Arp Odessey by Korg, preview in a view minutes

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ocean of Waves

22 Jan 2015

Who's watching?

Olivier

22 Jan 2015

In a few minutes ? It was last night, what you have there is the recording.  ;)
Anyway, its good, coz now you can skip to the interesting bits ^^

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Olivier

22 Jan 2015

For me personally, anything with less then a 4 octave keyboard i find pretty useless anyway. So i'm not too bothered with minikeys.
i'll wait for a module version anyway, like with the MS20, which is going to be available, Yay !!

Failed Muso

22 Jan 2015

The Korg launch was, without question, the worst product launch I have EVER seen. Two hours of bollocks, poorly presented and full of complete wankery from the likes of Rudess, the product endorsing whore that he is. And then the demo of the Odyssey lasted 5 minutes or so, where the guy proceeded to noodle over the Kronos and embelish his self indulgent crap with a single Odyssey patch.
The most interesting part was the two Korg engineers. Not even David Friend livened things up, and his slide deck served only to show us all the friends he had back in the day and then he laughingly referred to his all time favourite track that used an ARP as The Who's Baba O'Reily, which actually uses a Lowery Organ Marimba Repeat setting and not a synthesizer in sight!

If you're going to demo keyboards, at the very least have an overhead cam so we can see what you're doing, although Rudess seemed content to bop his head in time with the pre-recorded backing track, before wildly noodling some pretentious lead line. And the Dirty Loops guy? Awkward. Could Korg not have stretched for a few headset or lapel mics?

Very poor, and the Odyssey itself, which looks lovely, is going to retail for the thick end of £1000. Not that I'm any closer to parting with £1000 for something I'm still yet to hear in anger.
Save your money people, get an Oddity2 :)

Sorry for going off on one, but me and a fair few thousand others sat through the live event last night and I've yet to hear from anyone that was impressed by it :sleep:

Olivier

22 Jan 2015

It was quite a crappy presentation indeed.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

It was a pitiful two hours. I'd have done a better live demo!

I don't mind the 14% size reduction, although I've still not tried the MS-20m specifically, I don't mind the MicroKorg minikeys. And I still give Korg a bit of credit for continuing to do real analog for under a grand.

But seriously, is it *that* hard and expensive to do polyphonic analog for under $1000? A thousand bucks for a monosynth in 2014, that's a big chunk of cash for something fairly basic, however cool.

Where I do disagree with Rob is that software synths have never been an adequate replacement for hardware synths, that have the two-handed tactile tweakability that just isn't the same either via single-control at time manipulation via a mouse, or two-handed "guess the parameter" control via a well-knob-endowed MIDI controller.

Failed Muso

22 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Where I do disagree with Rob is that software synths have never been an adequate replacement for hardware synths, that have the two-handed tactile tweakability that just isn't the same either via single-control at time manipulation via a mouse, or two-handed "guess the parameter" control via a well-knob-endowed MIDI controller.
Oh I agree that a tactile dedicated control surface rules, but is it worth the difference between £139 for Oddity2 and £950 for the KARP Odyssey? I'd love to own one, but the Oddity2 gives me everything the hardware does sonically (it too features all three filters) but it gives WAY more (assignable LFO to almost every parameter). If the KARP was £499, I'd be hard pushed to choose, that's for sure :)

bitley

22 Jan 2015

It's a matter of taste but if I long for a hardware synth, no software in the world can take that GAS away. What Korg has done is stunning really. It's a bit pricey if you compare with the other new upcomers like Minibrute and Bass Station II but it's on the other hand less than one third of the price of a Minimoog Voyager. I have always loved the 1978 design of the Odyssey so I do for sure feel a bit of GAS here. I just don't know why it would be good for me. :D

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

22 Jan 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Where I do disagree with Rob is that software synths have never been an adequate replacement for hardware synths, that have the two-handed tactile tweakability that just isn't the same either via single-control at time manipulation via a mouse, or two-handed "guess the parameter" control via a well-knob-endowed MIDI controller.
Failed Muso wrote:
Oh I agree that a tactile dedicated control surface rules, but is it worth the difference between £139 for Oddity2 and £950 for the KARP Odyssey? I'd love to own one, but the Oddity2 gives me everything the hardware does sonically (it too features all three filters) but it gives WAY more (assignable LFO to almost every parameter). If the KARP was £499, I'd be hard pushed to choose, that's for sure :)
You're lucky you can stand VSTi hosting ;)

I come out in hives when I have to do that. I only ever used impOSCAR once, god I'd love that to have been brought out for Reason.

Edit: I was wrong about monophonic, I thought it was 2 osc mono, but it's clearly playable duophonic in the latest video.

It does look jolly cool. Still pricey for what it is, though. It needs to be sub-£700 to be justifiable.

bpmorton

25 Jan 2015

Mini keys suck. I'll stick with my Moog.

• Information