Moving to Reaper from Reason

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Creativemind

14 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
07 Mar 2021
Personal issue with Reaper is loading plugins and creating sends. Every other DAW has a better workflow. Never got on with the pop up menu to choose plugins. Sends are routed manually but it’s more convoluted than the manual routing in Pro Tools. Granted I haven used it since V4, so maybe some this has been improved.
All's you do to create a send is double click in the blank space in the TCP to create a new track and that will be your send channel. Add desired send and it's easy peasy, you just click the route button on the track you want to send it from and hold the mouse button down until you're on a blank part of the send channel in the TCP and voila, send created. That send has it's own channel on the mixer too so it's effectively also a bus.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

14 Jul 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
08 Mar 2021
Reaper is for people who like to tweak a lot a customize everything under the hood of DAW. Diving deep into manuals instead of making music. No way you load it and create music right away, as someone already mentioned it's hotkey centric. I would recommend giving Studio One chance.
Don't understand that sentiment cause no daw can you open and use straight away. You have to learn how to use it? If I started usijg Cubase tomorrow, it'd take me a coupled of days to learn it's basic ins and outs.

You'd probably be in the same with Reaper. Everything else you learn as you go along.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2021

For every time you click by the nag screen, your audio quality drops a little bit each time. Until eventually everything you make sounds like chiptune.

guitfnky

14 Jul 2021

Creativemind wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Goriila Texas wrote:
08 Mar 2021
Reaper is for people who like to tweak a lot a customize everything under the hood of DAW. Diving deep into manuals instead of making music. No way you load it and create music right away, as someone already mentioned it's hotkey centric. I would recommend giving Studio One chance.
Don't understand that sentiment cause no daw can you open and use straight away. You have to learn how to use it? If I started usijg Cubase tomorrow, it'd take me a coupled of days to learn it's basic ins and outs.

You'd probably be in the same with Reaper. Everything else you learn as you go along.
this is a disingenuous way to present it. nobody’s suggesting there’s software out there that you can somehow master the first time you open it. some DAWs are much easier to use than others. Reaper is not an easy learn if you want to get the most out of it. Reason is super easy by comparison.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

14 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Use Cakewalk - it's free for real:

That splash screen is a beauty.

Creativemind

14 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jun 2021
I can’t believe there are people arguing that using paid software without paying for it isn’t piracy.

just because someone leaves the doors unlocked and their keys in the ignition doesn’t mean it’s not theft if you drive their car away—even if you put it back.
It's like if you find an unlocked bicycle (here in the U.K anyway) and decide to ride it off, it's called, "theft by finding".

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

Creativemind wrote:
14 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
07 Mar 2021
Personal issue with Reaper is loading plugins and creating sends. Every other DAW has a better workflow. Never got on with the pop up menu to choose plugins. Sends are routed manually but it’s more convoluted than the manual routing in Pro Tools. Granted I haven used it since V4, so maybe some this has been improved.
All's you do to create a send is double click in the blank space in the TCP to create a new track and that will be your send channel. Add desired send and it's easy peasy, you just click the route button on the track you want to send it from and hold the mouse button down until you're on a blank part of the send channel in the TCP and voila, send created. That send has it's own channel on the mixer too so it's effectively also a bus.
So it’s the same exact workflow it’s been. As I said, Pro Tools is also manual routing, but far more straightforward IMO.

visheshl

15 Jul 2021

So I downloaded reaper, watched a few tutorial videos, and yes it's almost too customisable. Everything can be customised. Which isn't a good thing. There needs to be a certain way of working with any software. If everything is custom, then you can't really have any commonality. Hence no certain ways of problem solving either. Every user will tell you different ways to do the same thing. Even the project structure is customisable, which is pretty stupid actually. There's no straight answer to where reaper stores your project media files. Although customisable, reaper should adopt a default way of working with default shortcuts etc. Even the menus are customisable, I mean you can even ask what action is available in which menu, as every user will have their daw setup differently.

Creativemind

15 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Creativemind wrote:
14 Jul 2021

So it’s the same exact workflow it’s been. As I said, Pro Tools is also manual routing, but far more straightforward IMO.
If you don't mind, how's it work in Pro Tools?

motuscott

15 Jul 2021

I’m transitioning from Reas to Reap. Here’s my take: it’s not like I’m trying to be a Reaper expert, capable of teaching others the DAW. I’m working my way slowly through the vids and manual, finding the methods that suit me and saving as a default, then moving on to the next thing I don’t understand. I’m building a DAW that works the way I need it to. This feels much less overwhelming than trying to learn Digital Performer as my first DAW twenty years ago where I was like, What’s a sequencer?
Anyways, I have way too much invested in REs to let Reason go. I love the plugs and community, but I need some things that apparently ain’t coming.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

