Best Midi Controllers for Reason Mixer?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2021

Hi RT

Apart from the Nektar P1, do you have a recommendation a midi controller to solely control Reason's mixer?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

BumCuddle

01 Aug 2021

Don't know if it's any help but I use the Korg NanoKontrol Studio and have no trouble assigning to the mixer.
It has enough sliders, knobs and buttons for me. I use it along with the LPK25 keyboard when using my laptop set up.
Not sure if you are looking for more functionality but it gets me by ok, good luck :thumbup:

I'd also mention that in the video the guy talks about it's durability but I think he underplays it, it is a lot more solid in real life than he says IMO.

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
01 Aug 2021
Don't know if it's any help but I use the Korg NanoKontrol Studio and have no trouble assigning to the mixer.
It has enough sliders, knobs and buttons for me. I use it along with the LPK25 keyboard when using my laptop set up.
Not sure if you are looking for more functionality but it gets me by ok, good luck :thumbup:

I'd also mention that in the video the guy talks about it's durability but I think he underplays it, it is a lot more solid in real life than he says IMO.
Thanks I have looked into this, can you clarify:

Do the mute/solo buttons and pan buttons work as expected?
Is there any functionality for the jogwheel in Reason?
Does the transport function as expected?
What does the 'select' buttons assigned to?

altron

01 Aug 2021

I use a Mackie MCU Pro for the Reason mixer and transport controls. It might be difficult to get a hold of one these days but its build quality is top notch. It's a pleasure to work with.
Trap is where music goes to die.

sonicbyte

01 Aug 2021

I Guess the icon platform, any of them works well...
https://iconproaudio.com/product/platform-nano/

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2021

I guess theres no other paralled integration than Nektar. I like their Instrument/Mixer switch. But I'm not a fan of the finish and knobs of the P1, nor am I fan of the price tag.

The Korg Nanokontrol has got what I'm looking for. Although I doubt the jog wheel works, and I loathe redundant functionality.

The Akai midimix is more my price range, but I've heard the integration is really poor.

It's just a pity that as a Reason DAW user, there's actually very limited well integrated hardware..

mcatalao
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2021

I have to say if you guys think reason only works well with Nectar's stuff, you have a very narrow knowledge of what is around and how Remote works.

Also, imho... ANY controller for the mixer that does not have motorized faders is not worth it. The best option for reason's mixer is still today a big 16 or 24 motorized fader group of controllers (check Behringer X touch with 1 or 2 extenders, the iCon or the Mackies MCU). Pair this with a rotator controller with 16 or 32 knobs (infinite encoders) and you have a workflow similar to a real desk that can control the main mixer and ANY device in reason, may it be a core device, rack extension or vst.

I work with 3 BCF2000 and a BCR2000, and i have a 90% mouse independent mixing workflow.

• Information