Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sdst
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2021

hope Reason studio dedicate all the effort to the Rack plugin, doing only instruments and effects, no more DAW

gullum

21 Jul 2021

arnigretar wrote:
21 Jul 2021
Reason 12 is coming... yes, that's for sure. And here if you , like me, decided to jump on the wagon 3$ Reason+ for 3 months. Been user since v1. ReBirth before that. And I have been beta testing Reason versions since beginning. Love this software. But... Reason 12 is making me doubt the software for the first time. Makes me very sad. I have few computers I use and two of them are very good: 1 Macbook pro 2019 with great build. And another PC machine with Windows 10 and the specs are great. However... On both machines I have had troubles loading up projects in Reason 12. The program either just freezes or when it opens - I can just add limited devices before it get's freezing again. Sure, I could send this to the props and complain. But I am not sure what their answers will be. I am simply using project with few Reason instruments and the mixer + effects. Nothing big. On Reason 11 suite (my last bought version) this was nothing for my machines. And should not be a problem for any computer - these are minimum devices, but yet Reason freezes or is loading forever. I have re-installed and all that jazz. Still this problem is ongoing. I have Ableton Live 10 on both these machines (my macbook pro and PC running Windows 10) and I can do whatever I want and the project can be 10x bigger than this simple Reason song file and Ableton Live just runs smoothly. Before you answer that I should have the zoom in Reason 12 as this or that, I am just using the normal zoom. This just tells me the program we love Reason and the version 12 which many of us are using now - isn't ready. Or at least isn't stable. If it was, then loading a simple Reason song file using Redrum, Subtractor, Thor, the mixer and few efx would be working on computers like I have. But it's not :|
Same here a song that takes 7 second to load in Reason 11 is taking 30+ sec to load in R21 and when opening Reason 12 I sometimes get message from Clean my mac that Reason is not responding and fi I want to close it

Billy+

21 Jul 2021

sdst wrote:
21 Jul 2021
hope Reason studio dedicate all the effort to the Rack plugin, doing only instruments and effects, no more DAW
It's fairly obvious that this is already happening ;)

Creativemind

21 Jul 2021

deeplink wrote:
16 Jun 2021
I guess it can get a little too crazy and deep.

But I always thought how cool it would be if a combinator could contain mix channels.

That way you could call up a preset of a good mix of drums etc. very quickly.
Or it's own built in 8, 16 or 32 channel mixer?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Deep Schulzz

21 Jul 2021

gullum wrote:
21 Jul 2021
arnigretar wrote:
21 Jul 2021
Reason 12 is coming... yes, that's for sure. And here if you , like me, decided to jump on the wagon 3$ Reason+ for 3 months. Been user since v1. ReBirth before that. And I have been beta testing Reason versions since beginning. Love this software. But... Reason 12 is making me doubt the software for the first time. Makes me very sad. I have few computers I use and two of them are very good: 1 Macbook pro 2019 with great build. And another PC machine with Windows 10 and the specs are great. However... On both machines I have had troubles loading up projects in Reason 12. The program either just freezes or when it opens - I can just add limited devices before it get's freezing again. Sure, I could send this to the props and complain. But I am not sure what their answers will be. I am simply using project with few Reason instruments and the mixer + effects. Nothing big. On Reason 11 suite (my last bought version) this was nothing for my machines. And should not be a problem for any computer - these are minimum devices, but yet Reason freezes or is loading forever. I have re-installed and all that jazz. Still this problem is ongoing. I have Ableton Live 10 on both these machines (my macbook pro and PC running Windows 10) and I can do whatever I want and the project can be 10x bigger than this simple Reason song file and Ableton Live just runs smoothly. Before you answer that I should have the zoom in Reason 12 as this or that, I am just using the normal zoom. This just tells me the program we love Reason and the version 12 which many of us are using now - isn't ready. Or at least isn't stable. If it was, then loading a simple Reason song file using Redrum, Subtractor, Thor, the mixer and few efx would be working on computers like I have. But it's not :|
Same here a song that takes 7 second to load in Reason 11 is taking 30+ sec to load in R21 and when opening Reason 12 I sometimes get message from Clean my mac that Reason is not responding and fi I want to close it
I use window 10 on pretty powerful PCs and I have the same R12 problems with extrem loading time and also extrem RAM load and and sometimes, but not always, crazy SSD usage. I opened a support ticket 8 days ago. No answer yet. I hope they'll get the problems under control soon.

