(demo) Korg Arp Odyssey

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
raymondh

23 Jul 2021

I bought a Korg Arp Odyssey recently, and as part of learning how to use it, decided to make a track with all sounds like the synth, including percussion.

It was pretty tricky TBH on a few fronts;
- No patch memory - so every time I wanted to re-do a line, I had to re-program it from scratch!
- There's no notch or anything for the continuous VCO frequency sliders. So had to use a reference tone from another synth every now and then to check I was keeping it all tuned properly :D
- No MIDI controller data, only note on/off and note value. Not even pitch wheel / mod data. So couldn't record that into the sequencer for fine tuning. My performance skills are not great!
- Mono/duophonic so chords were recorded one note at a time (though luckily not to tape like the old days :) )

That all said, a really fun experience. Everything analog and very hands on, there's no feeling of being abstracted from the hardware. It's really hard to describe but it's a nice user experience. And it's a nice sounding synth.

I used:
Cockos Reaper
Reason Studios Reason 11, Synchronous, Audiomatic, Pulveriser, RV7000
McDSP FRG-4RE, C670
Softube Saturation Knob, dyna-mite
Synapse AF-4 Analog Filter, Fat Space, GQ-7, Deep Reverb
Kuassa EVE-AT-1
Soniccharge Echobode
Sonicbits pump
izotope Maximizer
ValhallaDSP Shimmer
JP Chenille BBD Chorus Ensemble

electricthing

25 Jul 2021

Very nice track. You used the Arp O. in a good way. I got the synth, module, and it's special, but can also sound ugly easily imo.
Love the leadsound. Reminds me of John Foxx (Underpass) and other new wave.
And good arrangement.

raymondh

26 Jul 2021

Thanks for the feedback! Yes it can sound pretty nasty when un-tamed! :)

• Information