Reason 11 slow?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pepe444

02 Aug 2021

Hi everyone, i run a Laptop i7 8550U 8G RAM for most my out of the studio stuff.
One thing i do a lot is to make beats and starting musical ideas using reason 11 but i find it a bit slow after creating a couple machines . Mainly the sequencer. dragging the separators (sequencer / racks /mixer) it drags a bit slow.
Most of the times i run a small audient EVO 4 audio interface, latest drivers, ASIO on Reason side, buffer set to 1024 most times. All nice and smooth.
I own a few other DAWs i work with, and non is so slow so fast. If you know what i mean.
Is this something that everyone finds to be "natural" or is something on my side i need to take care of ?
Thanks in advanced .

PS: i forgot to mention i have a dual graphics card on this laptop. One is intel 620 and the other one is NVIDIA Geforce MX150. Both updated to latest drivers.

whyisitalwaysme

03 Aug 2021

In my experience, Reason does not run much slower than other DAWs I tried, and I have a mediocre PC at best. The only thing that takes long for me is the boot proccess.

There is an option (I think it's under the options tab, not the windows tab) that lets you see the CPU usage in %. Maybe that helps you identify what causes the most workload for your CPU.

Sorry that I can't tell you the exact path for it, but my Reason doesn't even start since a few days. Life is sad ;(

pepe444

03 Aug 2021

Eheheh, no problem. Thanks for your reply. hope you can fix your Reason problem.
Yes i´m aware of the display CPU %. i normally bounce in place the synths or drums i see with a high CPU usage. Anyway that does not seem to fix a lot of the slow dragging. Maybe its a graphics card driver thing with Reason.

Arrant
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2021

No, R11 should not be significantly slower than other DAWs.

Have you enabled the three check marks under Preferences - audio - performance? Especially the last one (render audio using audio card buffer setting) is super important.

pepe444

03 Aug 2021

Arrant wrote:
03 Aug 2021

Have you enabled the three check marks under Preferences - audio - performance? Especially the last one (render audio using audio card buffer setting) is super important.
Hi. Thanks for your reply.
All three options ON.

fullforce

03 Aug 2021

pepe444 wrote:
02 Aug 2021
Hi everyone, i run a Laptop i7 8550U 8G RAM for most my out of the studio stuff.
One thing i do a lot is to make beats and starting musical ideas using reason 11 but i find it a bit slow after creating a couple machines . Mainly the sequencer. dragging the separators (sequencer / racks /mixer) it drags a bit slow.
Most of the times i run a small audient EVO 4 audio interface, latest drivers, ASIO on Reason side, buffer set to 1024 most times. All nice and smooth.
I own a few other DAWs i work with, and non is so slow so fast. If you know what i mean.
Is this something that everyone finds to be "natural" or is something on my side i need to take care of ?
Thanks in advanced .

PS: i forgot to mention i have a dual graphics card on this laptop. One is intel 620 and the other one is NVIDIA Geforce MX150. Both updated to latest drivers.
8GB is really not enough these days. Upgrade to 16.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

gullum

03 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
03 Aug 2021
pepe444 wrote:
02 Aug 2021
Thanks in advanced .

8GB is really not enough these days. Upgrade to 16.
but that will have no affect on his problem so why you want him to spend money that will not fix the problem

pepe444

03 Aug 2021

I think too that the RAM upgrade for this specific problem wont be the solution but yes, i should think about upgrading for other reasons.

whyisitalwaysme

03 Aug 2021

8 GB is more than enough for audio editing. I mostly don't even use send effects but put them all under the tracks and I have no issues with my 8gb system. And if I do, its not the Ram but the CPU that is limiting. The real question is if your CPU is at full capacity when you experience this. Because from what I hear, this really sounds more like a graphics card driver problem.
So, what is your CPU and Ram load when you experience this?

pepe444

04 Aug 2021

I have a default template with all 8 slots from the mixer filled with some reverbs and delays. Redrum routed every single channel to it´s own mix channel and some stock synths (Europa , Thor and Granular)
If i stick with stock instruments / effects its runs smoother.
I need to bounce in place most of the "heavier" synths i use! That´s ok, maybe i need to upgrade my laptop ehehe

Ottostrom

04 Aug 2021

I often use my Macbook Air from 2014 to start song ideas in Reason and I can make fairly large projects before I encounter any problems. With your laptop specs you should not have significant slowdowns with so few devices so if I were you I would continue to search for the problem.

jam-s

04 Aug 2021

pepe444 wrote:
04 Aug 2021
I have a default template with all 8 slots from the mixer filled with some reverbs and delays. Redrum routed every single channel to it´s own mix channel and some stock synths (Europa , Thor and Granular)
Could you give us a run down of those FX? There might be one or two which are particularly heavy on CPU/DSP.

pepe444

04 Aug 2021

Sure, this is my default template right now.
You might not have those plugins but you can see that the redrum routed to individual tracks takes a bit more CPU usage compared to not being routed to those mix tracks.

Link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/16fqissnbqg7y ... eason?dl=0

fullforce

04 Aug 2021

gullum wrote:
03 Aug 2021
but that will have no affect on his problem so why you want him to spend money that will not fix the problem
Unless he shows us a screenshot of the taskmanager, you don't know.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

gullum

04 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
04 Aug 2021
gullum wrote:
03 Aug 2021
and you just know why? :D

fullforce

05 Aug 2021

gullum wrote:
04 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
04 Aug 2021

and you just know why? :D
I don't either, first I'd need to see a screenshot of the taskmanager :P

lowtom

06 Aug 2021

pepe444 wrote:
04 Aug 2021
If i stick with stock instruments / effects its runs smoother.
I would investigate in this direction. It could be one of VST plug-ins that is causing your issues.
:reason: :refill: :re:

selig
RE Developer

06 Aug 2021

pepe444 wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Arrant wrote:
03 Aug 2021

All three options ON.
Try using only the first and last option, most times for me that is the fastest setting for most work.
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

06 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
06 Aug 2021
pepe444 wrote:
03 Aug 2021

All three options ON.
Try using only the first and last option, most times for me that is the fastest setting for most work.
Agreed - same on my machine. I rarely ever use Hyperthreading in Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pepe444

06 Aug 2021

Will give a go on that, thanks.

huggermugger

06 Aug 2021

As already mentioned, try these settings if not already there. Hyper-threading especially can cause slow-downs, even though it seems it should speed things up.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 5.05.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 5.05.00 PM.png (182.23 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

• Information