better way to use DR OCTO REX LOOP PLAYER

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
gritz

11 Aug 2021

Good morning all,

I have a query which I would be interested in how you guys work with rex files which have multiple notes in them.

So lets say we have a guitar part as a rex file –the file states the guitar part is D-G-BM-D for instance - For it to work better with your piece of music you increase or decrease the semi tones on the some of the slices in the file in DR OCTO REX LOOP PLAYER However I find its impossible to gauge which notes are shown on the DR OCTO REX LOOP PLAYER.

So is there a knack to change slightly some of the samples in rex files? Do you take the rex file and put it into another sampler?
I find the DR OCTO REX LOOP PLAYER is great for straight forward lift and shift files but to take a more complex multi note file is there a better way?

bitley

11 Aug 2021

You have individual editing deluxe per note...

gritz

11 Aug 2021

Deluxe editing? - I know you can see the individual slices and alter pitch there but it’s when there are a number of slices what is the best and straightforward way of doing it

Matti

11 Aug 2021

Use the Tuner in audio tracks maybe?

deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2021

Select "Select Slice by Midi" ?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

gritz

11 Aug 2021

Can you clarify a bit here

gritz

11 Aug 2021

Tried auto tune but surely we can amend the slices of a sample better in Octo Rex

Ottostrom

11 Aug 2021

Could you clarify a bit what the goal is? Particularly the "However I find its impossible to gauge which notes are shown on the DR OCTO REX LOOP PLAYER" bit got be confused.
Does it mean that you have a hard time determining which slice in particular you want to edit? Cause if so I would also suggest enabling the Select Slice by Midi button so you can follow along while the loop is playing and then pause at the slice you want to modify.

gritz

11 Aug 2021

ah perfect see I knew there was an easier way of doing it, I love reason I know there is always a work around any problem

Ottostrom

11 Aug 2021

gritz wrote:
11 Aug 2021
ah perfect see I knew there was an easier way of doing it, I love reason I know there is always a work around any problem
Another good tip for using the OctoRex (and most other sample based device in Reason) is to hold down the Alt key while hovering your mouse over the slice display. This lets you preview individual slices by clicking on them :)

artotaku

11 Aug 2021

Another tip. Octorex isn´t very well suited for loops without transients but if you want to have a pad sound sequence with long attack and release times created by a synth say with a length of 4 bars
1. lower the tempo in Reason sequencer by 30 BPM, e. g. from 128 to 90
2. Bounce in place to generate an audio clip
3. convert audio clip to rex loop and add slices manually for each bar and drag it in octorex via patch browser
4. increase tempo to 128 and increase attack and release times in octorex

Since the audio has been created at much lower tempo than it is played the individal slices will blend over in a rather seamless way (you might hear some deep rumble at the slice points due to rex algorithm but you can get away with dialing in the attack and release times.

gritz

12 Aug 2021

thank you all for all your advice and help in this matter - always thought octo rex is a great tool and I try to be experimental with all my loops usage like guitar parts etc rather than just drums.

• Information