Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

13 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021
deeplink wrote:
13 Aug 2021

If you click on the slices you lock them in place and then they don't dissapear after you adjust the sensitivity. I find this quite useful.
Thanks so much for this. I had another go at it using this method... and it's golden. Usually I'm a RTFM kind of guy, but I can't find a Mimic manual online anywhere at this point. Anyone know if there is one yet out?
I don't know, only guessing but probably isn't out yet and will be out when Reason 12 is released and it will be (due to it being a stock device) included in the Reason 12 operation manual.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DaveyG

13 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
13 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021

Thanks so much for this. I had another go at it using this method... and it's golden. Usually I'm a RTFM kind of guy, but I can't find a Mimic manual online anywhere at this point. Anyone know if there is one yet out?
I don't know, only guessing but probably isn't out yet and will be out when Reason 12 is released and it will be (due to it being a stock device) included in the Reason 12 operation manual.
I think that's probably correct and it does raise the question of whether people who get early access to a feature should also be provided with a draft of the relevant section of the manual too.

Creativemind

13 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
13 Aug 2021

I think that's probably correct and it does raise the question of whether people who get early access to a feature should also be provided with a draft of the relevant section of the manual too.
That crossed my mind too. Maybe just an online only version till the official release. Some people may like to read the manual before touching a device at all as to not spend ages wondering why this and that isn't working perhaps like I did yesterday (and wanted look it up) why I couldn't get the flag to snap to transient.

joeyluck

13 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021
deeplink wrote:
13 Aug 2021

If you click on the slices you lock them in place and then they don't dissapear after you adjust the sensitivity. I find this quite useful.
Flip the rack to read a few tips/shortcuts, including this one :-)

Mimic Tips.png
Mimic Tips.png (492.96 KiB) Viewed 7258 times

PhillipOrdonez

13 Aug 2021

That's what happens when you don't pay attention to the video which explains it and also mentions the back tips 🙄

Tinnitus

13 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Aug 2021
That is a really good idea!

fieldframe
RE Developer

13 Aug 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
13 Aug 2021
fsgdgfsgfdgfsd.jpg
This reminds me of the design critique I did on Europa a few years ago.

Gardinski

13 Aug 2021

Perhaps I'm being really dim, but I can't seem to find a way of automating the switching between active slots.

If you've got several variants of a sample in each slot, and you want to hop between them in mid performance, then obviously you can do so by clicking the individual slot. However, this slot-hopping doesn't seem to be recorded in the sequencer. I've also tried assigning slot selection to a button/rotary pot in Combinator, but there doesn't seem to be any means of doing that either.

I'm certain this is just a typical 'Gardinski Brain Freeze' moment on a sunny afternoon, but it does seem a bit weird.

StephenHutchinson

13 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
13 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021

That's what I was thinking as well.. :puf_smile:
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

StephenHutchinson

13 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
13 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021

Mimic Tips.png
Ah yes I had forgotten to look there. Thanks for the reminder.

StephenHutchinson

13 Aug 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Aug 2021
That's what happens when you don't pay attention to the video which explains it and also mentions the back tips 🙄
So very true. :thumbup:

fullforce

13 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
13 Aug 2021
No I think this is the finished product, for now anyway. Maybe they might add those things in a 12 point update. That seems slim though as well. I hope so though. I hope we aren't still talking about this a year down the line
They never change or add anything to any device ever.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

ravasb

13 Aug 2021

Gardinski wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Perhaps I'm being really dim, but I can't seem to find a way of automating the switching between active slots.

If you've got several variants of a sample in each slot, and you want to hop between them in mid performance, then obviously you can do so by clicking the individual slot. However, this slot-hopping doesn't seem to be recorded in the sequencer. I've also tried assigning slot selection to a button/rotary pot in Combinator, but there doesn't seem to be any means of doing that either.

I'm certain this is just a typical 'Gardinski Brain Freeze' moment on a sunny afternoon, but it does seem a bit weird.
They can be flipped through by key switching only.

Heigen5

13 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
13 Aug 2021
No I think this is the finished product, for now anyway. Maybe they might add those things in a 12 point update. That seems slim though as well. I hope so though. I hope we aren't still talking about this a year down the line
That's not totally so, as RV7000 mk2 and Octorex were updated back then.

madmacman

13 Aug 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
13 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
13 Aug 2021

That's not totally so, as RV7000 mk2 and Octorex were updated back then.
Europa got wavetable import, 14:2 Mixer got a sonic improvement (and a compatibility switch)

Billy+

13 Aug 2021

Parsec got bumped a version as well

Billy+

13 Aug 2021

Also didn't something happen with subtractor, way way back in time?

Heigen5

13 Aug 2021

Yup yup... So we have some hope to get more of them. :)

Billy+

13 Aug 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
13 Aug 2021
If there's one thing RS loves it's when we hope ;) just don't hold your breath :lol:

Heigen5

13 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
13 Aug 2021
If there's one thing RS loves it's when we hope ;) just don't hold your breath :lol:
I actually stopped hoping for more stuff long time ago, I still request them, but I have an attitude to use what I already have. :puf_smile:

Billy+

13 Aug 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
13 Aug 2021

I actually stopped hoping for more stuff long time ago, I still request them, but I have an attitude to use what I already have. :puf_smile:
That's about where I am at to, not even thinking about the upgrade this time around :shock:

Gardinski

13 Aug 2021

ravasb wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Gardinski wrote:
13 Aug 2021

They can be flipped through by key switching only.

Cheers Ravasb. It certainly looks that way. Ah, what a shame. Seems like a bit of an oversight. I guess the only way to switch samples 'live' will be to have multiple Mimics stacked in a combinator. That will work, but it seems like a cumbersome way to do it.

Alternatively, of course, I could just map each sample to a different octave on the keyboard. Still messy and limiting, when it could be so much simper.

Creativemind

13 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Also didn't something happen with SubTractor, way way back in time?
Interested to know what that was.

I fixed your SubTractor error too. :lol:

rgdaniel

13 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
13 Aug 2021

I fixed your SubTractor error too. :lol:
*Subtractor

StephenHutchinson

13 Aug 2021

This looks like an interesting way to use Mimic and Lectric Panda's Evolution together:

• Information