EnochLight

21 Jul 2021

There's fix in the works - no idea when it will drop, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

21 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021
I wrote some words here, if you're a sucker for more details: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12 :)
"the Combinator. It's both one of the most powerful sound design tools anywhere in the world as well as the easiest, best way to find great patches and just make music. Updating the Combinator is also one of the most highly requested features of all times—from more CV inputs and controls to easier programming and more patches. We're making good on all of this!"

That makes it sound like those 4 things, CV, Inputs, Programming and Patches are the only things being added? that's brilliant but what about a built in mixer that adds channels automatically or can be routed easily so you don't need either of line mixers?
Last edited by Creativemind on 22 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

arnigretar

22 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
21 Jul 2021
gullum wrote:
21 Jul 2021

I use window 10 on pretty powerful PCs and I have the same R12 problems with extrem loading time and also extrem RAM load and and sometimes, but not always, crazy SSD usage. I opened a support ticket 8 days ago. No answer yet. I hope they'll get the problems under control soon.
Good to know that I'm not the only one. Well, maybe not that good to know - since this seems to be a problem. And a big one :?
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Eusantis

23 Jul 2021

arnigretar wrote:
21 Jul 2021

It is sad and it is alarming. One of the best things Reason has ever had, and now they screw it up with it. It does not seem accidental that it coincides in time with putting the program as a subscription. They are demolishing in a short time everything they have achieved over many years.

And I've never been critical of Reason, until just now. It's my favorite daw by far, but I'm starting to fear that with his policy of taking money on everything, more and more, from people who don't use Reason as a DAW, Reason is increasingly threatened with death.

They should publicly apologize and make an amendment resolution, fix this however they can, if they can, and make difficult and perhaps drastic decisions, in order to return the DAW to the path more content that was its essence, and that they should never have abandoned. At least, not in such a blatant and careless way. It seems that the desire for money has blinded them.

I still expect good things from Reason 12, the sampler and the new combinator, but if my computer can't handle the software, and I have a Mcbook pro M1, it won't do me any good.

Also, the sequencer has been in need of many new improvements for a long time. They have forgotten it. It is something that matches their subscription policy, and to sell Reason as a plugin, more than anything else. They are killing the program.

Loque

23 Jul 2021

Yawn 😴
Reason12, Win10

slic

23 Jul 2021

Eusantis wrote:
23 Jul 2021
arnigretar wrote:
21 Jul 2021

It is sad and it is alarming. One of the best things Reason has ever had, and now they screw it up with it. It does not seem accidental that it coincides in time with putting the program as a subscription. They are demolishing in a short time everything they have achieved over many years.

And I've never been critical of Reason, until just now. It's my favorite daw by far, but I'm starting to fear that with his policy of taking money on everything, more and more, from people who don't use Reason as a DAW, Reason is increasingly threatened with death.

They should publicly apologize and make an amendment resolution, fix this however they can, if they can, and make difficult and perhaps drastic decisions, in order to return the DAW to the path more content that was its essence, and that they should never have abandoned. At least, not in such a blatant and careless way. It seems that the desire for money has blinded them.

I still expect good things from Reason 12, the sampler and the new combinator, but if my computer can't handle the software, and I have a Mcbook pro M1, it won't do me any good.

Also, the sequencer has been in need of many new improvements for a long time. They have forgotten it. It is something that matches their subscription policy, and to sell Reason as a plugin, more than anything else. They are killing the program.
That's one opinion, mine is that I didn't like Reason 'until now' (V11) and its never been better or producing higher quality stuff (love Algorithm, Pattern Mutater etc)...they cant please everyone. Subscription is just an option, so nothing has changed. They need to find ways to make money (they obviously were struggling before) or development ends...give them a chance, the market is saturated and there is so much warez its hard to make money selling the product, hence developers looking at subscription.

PS- Personally I hate all the development time being wasted on M1 processors, they could be doing something useful for everyone rather than the very vocal few % who were early adaptors for M1s demanding everyone develop native apps for free immediately! But then I would say that as I am a die-hard PC user ;)

Eusantis

23 Jul 2021

Develop in M1 is part of the present and the future. Would be a pure nightmare (for Reasonstudios and, therefore, for all Reason users) to forget ALL Apple users, in music.
On the other side, I have not been, never, until today, critical with Reasonstudios.

Sometimes you need to be a bit critical, for things to evolve, otherwise reason 11 would never have come, which personally, I agree, was the best Reason to date. I love Algorithm too, and all last Reasonstudios REs.

