What exactly IS a "sound pack" ?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
dannyF

02 Aug 2021

I honestly have no idea. Want to avoid the marketing info on the website and seek knowledge about what it actually is.

Do they include reason patches?

What are your thoughts on them?

jam-s

02 Aug 2021

In a nutshell: 10 patches/combinators with a common theme. Might also include an example on how to use the patches.

dannyF

02 Aug 2021

oh that's cool and sort of useful. Providing the patches are decent.

Who has made the patches? Do they have producers of noterity featured that have made the patches?

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 Aug 2021

jam-s wrote:
02 Aug 2021
In a nutshell: 10 patches/combinators with a common theme. Might also include an example on how to use the patches.
Did you say 10 ? I've never seen these things.

jamespember
Reason Studios

02 Aug 2021

dannyF wrote:
02 Aug 2021
I honestly have no idea. Want to avoid the marketing info on the website and seek knowledge about what it actually is.

Do they include reason patches?

What are your thoughts on them?
We occasionally release free sound packs on our blog. Here are a few to try out to give you a taste of what a sound pack is and can be.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/cine ... sound-pack
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/free ... plorations
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/down ... sound-pack
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/free ... d-hypnosis

Billy+

02 Aug 2021

Think of them like FSB patches but with a bit more care taken than normal, they generally have some processing on them and are bunched into a style. So instead of having to hunt a bunch down or patch surf during you get a cohesive group.

You can listen to the latest here :- https://share.reasonstudios.com

There are a few that could be questionable because they are using FSB based stuff but the extra processing offsets that especially if you're just getting into production as they give you a clue what you should consider using as a chain.

On the flip side there are some cool patches for RS devices that you won't find anywhere else.

The only real letdown is the lack of Reason standalone project files, I think with the right amount of QC oversight project files could provide a great source of information about the process that is currently missing, loads of sites offer project files for logic live etc but nobody offers this for Reason standalone which is a shame especially as the few that did initially get released in the packs made the packs a great source for anyone unsure about how or why you might chain stock devices or use the mixer to polish the sound of your own tracks.

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2021

They're great if you make/like trap hi-hats or hiphop beats :puf_unhappy: .... I swear like 90% of the content fits into those 2 genres.

deeplink
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2021

Another use of them is a learning tool.

I've seen some interesting combinations and effects used in a particular way which has been rather enlightening
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

jamespember
Reason Studios

05 Aug 2021

Steedus wrote:
03 Aug 2021
They're great if you make/like trap hi-hats or hiphop beats :puf_unhappy: .... I swear like 90% of the content fits into those 2 genres.
Hey! Here are the tags for the latest 10 published packs, so as you can see, we are aiming for a nice spread of styles and genres.

That said, if it feels like you only see hip-hop, we do hope to address this issue with better personalisation, search and discovery features over the coming months. We know that it's very rough right now in terms of just presenting all the packs to all users. Something we're thinking about solving.
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 12.13.38.png
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 12.13.38.png (48.86 KiB) Viewed 2153 times

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
05 Aug 2021
Steedus wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Hey! Here are the tags for the latest 10 published packs, so as you can see, we are aiming for a nice spread of styles and genres.

That said, if it feels like you only see hip-hop, we do hope to address this issue with better personalisation, search and discovery features over the coming months. We know that it's very rough right now in terms of just presenting all the packs to all users. Something we're thinking about solving.
Thanks James, I know my comment was a bit unfair but I guess that's just the feeling I get .. but then again I think it's just the state of popular music these days so it's understandable. Most of the more popular genres just aren't my thing unfortunately.

Billy+

05 Aug 2021

I would like to see some Melbourne Bounce,

I'm sure today's was a pis* take? Trap Lullaby seriously that's got to be made up.....

Billy+

06 Aug 2021

Maybe some 90's house drum kits would be cool instead of all trap hats or 808's also some transition effect which would really require a project file to show usage ;)

And I've got to say it, this weeks select real was pants...

---EDIT---

Actually found a couple of interesting drum kits.

