DAW that resamples audio in sequencer?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
plaamook

29 Jul 2021

Does anyone know of a DAW that can resample in the actual sequencer, as opposed to time stretch and pitch shift?

I do a lot of this sort of thing working with a Grain patch so I can see the sample and I can pitch it down or up in Tape mode, so it's proper resampling. Then when I want to arrange it further I bounce the audio into the timeline. But I wonder if there's a DAW that can do this in place in the sequencer/timeline so that you can just import the audio and as you pitch it up or down an octave or two or three it stretches that audio clip accordingly (tape style) without your standard half baked pitch/stretch algorithm artifacts.

Thanks in advance
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Ottostrom

29 Jul 2021

plaamook wrote:
29 Jul 2021
Does anyone know of a DAW that can resample in the actual sequencer, as opposed to time stretch and pitch shift?

I do a lot of this sort of thing working with a Grain patch so I can see the sample and I can pitch it down or up in Tape mode, so it's proper resampling. Then when I want to arrange it further I bounce the audio into the timeline. But I wonder if there's a DAW that can do this in place in the sequencer/timeline so that you can just import the audio and as you pitch it up or down an octave or two or three it stretches that audio clip accordingly (tape style) without your standard half baked pitch/stretch algorithm artifacts.

Thanks in advance
Ableton has a "Re-Pitch" mode for audio which does just that!
It also has several other useful warping styles that I hope RS decides to implement in the future.
Here's an article about audio stretching in Ableton

selig
RE Developer

29 Jul 2021

I do this all the time in Reason’s timeline - just stretch the clip 2x and lower the pitch 1 octave for half speed tape effects.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jul 2021

Turn warp off in live before adjusting pitch should also change the length of the clip. 🤔

plaamook

29 Jul 2021

selig wrote:
29 Jul 2021
I do this all the time in Reason’s timeline - just stretch the clip 2x and lower the pitch 1 octave for half speed tape effects.
Thanks Selig but it only works at one octave, which is fine but I need to go deeper.
I can't (one can't...) pitch down more than 12.? semi's...even though the dial goes to 127. Funny little reason quirk.
So I bounnce in place and repeat. By 2 octaves down the artefacts are very noticable compared to Grain in tape mode or NNXT or equiv.
By 3 oct it's a mess.

Or here.

plaamook

29 Jul 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
29 Jul 2021
plaamook wrote:
29 Jul 2021

Thanks in advance
Ableton has a "Re-Pitch" mode for audio which does just that!
It also has several other useful warping styles that I hope RS decides to implement in the future.
Here's an article about audio stretching in Ableton
Thanks.
Yeah that should work but that article says "Re-pitch Mode takes the replay speed information from the master tempo" whic is confusing because it suggests that you're stuck with whatever the master tempo is set at rather than being able to just grap a clip and drag it out to 2-3 octaves down.

I've been meaning to demo Live for ages. Maybe I just need to do that.

Cheers

Or here.

Ottostrom

29 Jul 2021

plaamook wrote:
29 Jul 2021
Thanks.
Yeah that should work but that article says "Re-pitch Mode takes the replay speed information from the master tempo" whic is confusing because it suggests that you're stuck with whatever the master tempo is set at rather than being able to just grap a clip and drag it out to 2-3 octaves down.

Cheers
Yeah I was a bit confused about that line as well but I jumped into my trial Ableton and tested the feature out and it appears to mean that it takes the master tempo as the starting point for normal playback of the audio and then I can just shift+drag it to whatever length I want and it gets pitched up or down accordingly :)

(I really hope the new Mimic Sampler will let you do this faster inside Reason)

plaamook

30 Jul 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
29 Jul 2021
plaamook wrote:
29 Jul 2021
Thanks.

Cheers
Yeah I was a bit confused about that line as well but I jumped into my trial Ableton and tested the feature out and it appears to mean that it takes the master tempo as the starting point for normal playback of the audio and then I can just shift+drag it to whatever length I want and it gets pitched up or down accordingly :)

(I really hope the new Mimic Sampler will let you do this faster inside Reason)
That’s what I hoped to find.
And it’s artefact free? Does it give you a reading of how many semitones it’s pitched?
Sorry to bother you about these details but I’ve got probs w large downloads at the mo.

Or here.

Ottostrom

30 Jul 2021

plaamook wrote:
30 Jul 2021
And it’s artefact free? Does it give you a reading of how many semitones it’s pitched?
Sorry to bother you about these details but I’ve got probs w large downloads at the mo.
It seems very artefact-free!
Doesn't show you any pitch info about the audio unfortunately.

plaamook

30 Jul 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
30 Jul 2021
plaamook wrote:
30 Jul 2021
It seems very artefact-free!
Doesn't show you any pitch info about the audio unfortunately.
Ok thanks. I’ll have a look at it when I can.

Or here.

selig
RE Developer

30 Jul 2021

plaamook wrote:
29 Jul 2021
selig wrote:
29 Jul 2021
Thanks Selig but it only works at one octave, which is fine but I need to go deeper.
I can't (one can't...) pitch down more than 12.? semi's...even though the dial goes to 127. Funny little reason quirk.
So I bounnce in place and repeat. By 2 octaves down the artefacts are very noticable compared to Grain in tape mode or NNXT or equiv.
By 3 oct it's a mess.
Up to two octaves are possible at a time with a little creativity….transpose 1 oct in the main timeline and another octave in the comp editor “take” lane!
The Studer machines I worked on through the 80/90s only had two speeds - three octaves on other machines always sounded like crap to me anyway, probably because of there being no high end lest plus the low frequencies pushed into subsonic ranges. Can’t imagine Reason sounding worse!!! 🤓
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Jul 2021