QVprod

15 Jul 2021

Creativemind wrote:
15 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021

If you don't mind, how's it work in Pro Tools?
Similar concept. Create an aux channel assign a (bus) send from desired channel to that bus. It’s all drop down menus though aside from loading a new aux.

teddymcw

15 Jul 2021

motuscott wrote:
15 Jul 2021
I’m transitioning from Reas to Reap. Here’s my take: it’s not like I’m trying to be a Reaper expert, capable of teaching others the DAW. I’m working my way slowly through the vids and manual, finding the methods that suit me and saving as a default, then moving on to the next thing I don’t understand. I’m building a DAW that works the way I need it to. This feels much less overwhelming than trying to learn Digital Performer as my first DAW twenty years ago where I was like, What’s a sequencer?
Anyways, I have way too much invested in REs to let Reason go. I love the plugs and community, but I need some things that apparently ain’t coming.
Thought we'd convinced you to adapt Logic mate? Reaper... sounds heavy... bro-oh. Especially since we starkly miss your presence at all the q meetings but nevertheless it's guaranteed your statue will remain maintained in honor of all your wonderful contributions over the years. May the Motu be with you.

guitfnky

15 Jul 2021

motuscott wrote:
15 Jul 2021
that’s a really good approach. I had to learn Digital Performer because like a dummy I bought into it before I had really tried it.

normally I like to be able to get started with something basic then as scenarios arise that I want to try, I’m forced to learn how to do it. with Reason, that was very natural. in Reaper, I felt like I could barely even get the program open before I had a ton of questions that needed answering. your methodical approach could’ve worked for me, if I’d been smart enough to try it. I’m glad I landed up with Ableton though—seems a nice middle ground.

still, I’ll keep this idea tucked away in the back of my brain for whenever I decide to give Reaper another install (happens every couple of years), and try to be more patient with myself.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

motuscott

15 Jul 2021

Thanks fellas.
📡 Stop the space lasers
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Creativemind

21 Jul 2021

Proboscis

25 Jul 2021

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

It's common for people to think that moderators are somehow held to such a high regard that we aren't allowed opinions or able to take perspectives that are largely in opposition to what forum members expect.
Surely there are some standards!
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Some of us are complete assholes
You are not an asshole. But, in using the term ‘us’, that is inclusive of ‘you’…

‘You’, as a forum member (albeit a deputized overseer) do not deserve people using such language against you. The rules state;

1. No personal attacks and/or name calling

I won’t lodge a report this time, but it would be gentlemanly if you apologized to EnochLight for abusing him/her/them with such indecent nouns.
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

I can be an ornery son of a beeyotch
It’s taken me so long to reply, because I was sitting with the word ‘ornery’. And it’s only after re-watching ‘Team America: World Police’ again that I realize you’re not saying ‘ronery’
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

So I'll reiterate: it's not piracy as far as I am concerned.
And I, dear brother, shall also reiterate;

Maybe it doesn't fit the definition of 'piracy', but it certainly is in violation of their EULA

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

cracking the software and sharing it on torrents or elsewhere (which is 100% software piracy).
I’m genuinely surprised anyone bothered cracking the software, considering it’s ‘perpetual’ by virtue of their trust model. Do you run a cracked version? You’re already breaking their EULA on an expired trial, so there’s not really any position of virtue to maintain.

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Like I said, I'm an asshole.
You are not an asshole. You are a brave & powerful individual.

Please go easy on yourself, brother/sister/friend.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2021

Proboscis wrote:
25 Jul 2021
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

cracking the software and sharing it on torrents or elsewhere (which is 100% software piracy).
I’m genuinely surprised anyone bothered cracking the software, considering it’s ‘perpetual’ by virtue of their trust model. Do you run a cracked version? You’re already breaking their EULA on an expired trial, so there’s not really any position of virtue to maintain.
This is the flaw in thought.

There is "no position of virtue to maintain" - according to your worldview. This is not actually a fact or some objective truth.

Other people happy see the world differently and can distinguish between:
1. Using software beyond the evaluation period (or happily revaluating it after doing an OS reset or on their new laptop)
2. Using a copy of software given by a friend with their serial (or sometimes with no serial at all)
3. Using cracked software
4. Not trying to return a found phone to the owner
5. Stealing a car

You might think they're mostly indistinguishable, and that doing one means you have no virtue to maintain to refrain from the others.

But that's only true in your model of virtue.

Someone else's may differ greatly, be vastly more complex, or just be more nuanced than yours.

It's easy to think ones values are superior and that these payment evading heathen pirates are lesser beings, but that's mostly the ego talking IMO.

