Europa Remotable Items Query

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2021

Hi RT

In the remotable items list for Europa, the following stands out;

Code: Select all

OscSel	0	2	Value	ValueOutput
Env Select	0	3	Value	ValueOutput
LFO Select	0	2	Value	ValueOutput
What is the purpose of these items?
It appears they only change what Item the user is viewing,
with no remotable to control the "selected OSC Shape" or "Selected LFO Rate"

However, I am sure Nektar Impact is able to behave in this way - where you select which engine to work on, and the knobs/faders will change accordingly.

Is it possible to map a knob to control the OSC X (1,2,3) shape with X being determined by another switch?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

SebAudio

08 Aug 2021

As usual with Remote it’s anybody guess to find out what’s the purpose of some not trivial items.
Osc sel is just what you’ve found : it’s great because you can make the view « jump » to the oscillator you want. I think the use case is « hybrid » editing when you use physical knobs but still look at the computer screen.
However it’s not link to « groups » which is the mecanism that allow to have one physical control (knob, fader, …) directed to several remotable items (one at a time, 8 groups max)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2021

Hey, you are somewhat lucky i have been looking at Europa's remotes to make a full remote for my BCR2000.

These are all toggles for the displays. Despite in the GUI you have 3 buttons to select osc 1 2 3 (and same for the rest), in remote you have only one button to toggle each device.

TBH, it would be better to have a button to control both toggling and controlling but that's not the way they created the remote.
Is it possible to map a knob to control the OSC X (1,2,3) shape with X being determined by another switch?
Yes. Check how Groups work on for example Mixer 14:2 mixer or redrum. The groups are a way to make a given set of controls to act on different device remotes.
That being said, in europa they will always be separated from the toggle, so you will have to press the group then the toggle (or both at the same time).

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Aug 2021

SebAudio wrote:
08 Aug 2021
As usual with Remote it’s anybody guess to find out what’s the purpose of some not trivial items.
Osc sel is just what you’ve found : it’s great because you can make the view « jump » to the oscillator you want. I think the use case is « hybrid » editing when you use physical knobs but still look at the computer screen.
However it’s not link to « groups » which is the mecanism that allow to have one physical control (knob, fader, …) directed to several remotable items (one at a time, 8 groups max)
Unless this is a limitation of the device, reason does not limit the amount of groups.

SebAudio

08 Aug 2021

mcatalao wrote:
08 Aug 2021
SebAudio wrote:
08 Aug 2021
Unless this is a limitation of the device, reason does not limit the amount of groups.
Yes, my mistake. You can have any number of groups. In practice, if you want to select groups on the control surface itself you’ ll run out of buttons very quikly (I didn’t find a « select next / previous group » item which would allow to use only 2 buttons to select any number of groups ?)

rmtcvolte

08 Aug 2021

SebAudio wrote:
08 Aug 2021
mcatalao wrote:
08 Aug 2021

Yes, my mistake. You can have any number of groups. In practice, if you want to select groups on the control surface itself you’ ll run out of buttons very quikly (I didn’t find a « select next / previous group » item which would allow to use only 2 buttons to select any number of groups ?)
you can use 2 buttons to switch to all groups, but it gets messy if you have more then 4 or 5 groups. It is the same like if you would use a button mapped to something like "SubTractor 1 - Filter Type". You have to hit the button to much to go from one end of the list to the other. For Europa I use two sets of group switches, one for display switch, one to switch to the remote items

for the scope in remotemap use this form:

Define Group	Drum Groups	Drums 1-8	Drums 9-16	Master
Map	Left Button		Drum Groups=Drums 1-8			Drums 9-16
Map	Left Button		Drum Groups=Drums 9-16			Master
Map	Right Button		Drum Groups=Master			Drums 9-16
Map	Right Button		Drum Groups=Drums 9-16			Drums 1-8
(this one is part of my mapping for Kong Drum Designer with BCR2000)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2021

rmtcvolte wrote:
08 Aug 2021
(...)

Oh I see what you did here! My only issue with this approach is that it doesn't show you where you are.

Anyway, This toggling grouping might come in handy when you start getting short of controls for group selection. I have to try it!!! It's a pity you can't assign it to the gui toggle at the same time, but for Europa it might reduce my OSC group and toggling from 4 to 2 buttons! Nice stuff!

rmtcvolte

10 Aug 2021

mcatalao wrote:
10 Aug 2021
rmtcvolte wrote:
08 Aug 2021
(...)

Oh I see what you did here! My only issue with this approach is that it doesn't show you where you are.

Anyway, This toggling grouping might come in handy when you start getting short of controls for group selection. I have to try it!!! It's a pity you can't assign it to the gui toggle at the same time, but for Europa it might reduce my OSC group and toggling from 4 to 2 buttons! Nice stuff!
I do use a virtual display (plugin made with CTRLR.org) to show what is mapped to what on the BCR, for Europa my grouping is:

Define Group	Main	all OSCs, Filter, Amp	Env, all LFOs	FX	Mod Matrix
Define Group	Osc	Osc 1	Osc 2	Osc 3

Map	Store Button		Osc=Osc 2			Osc 1
Map	Store Button		Osc=Osc 3			Osc 2
Map	Store Button		Osc=Osc 1			Osc 3

Map	Display Text 9		"Osc 2"			Osc 1
Map	Display Text 9		"Osc 3"			Osc 2
Map	Display Text 9		"Osc 1"			Osc 3

Map	Preset Left Button		Main=all OSCs, Filter, Amp			Env, all LFOs
Map	Preset Left Button		Main=Env, all LFOs			FX
Map	Preset Left Button		Main=FX			Mod Matrix