Combinator to switch connected VSTs on or off

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EdwardKiy

21 Jul 2021

Apologies if this is a "newb" question. Is there any way I could create a combinator with, say, some spiders, which would serve as an on/off button to any VSTs split-routed to those spiders?

The idea is to be able to switch on/off a number of VSTs sitting on multiple buses at the same time, to reduce latency of the whole project, instead of going over each VST, one at a time. Thanks.

modecca

22 Jul 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
21 Jul 2021
Apologies if this is a "newb" question. Is there any way I could create a combinator with, say, some spiders, which would serve as an on/off button to any VSTs split-routed to those spiders?

The idea is to be able to switch on/off a number of VSTs sitting on multiple buses at the same time, to reduce latency of the whole project, instead of going over each VST, one at a time. Thanks.
🔗💥

huggermugger

22 Jul 2021

Assuming you mean the On/Off buttons for the VST, I'm pretty sure you'll find it's impossible. They aren't automatable (VST On/Off isn't an available parameter in either the Combinator or the VST Programmer). Nor do they show the Remote Control or Keyboard Control Override option when right clicked.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 3.11.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 3.11.44 PM.png (119.25 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 22 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

artotaku

22 Jul 2021

huggermugger wrote:
22 Jul 2021
Assuming you mean the On/Off buttons for the VST, I'm pretty sure you'll find it's impossible. They aren't automatable (VST On/Off isn't an available parameter in either the Combinator or the VST Programmer). Nor do they show the Remote Control or Keyboard Control Override option when right clicked.
Since you are mentioning Remote... some fun fact:
I´m not sure if this is with every VST, but e. g. I have the free Valhalla Reverb and if you export the Remote Device Info there is a remotable item called

Remotable Min Max Input type Output type
Proxy Power Button 0 1 - ValueOutput

This is not accessible via Remote Override Mode but if you have a MIDI track for the VST or you assign your MIDI controller directly to the VST you should be able to switch the button on/off with MIDI controller via Remote Map.
This does not solve OP´s problem though.

EdwardKiy

22 Jul 2021

modecca wrote:
22 Jul 2021
IT WORKED! Thanks a bunch, man! Set the CV target to "Enabled", and the values must be from 1 to 2 (has to be bypassed, not "off", because then you'll lose all the sound if the VST is a part of a mastering chain). Everything else I've done exactly as you showed.

CVTarget.JPG
CVTarget.JPG (107.23 KiB) Viewed 357 times

Unfortunately some devices still hog up a lot of DSP/latency when bypassed, but I'll just get rid of those particular stinkers and use something else.

• Information