extract cv data from the sequencer

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Chizmata

11 Aug 2021

extract cv data from the sequencer. really, why can i only use the sequencer's gate, velocity, note and automation data in hardwired routings? some things can be worked around, i know, but not all. couldnt they just allow mod sources like "sequencer gate" or "sequencer note value" etc. in the combinator? some cv setups are really clunky or even impossible to do with devices, but allowing to use the sequencer data would make life soo much easier.

thanks for any possible open ears for this

Loque

11 Aug 2021

Aehhhmmm....what exactly is your feature request?

Do you mean catching information like Notes or Gates as CV? I use RPG-8 for this since years.

Or do you want recording or automating CV via sequencer? I use several RE for automation, recording, sending to track and also MIDI loopback.

So...what exactly are you missing?
Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

11 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
11 Aug 2021
Aehhhmmm....what exactly is your feature request?

Do you mean catching information like Notes or Gates as CV? I use RPG-8 for this since years.

Or do you want recording or automating CV via sequencer? I use several RE for automation, recording, sending to track and also MIDI loopback.

So...what exactly are you missing?
right now i want to trigger a step sequencer in a monophonic way from polymetric sequencer pattern gates. but i have run into several other occasions i cant recall right now. rpg 8, dual arp and reason step sequencers simply dont work in a way in need. rpg 8 and others for example cant discern open/close gate information for different voices on the same midi note, like a hard-wired adsr module does. really, i'm beyond workarounds, i'm just requesting this feature and wonder if there's any reason not to implement it, like in my idea with the combinator.

jam-s

11 Aug 2021

To me this feature request sounds like the often made wish for virtual MIDI cables or PolyCV and matching signal processors for the Rack.

Chizmata

11 Aug 2021

jam-s wrote:
11 Aug 2021
To me this feature request sounds like the often made wish for virtual MIDI cables or PolyCV and matching signal processors for the Rack.
havent heard of those but i guess so. like having a "track" device in the rack with gate and note, maybe curve CV outs.

Loque

11 Aug 2021

If i want poly gate signals, i use CVPT Player now. For Mono Gates RPG8 as a MIDI device and grab the Gate CV from the backside.

And yea, a few devices support Poly CV, an unofficial standard from Blamsoft AFAIR. But PolyCV is most of the time replaced by CVPT now.

I think i still dont know/understand, what you are really missing? I agree, that the mentioned "MIDID cable" or some kind of "data link" between RE was requested quite often. A lot of VSTs use a easy inter-connection technique through their DLLs, but also there is no real standard except MIDI for inter-VST communication. WE can use Players, but yea, no MIDI VSTs at the moment.
Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

12 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
11 Aug 2021
If i want poly gate signals, i use CVPT Player now. For Mono Gates RPG8 as a MIDI device and grab the Gate CV from the backside.

And yea, a few devices support Poly CV, an unofficial standard from Blamsoft AFAIR. But PolyCV is most of the time replaced by CVPT now.

I think i still dont know/understand, what you are really missing? I agree, that the mentioned "MIDID cable" or some kind of "data link" between RE was requested quite often. A lot of VSTs use a easy inter-connection technique through their DLLs, but also there is no real standard except MIDI for inter-VST communication. WE can use Players, but yea, no MIDI VSTs at the moment.
i dont really know how to explain it better. i'll give the CVPT player a look though, maybe thats what i need now.

Loque

12 Aug 2021

Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

13 Aug 2021

thx but this doesnt help either. i figured my problem was that i needed to extract the gate open and gate close information from the sequencer individually as CV impulses to make them start and stop a step sequencer or arpeggiator in a monophonic way. but it seems these informations are inaccessible outside the hardwired functions of reasons devices and also cant be properly extracted from those via mod matrix and neither be properly applied to any device i own. by now i just moved on.

Loque

13 Aug 2021

Chizmata wrote:
13 Aug 2021
thx but this doesnt help either. i figured my problem was that i needed to extract the gate open and gate close information from the sequencer individually as CV impulses to make them start and stop a step sequencer or arpeggiator in a monophonic way. but it seems these informations are inaccessible outside the hardwired functions of reasons devices and also cant be properly extracted from those via mod matrix and neither be properly applied to any device i own. by now i just moved on.
So, you need a pulse-generator on a each signal change?

Doesnt Thor have a Gate and Release trigger? So you can play notes on Thor and send the signals out, so you get a Gate on Key Down and another signal on Key Up.

Maybe there is a Switch or A/B or a Pulse RE in the shop, which can do this too, dunno atm.

Curious which sequencer you are using, because normally a "ON" and "OFF" is the way to go, which means Gate Up and Gate Down.

Maybe you post a screenshot or provide a patch or something, which explains your problem...
Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

13 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Chizmata wrote:
13 Aug 2021
So, you need a pulse-generator on a each signal change?

Doesnt Thor have a Gate and Release trigger? So you can play notes on Thor and send the signals out, so you get a Gate on Key Down and another signal on Key Up.

Maybe there is a Switch or A/B or a Pulse RE in the shop, which can do this too, dunno atm.

Curious which sequencer you are using, because normally a "ON" and "OFF" is the way to go, which means Gate Up and Gate Down.

Maybe you post a screenshot or provide a patch or something, which explains your problem...
there are a couple more side conditions, its really complicated. tbh i have already moved on because i figured my overall goal here is in fact not achieveable because of the way the MIDI code works with reason. but thx for your effort.

• Information