactful IMO. So if they can do that again, in addition to the new devices and all on HD I think most folks will be satisfied. At least a lot more satisfied than with r11.

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 1145
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 16 Aug 2021

I will upgrade for sure but there is nothing in there that really screams at me to upgrade, I am on R12+ subscription and have save a few files so to continue to use these songs I need R12 obviously

User avatar
teddymcw
Posts: 417
Joined: 13 May 2016

Post 17 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
16 Aug 2021
teddymcw wrote:
16 Aug 2021
I just strongly feel like they’ll really start rolling anything new to reason+ then release the point update as an afterthought / formality. Sure perpetual licenses still available, but mostly just for rhetoric towards traditional users and to give ppl, y’know “options.”

I couldn’t be too mad at that long as the feature rolls are truly useful and the feedback to implementation cycles shorten greatly.

I’m near certain this is how it’ll go from now on tho, bc money.
Unlikely for point updates to just be afterthoughts.

Either a feature is being developed to the X codebase or the X+1 codebase.

When an X.5 feature is being developed, it is being developed for X.5. That's it. No space for an afterthought.

Some features are ready long before the planned release.
In those terms then, I'm simply stating I think we should be expecting multiple X+1 features in a continuous manner rather than any X.5 features being a real goal, especially after this hi-res update for the rack. The RS people alluded to this strongly in the R+ announcement material. I hope I'm wrong and there's a more balanced attention to daw integration bc I personally like Reason as a daw as opposed to just a rack of devices. Perhaps I just can't imagine what Reason 12.5 or Reason 13 might really look like as RS is catering to certain trends while VC is pushing them.

However for marketing, and I also believe for dev purposes, I'm near convinced they're really trying to enter into a much tighter (if you will) continuous development cycle. If they have a feature, be it device or daw improvement, anything worthy of being called a feature they'll roll it into R+ as priority. Thus calling something Reason X or Reason X.5 at some point of arbitrarily aggregated features in this R+ type of continuous feature rollout just isn't so relevant for anyone anymore, except for when it comes time to bring in money from the license holders.

Certainly not an astute point I'm making whatsoever, just one I think is healthy to expect in terms of deciding to go the R+ or perpetual license route which we all have to tangle with unfortunately. R+ is the real cash cow now, so they'll roll features there to perpetually tempt all users to sign up for that route imo. Also, I'm in no way against them making money btw, I'm all for it if the product is worthy, I'm just thinking out loud about where to direct my own budget and attention.

Cheers.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests