Scenic Hybrid on Mac Mini M1 - nothing but noise

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jmcreative

20 Jul 2021

Anyone else on an M1 Mac Mini having this problem?
I load the instrument and get nothing but static/glitchy sounds - no matter what patch.
I played with the buffer settings, delete and re-installed the device....
is this an issue with the processor?

I'm stumped, thanks for any help!

WaxTrax

20 Jul 2021

M1 Macbook Air, R12 beta, not experiencing any issues here. I tried a bunch of different/extreme audio device (built-in) settings, and had nothing but smooth playback.

jmcreative

20 Jul 2021

WaxTrax wrote:
20 Jul 2021
M1 Macbook Air, R12 beta, not experiencing any issues here. I tried a bunch of different/extreme audio device (built-in) settings, and had nothing but smooth playback.
Thanks for your reply. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on!
Every other instrument is working fine. I'm new to this forum - any suggestions as to who to ask?

jam-s

20 Jul 2021

Have you already tried to delete scenic and then to re-download it?

fieldframe
RE Developer

20 Jul 2021

If you try something like Klang or Humana, do those work? That should at least rule out any issue with RE sample playback.

jmcreative

22 Jul 2021

thx to all again for your comments - I did re-install it, and then played with buffer and rendering settings. I still get crazy noise sometimes, but can get one device to work if I crank up the buffer size and reduce the sample rate to 96000. It's weird and unpredictable!

jam-s

22 Jul 2021

jmcreative wrote:
22 Jul 2021
I still get crazy noise sometimes, but can get one device to work if I crank up the buffer size and reduce the sample rate to 96000.
Using high sample rates puts very much stress on the CPU. I guess your system is just not fast enough to run without buffer underruns on that high sample rates. Try to lower it to 48000 or 44100 and see if it helps.

This video should give you some idea on why this could be the problem:

Edit: Of course it might also just be a bug in scenic that it does not work with sample rates higher than 48000 (on mac). Have you tried contacting Reason Studios support and supplied a stripped down Version of your project which exhibits the problem along with a detailed rundown of your Reason settings?

miscend

25 Jul 2021

jmcreative wrote:
22 Jul 2021
thx to all again for your comments - I did re-install it, and then played with buffer and rendering settings. I still get crazy noise sometimes, but can get one device to work if I crank up the buffer size and reduce the sample rate to 96000. It's weird and unpredictable!
I believe Reason is using Rosetta to run on the M1 and that will have a performance penalty. I would use a lower the sample rate until a universal binary version of Reason is available.

• Information