I wonder why nobody implements simple "tape" style stretch in addition to the pitch-preserving methods. Unlike them, that simple method would not need any limits on the stretch ratio, like 2 or 4 times. It could be set on a clip basis and applied whenever a clip is time-stretched or it could follow the tempo automation.

jam-s

30 Jul 2021

I'm sure you are aware of this, but you can also use NN19 to resample the audio as it's a classic sampler without any independent pitch-/tempo-shifting capabilities. Depending on the desired result using it might also be an alternative.

plaamook

30 Jul 2021

jam-s wrote:
30 Jul 2021
I'm sure you are aware of this, but you can also use NN19 to resample the audio as it's a classic sampler without any independent pitch-/tempo-shifting capabilities. Depending on the desired result using it might also be an alternative.
Yeah that’s the long way. Bounce it out of a sampler.
But as the bear says above, why not implement it as a stretch setting in the sequencer as it appears Live has done.
Seems like the most obvious thing now that I’m thinking if it.

Or here.

Goriila Texas

02 Aug 2021

FL Studio has the most options when it comes to pitch so many things to choose from.

plaamook wrote:
30 Jul 2021
jam-s wrote:
30 Jul 2021
But as the bear says above, why not implement it as a stretch setting in the sequencer as it appears Live has done.

Ottostrom

03 Aug 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Aug 2021
FL Studio has the most options when it comes to pitch so many things to choose from.

plaamook wrote:
30 Jul 2021

"e3 Generic - A 'Default' mode is designed to work with the widest range of input signals. As usual, experiment with other methods if you hear unwanted artifacts.
e3 Mono - Specialized for monophonic input signals such as vocals or solo instruments. Uses automatic formant preservation techniques.
e2 Generic (Pro default & Pro transient) - Older version of e3 Generic.
e2 Transient (Transient & Tonal) - Transient and formant preserving stretch method.
e2 Mono (Monophonic) - Older version of e3 Mono.
e2 Speech (Speech) - Optimized for spoken words. For singing, use the 'e3 or e2 Mono' mode)."

This is what I could find regarding FL studios audio pitch methods and if this is it then Ableton definitely has a better variety.

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2021

orthodox wrote:
30 Jul 2021
I wonder why nobody implements simple "tape" style stretch in addition to the pitch-preserving methods. Unlike them, that simple method would not need any limits on the stretch ratio, like 2 or 4 times. It could be set on a clip basis and applied whenever a clip is time-stretched or it could follow the tempo automation.
Pro Tools has had tape mode stretching forever FWIW, which I got quite used to using - and why I was quick to find a way to do the same thing in Reason, even if it takes two clicks instead of one (like so many things in Reason…).
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
03 Aug 2021
orthodox wrote:
30 Jul 2021
Pro Tools has had tape mode stretching forever FWIW, which I got quite used to using - and why I was quick to find a way to do the same thing in Reason, even if it takes two clicks instead of one (like so many things in Reason…).
Unfortunately, that two-click method only works for constant pitch shifts, not what I would get with tempo automation controlled tape slowdown. And I suspect the result of pitch and tempo change is not the same as that of plain resampling, even for "Allround" stretch type.

Goriila Texas

08 Aug 2021

What does Live have??

Ottostrom wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
02 Aug 2021

"e3 Generic - A 'Default' mode is designed to work with the widest range of input signals. As usual, experiment with other methods if you hear unwanted artifacts.
e3 Mono - Specialized for monophonic input signals such as vocals or solo instruments. Uses automatic formant preservation techniques.
e2 Generic (Pro default & Pro transient) - Older version of e3 Generic.
e2 Transient (Transient & Tonal) - Transient and formant preserving stretch method.
e2 Mono (Monophonic) - Older version of e3 Mono.
e2 Speech (Speech) - Optimized for spoken words. For singing, use the 'e3 or e2 Mono' mode)."

This is what I could find regarding FL studios audio pitch methods and if this is it then Ableton definitely has a better variety.

Ottostrom

09 Aug 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
08 Aug 2021
What does Live have??
Check the article I linked in the first post of this thread.

selig
RE Developer

09 Aug 2021

orthodox wrote:
03 Aug 2021
selig wrote:
03 Aug 2021

Unfortunately, that two-click method only works for constant pitch shifts, not what I would get with tempo automation controlled tape slowdown. And I suspect the result of pitch and tempo change is not the same as that of plain resampling, even for "Allround" stretch type.
DIdn't think we were talking slowdowns. FWIW, I love the sound of half speed in Reason using the approach I mentioned (I started on tape in the 1970s, so I'm not unfamiliar with the sound of off speed playback). Plus it works today with no extra plugins required! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2021

orthodox wrote:
30 Jul 2021
For the most general usage in the sequencer the pitch preserving stretch and time preserving pitch, are the most usable for most day to day tasks. For more creative tasks, you either do Selig's aproach or use some device.

That being said, you can stop wondering. Mimic just got out on R12.1 today and Tape style stretch is one of the modes it has. You just have to go through the device though, but it seems to be a heck of a sampling machine.

selig
RE Developer

10 Aug 2021

mcatalao wrote:
10 Aug 2021
orthodox wrote:
30 Jul 2021
For the most general usage in the sequencer the pitch preserving stretch and time preserving pitch, are the most usable for most day to day tasks. For more creative tasks, you either do Selig's aproach or use some device.

That being said, you can stop wondering. Mimic just got out on R12.1 today and Tape style stretch is one of the modes it has. You just have to go through the device though, but it seems to be a heck of a sampling machine.
Yay, we can talk about it finally - and yes, it does sound pretty darn good in TAPE mode (already have one song from a simple sample dropped into Mimic). Been waiting for the release to mention this in this thread…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information