But at the same time, it is also true that they are neglecting to update the sequencer, and are risking that Reason ceases to be essentially what it was; and the day it ceases to be, no matter how much it has improved, perhaps it has lost its grace forever.

I don't want it to be like that, and that is why I consider this criticism necessary.

There is a middle ground between those who always criticize, and those who never do. Both positions are wrong.

slic

23 Jul 2021

I am one of life's optimists, Reason has finally gone HD and is producing some really interesting instruments and players and I just cant imagen they wont update and modernise the DAW (and add VST 3 support, MPE etc). This could be the 'beginning' of a new wave of Reason with (hopefully) the development budges boosted by all the new users coming in for the HD Rack....

PS- I am tongue in cheek about the M1 (just bought my daughter an M1 MacBook for School) everyone will of course line up behind Apple at some point (+ we have all the fun of Windows 11 to come!)

miscend

23 Jul 2021

slic wrote:
23 Jul 2021

PS- Personally I hate all the development time being wasted on M1 processors, they could be doing something useful for everyone rather than the very vocal few % who were early adaptors for M1s demanding everyone develop native apps for free immediately! But then I would say that as I am a die-hard PC user ;)
M1 users maybe in the minority now. But moving your code to ARM is a good bet for future proofing your software into the next 10-15 yrs. It's possible even Windows PC users will switch at some point in the future like everything else - Cloud Servers, Android, Raspberry Pi etc etc. Intel announced that they're migrating into the chip manufacturing business and will be competing to make Apple Silicon chips for Apple. Intel can see where the market is heading.

arnigretar

23 Jul 2021

Happy to say that since I posted my concerns two days ago - the problem seems to be fixed. Haven't had a problem loading tracks or adding devices. And Reason is not freezing or having problems. Hope this stays :-) I'm a happy camper - at least. You know what they say: post your concerns on a message board and then soon everything will fall into place :reason:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Eusantis

24 Jul 2021

Good news! I am relieved to know!

About my critics, it´s, above all, by the thing: "We are a plugin (and a DAW)", as we can see on the main page of Reasonstudios about Reason. It should, of course, be the opposite:

WE ARE A DAW (AND A PLUGIN!).

I understand that they want to give relevance to the plugin, to gain potential users, but if they insist on that path, that is when Reason will lose its essence. Then it would be just another plugin ...

The sequencer needs urgent improvements. It needs to be updated, and I think we won't see any of that in Reason 12. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The elegance and ease of being able to do it all in a single musical program, stable, original, inspiring ... powerful. I want to continue having that. For example: When the video, when to be able to freeze tracks in a more practical way...?

I know that some time ago we were happy, more or less, with the sequencer, but so were other users with those of their DAWs, which have been updated and improved at a much higher rate. If Reason is more and more a plugin, and less and less a DAW, then, it, finally, will be less and less Reason. And then maybe it's not even interesting as a plugin anymore.

And if by then they have put all their effort into selling it as a plugin, it will be difficult to come back. It will be their downfall, and ours.

It may sound a bit ominous. What I want is to give my opinion about what I think Reason has meant and has been essentially within the music industry: the niche of users that it has achieved over time and that, I know, from a time to this part, they have been stopping using Reason as its main program, to switch to other DAWs.

What's more, they hardly use Reason anymore, either as a plugin, or they do less and less as they get used to the new DAW.

Obviously, I wouldn't write these things if I didn't give a damn about Reason.

Proboscis

08 Aug 2021

While I have 'lost my faith' towards Reason ever updating the small 'quality of life' aspects of the core software, I would love to see a few things in the combinator:

1. The ability to type values into the programmer matrix

2. An additional menu item of 'Set Backdrop to Track Color'

3. Rotary & Button Labels to appear in the Automation lanes. Seriously, after a decade and seven major releases, it annoys me to see "Rotary 1, Rotary 2, Button 1, Button 2" etc.

And as a general sequencer improvement, how about section markers/flags ? Come on, Reason Studios, a DAW without markers is ridiculous.

tobypearce

09 Aug 2021

Proboscis wrote:
08 Aug 2021
While I have 'lost my faith' towards Reason ever updating the small 'quality of life' aspects of the core software, I would love to see a few things in the combinator:

2. An additional menu item of 'Set Backdrop to Track Color'

3. Rotary & Button Labels to appear in the Automation lanes. Seriously, after a decade and seven major releases, it annoys me to see "Rotary 1, Rotary 2, Button 1, Button 2" etc.