House Mafia Drums
Metro Analogue Congas

Would be really helpful if you could open in Reason from the patch description.

jamespember
Reason Studios

09 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
06 Aug 2021
Yes I agree that this would be really nice. One idea we are throwing around is, whether you should be able to install individual patches and not the entire pack. Not entirely sure yet, thoughts?

QVprod

09 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
06 Aug 2021
Yes I agree that this would be really nice. One idea we are throwing around is, whether you should be able to install individual patches and not the entire pack. Not entirely sure yet, thoughts?
Yes! Ultimately, I think most people are likely using patches from different packs for songs rather than a single pack.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021
How about both?

jamespember
Reason Studios

09 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
09 Aug 2021
jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021
How about both?
To clarify, that's what I meant. That you could install entire packs of patches of course, but also individual patches.

joeyluck

09 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021
avasopht wrote:
09 Aug 2021

How about both?
To clarify, that's what I meant. That you could install entire packs of patches of course, but also individual patches.
I think when the folder structure is fixed, I would feel less inclined to want to download individual patches. The packs aren't large and there aren't but so many patches anyways. One desire to have individual patches is to not have to jump through the redundant folders. That said, if those folders were to remain to contain single patches, I don't see myself downloading patches.

Billy+

09 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021
Well at the moment I'm installing each pack as is,

I'm using companion to search for keyword plus tag and device "which is a handy feature" sometimes I want to use a specific device e.g. House Bass using Reason bass.

Then I scroll through the list until I find something that I like the sound of, which all works great but at that point it becomes more difficult as you have to then go into the patch find the pack then go into Reason and packs then find the pack and then the patch.

So maybe if the patch description page detected that the patch was installed and swapping the listen button for open in or install if it wasn't that would definitely simplify the process as by the time you're looking at the description you've probably already listened to the audio during the search ;)

Billy+

09 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
09 Aug 2021
jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021

I think when the folder structure is fixed, I would feel less inclined to want to download individual patches. The packs aren't large and there aren't but so many patches anyways. One desire to have individual patches is to not have to jump through the redundant folders. That said, if those folders were to remain to contain single patches, I don't see myself downloading patches.
The structure definitely needs some work Packs \ content pack \ content pack \ patches \ patch
Also I still don't think that the previou audio needs to be downloaded and the junk files from OS X really don't need to be there. I've also seen a few 0 byte files?

jamespember
Reason Studios

09 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
09 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
09 Aug 2021

The structure definitely needs some work Packs \ content pack \ content pack \ patches \ patch
Also I still don't think that the previou audio needs to be downloaded and the junk files from OS X really don't need to be there. I've also seen a few 0 byte files?
Agree re: junk files, but what about using the audio content as samples? lots of interesting loops and one-shots in there.

Billy+

09 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021
Agree re: junk files, but what about using the audio content as samples? lots of interesting loops and one-shots in there.
Well I've never used an example audio loop from any pack I've ever purchased I use them for level comparison and that's about it, as for one shots if they are part of the patch then obviously they would need to be downloaded but again I generally don't use pre mastered audio files, I prefer my one shots uncompressed and loops as midi and synth patches as it gives much better control.

I do like the way patches in the content packs have devices that are doing the processing on the channel, but if you take a look at the drum kit mentioned above it has fades using sweeper included as part of the patch however they really don't work as you would want and create pops when first enabled as they use a button that switches bypass / on values of the sweeper device, given the lack of project file it is the only way to include the effects but is definitely not the best way to use them.

However including them does allow for at least an understanding of how to create such effects which I assume is the ultimate goal of the creator.

joeyluck

09 Aug 2021

jamespember wrote:
09 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
09 Aug 2021

I'd probably prefer these as a separate, bundled download.

If there's only one or few loops/demos per pack... I don't think I'd browse Companion to go to each pack and download each piece of audio content separately. Also, if I'm interesting in this content, I probably also don't want to browse each pack in Reason's browser after downloading the packs to find each piece of content in each individual pack. So I think I'd prefer a bundle of audio content.

jamespember
Reason Studios

09 Aug 2021

Thx the input on that!

Billy+

13 Aug 2021

So another week has passed and I'm really disappointed with the sound packs again, that's two whole weeks that they have been less than desirable anyone out there that has enjoyed any of them?

• Information