Proboscis

26 Jul 2021

avasopht wrote:
26 Jul 2021

There is "no position of virtue to maintain" - according to your worldview.
It's a rather self-confident statement to be determinant of my 'worldview'.
avasopht wrote:
26 Jul 2021
This is not actually a fact or some objective truth.
The relevant parts of Reaper's EULA were quoted earlier. T's & C's are entirely objective, upon the words contained in the agreement. If you think otherwise, please show me where Cockos are supporting the notion of people using their DAW outside of the trial period.

They even remind folks of the agreement in the post-trial splash screen. It says REAPER IS NOT FREE.

How many hairs can we split ?

EnochLight

26 Jul 2021

Proboscis wrote:
25 Jul 2021
I’m genuinely surprised anyone bothered cracking the software, considering it’s ‘perpetual’ by virtue of their trust model.
I'm not suggesting anyone cracked it. I explained (very clearly I thought?) that cracking any software and sharing it on torrents is software piracy.
Proboscis wrote:
25 Jul 2021
Do you run a cracked version? You’re already breaking their EULA on an expired trial, so there’s not really any position of virtue to maintain.
Of course not, Proboscis - but where did I claim to be "virtuous"? :shock: :lol: I already told you I consider myself an asshole. :thumbup: If the trial expired, they should lock the software use past a determined period. Otherwise, what's the point in letting users use the software indefinitely, for free (which is what their current "trial" allows very easily)? To test one's "virtue"?
Proboscis wrote:
25 Jul 2021
EnochLight wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Like I said, I'm an asshole.
You are not an asshole. You are a brave & powerful individual.

Please go easy on yourself, brother/sister/friend.
Hey now - i worked hard for that title. Don't take that away from me! :puf_bigsmile: But thanks.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kbard

26 Jul 2021

It's really sad seeing people working against their own moral interests.

Reaper is not free that's really simple. It is a commercial product which can be purchased for silly money especially for what you can do with it.

The fact that someone can and is using or abusing it past trial period is a reflection of their own consciousness. As simple as that.

Support the developer and end this silly debate.

EnochLight

26 Jul 2021

If it makes you feel any better, I of course feel people should support developers and pay for the software they use if it paying for it is a requirement. I also feel if a dev really wanted people to pay for their software first and foremost, they wouldn't allow you to use it in a trial-mode period forever, for free. It's strange. Just say'n.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kbard

26 Jul 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jul 2021
If the trial expired, they should lock the software use past a determined period. Otherwise, what's the point in letting users use the software indefinitely, for free (which is what their current "trial" allows very easily)? To test one's "virtue"?
Perhaps point is that the dev is not a person motivated and obsessed by capital?

Nag screens where a practice around 25-35 years ago when all this started so this really isn't something new.

Is it really so hard to imagine that developer isn't using some deceptive mind bending trick and is allowing you to continue to use the his amazing software with the nagscreen reminder mechanism hopefully reminding you to eventually when you have a chance to be fair and in financial position to purchase his software?

That's what I think when I say it is REALLY a hard time being audio (or any) developer.

Company introduce USB e-licenser protection for their DAW. Thousands complain. Invasive copy protection, booo you suck!!!
Company introduce PACE ilok copy protection - you suck boooooo
Company introduce online auth - you suck boooooo
Company provide you with free trial and a nagscreen later - ahhh there must be a catch. I am really cunning and smart. It must be that I will never purchase software and this nagscreen is some sort of pyramidal scheme.

I bet that if Reason (or put any name here) offer you Reason completely for free to the public I can assure you people would complain that this must be some trick and then they would twist and bend logic to justify their ramblings.

Hence - it's really a hard time.

kbard

26 Jul 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jul 2021
If it makes you feel any better, I of course feel people should support developers and pay for the software they use if it paying for it is a requirement. I also feel if a dev really wanted people to pay for their software first and foremost, they wouldn't allow you to use it in a trial-mode period forever, for free. It's strange. Just say'n.
No it's not strange. He made it clear. It's not free. What is strange there? Why is it so hard to imagine that the dev does not rape your computer with invasive copy protection but instead he count on you being a decent human being sometimes when a life allow you to do so?

How is that strange?

Perhaps he encountered many drawbacks and he does not want to play it low. Imagine you start trial of his software and life kicks in so you are dragged to something else. So your trial end. But wait..you can still use it to mix or finish what you started. You don't need to beg him to reset your trial, to reset your computer remote location (pace), this or that.

All you need to do is to be fair.

DaveyG

26 Jul 2021

For the record, Reaper has been cracked, which I find kinda amusing given the above discussion.

EnochLight

26 Jul 2021

DaveyG wrote:
26 Jul 2021
For the record, Reaper has been cracked, which I find kinda amusing given the above discussion.
Indeed! And I never suggested anyone should ever used cracked or pirated software. I stand in solidarity with devs that have had their software cracked and illegally distributed - no patience or tolerance for that.

• Information