And as a general sequencer improvement, how about section markers/flags ? Come on, Reason Studios, a DAW without markers is ridiculous.
yep to all
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

dusan.cani

09 Aug 2021

Proboscis wrote:
08 Aug 2021

Exactly ! It's very tedious to set values only by moving mouse up/down to achieve exact value. I don't understnd why direct value typing isn't allowed from beginning of the existence of this device.

slic

09 Aug 2021

If the Reason Dev's have an sense at all they will pick some of this very low hanging fruit (easy fixes/additions) when 12 is released to at least show they are listening to the community and that the 'DAW' is not forgotten!

kbard

09 Aug 2021

I don't understand completely some of ongoing frustration, but I can see how someone can spiral into this.

You purchase product for what it is at a time of purchasing not for what "it could be in the future". That really is all to it. If you go by it your life will not be as bitter as it is now.

There is generous trial 30 days (edit: it's 7 days or what?). That should be enough for decision. If you don't see a feature or workflow you simply pass on to another product. Or you accept it and work with what you have.

You don't go into store to buy bread only to return complaining how vendor is not delivering sausage with your purchase. Or you don't argue it is not included with it but it should because someone else is including it.

It's a extreme example but is pretty much applied to everything. It is as simple as that.

I could understand people don't liking subscription (I don't), but they left us perpetual license for purchase. You don't need to upgrade, no one is forcing anyone into anything.

I am not saying above to stop someone complaining it is a mere attempt to help someone being so bitter. Buy a tool for what it is at a time of purchase.

If you rely on someone else's promises or hopes you are pretty much setting yourself for a failure.

Remember that our music heroes created and defined foundation for genres we listen today - with so much less tools then today. Technology is important yes but to a degree. Do not let technology (and trends) drives you, you need to drive them.

edit: actually I don't understand did they shortened Trial to 7 days?? But anyway it should be enough right?

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Aug 2021

kbard wrote:
09 Aug 2021
edit: actually I don't understand did they shortened Trial to 7 days?? But anyway it should be enough right?
This one is quite easy to figure out if you really want to understand why they are frustrated.

Think about it for a minute.

Billy+

09 Aug 2021

kbard wrote:
09 Aug 2021
I don't understand completely some of ongoing frustration, but I can see how someone can spiral into this.

You purchase product for what it is at a time of purchasing not for what "it could be in the future". That really is all to it. If you go by it your life will not be as bitter as it is now.

There is generous trial 30 days (edit: it's 7 days or what?). That should be enough for decision. If you don't see a feature or workflow you simply pass on to another product. Or you accept it and work with what you have.

You don't go into store to buy bread only to return complaining how vendor is not delivering sausage with your purchase. Or you don't argue it is not included with it but it should because someone else is including it.

It's a extreme example but is pretty much applied to everything. It is as simple as that.

I could understand people don't liking subscription (I don't), but they left us perpetual license for purchase. You don't need to upgrade, no one is forcing anyone into anything.

I am not saying above to stop someone complaining it is a mere attempt to help someone being so bitter. Buy a tool for what it is at a time of purchase.

If you rely on someone else's promises or hopes you are pretty much setting yourself for a failure.

Remember that our music heroes created and defined foundation for genres we listen today - with so much less tools then today. Technology is important yes but to a degree. Do not let technology (and trends) drives you, you need to drive them.

The frustration I have over vst midi support is that RS released a version claiming vst support but to find out that midi through and routing wasn't available you had to spot the support article so the feature wasn't complete and assuming that they would eventually finish the implementation wasn't such a stupid idea but I'm still waiting......

As for the trial period they have now pushed the plus as the trial and reduced the time to 7 days but you can still run Reason in demo mode for 30 days however as Plus gives you access to the RE pool but the demo mode doesn't allow the use they have again made something simple into a head scratcher.

But you're right about the time frame if I trial software I can generally make a decision within a few hours, it only took me 15 minutes to decide that XO was worth buying, I didn't even need to think about it when I brought Reason V1 but I'm definitely going to be watching the forum for a few months before I go anywhere near V12

VariableX

09 Aug 2021

I cancelled my subscription. just not for me.
Looking forward to R12 and hoping for many new DAW features.

I spend most of my time with my Digitone and Octatrack these days, i really just use Reason to record and maybe supplement what i do with my Elektron devices...

This is why i cancelled, im just not using many reason features anymore so a subscription makes no sense.

I understand it's early release but the 'flakiness' of R12+ wasn't conducive to make me want to use it either.

• Information