@#$#$^%!! I'm on Reason+. Clock is ticking and I didn't sign up! Or did I? :(

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

20 Jul 2021

So, there was recently a 3 month for 3 dollar deal at Reason Studios for the Reason+ subscription if you used the code “333”.

Early on the 15th of July, I put in the 333 code after clicking the “Have a coupon code?” - which was just above the “SIGN UP NOW” link.

I did not use the SIGN UP NOW link.

After putting in the 333 code, nothing came from that - the offer was only good until the 14th. And that’s all I have ever done.

Now I see that I have a “subscription” which expires in two days 2021-07-22 (one week after my 15th of July attempt).

So looks like Reason Studios gave me a one week trial sub - AND ALL I DID WAS ENTER 333! I never signed up for anything! :(

I have not used anything, I don’t even have “Companion” downloaded (which I think you need to run the subscription).

I DON'T THINK I SHOULD HAVE A ONE WEEK SUBSCRIPTION JUST FOR ENTERING 333.

I guess I have to cancel my unused “sub”. What to click next? The whole process seems messed up.

jamespember
Reason Studios

20 Jul 2021

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jul 2021
So, there was recently a 3 month for 3 dollar deal at Reason Studios for the Reason+ subscription if you used the code “333”.

Early on the 15th of July, I put in the 333 code after clicking the “Have a coupon code?” - which was just above the “SIGN UP NOW” link.

I did not use the SIGN UP NOW link.

After putting in the 333 code, nothing came from that - the offer was only good until the 14th. And that’s all I have ever done.

Now I see that I have a “subscription” which expires in two days 2021-07-22 (one week after my 15th of July attempt).

So looks like Reason Studios gave me a one week trial sub - AND ALL I DID WAS ENTER 333! I never signed up for anything! :(

I have not used anything, I don’t even have “Companion” downloaded (which I think you need to run the subscription).

I DON'T THINK I SHOULD HAVE A ONE WEEK SUBSCRIPTION JUST FOR ENTERING 333.

I guess I have to cancel my unused “sub”. What to click next? The whole process seems messed up.
Sorry to hear you had an issue with this.

I've tried to re-create your scenario - i.e. sitting on the sign up page, entered the coupon (which is invalid) - should look like this?
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 18.29.08.png
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 18.29.08.png (177.47 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
I cannot for the life of me understand how you got a trial started if you didn't submit the form by pressing the Sign Up Now button? I can take a look into that for you.

If you'd like to "save" your trial for another time, DM me your Reason account username and I can reset it for you. And if you'd like to take advantage of the 333 deal, DM me and I'll see if I can't sort you out :)

joeyluck

20 Jul 2021

Well it sounds like he attempted to use the code, then hit "sign up now", the code was expired, but the trial started?

Sounds like there needs to be a step where if a code is invalid or expired, that it prompts you before sending you to the next page and activating your trial? Or is that how it should work?

stratatonic

20 Jul 2021

jamespember wrote:
20 Jul 2021

I cannot for the life of me understand how you got a trial started if you didn't submit the form by pressing the Sign Up Now button? I can take a look into that for you.

If you'd like to "save" your trial for another time, DM me your Reason account username and I can reset it for you. And if you'd like to take advantage of the 333 deal, DM me and I'll see if I can't sort you out :)
Ok, to reset and "save" the trial for another time. DM sent.
joeyluck wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Well it sounds like he attempted to use the code, then hit "sign up now"
I did not click the sign up button.

jamespember
Reason Studios

20 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Well it sounds like he attempted to use the code, then hit "sign up now", the code was expired, but the trial started?

Sounds like there needs to be a step where if a code is invalid or expired, that it prompts you before sending you to the next page and activating your trial? Or is that how it should work?
Right. That is indeed how it could've happened. In my screenshot above, you see the little "x" in the coupon field, indicating it is invalid, but perhaps that is not clear enough - and we should prompt the user with more information before proceeding. Good feedback.

joeyluck

20 Jul 2021

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jul 2021
jamespember wrote:
20 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Well it sounds like he attempted to use the code, then hit "sign up now"
Well that's what I might've done. Just glancing at the button as a way to submit my coupon code more than reading it as a button to "sign up".

DaveyG

20 Jul 2021

Except he says that he did not hit the sign-up button. Is it possible that hitting ENTER after typing the coupon code automatically clicks the default button, in this case the sign-up button, and submits the form?

However it happened, maybe there should be a confirmation page or dialog that confirms how much you are about to spend (or not, if it is free) and prompts you to say Accept or Cancel.

stratatonic

20 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
20 Jul 2021
stratatonic wrote:
20 Jul 2021

Well that's what I might've done. Just glancing at the button as a way to submit my coupon code more than reading it as a button to "sign up".
I feel like I'm in an alternate universe here Joey. I said I didn't click the sign up button.
DaveyG wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Except he says that he did not hit the sign-up button. Is it possible that hitting ENTER after typing the coupon code automatically clicks the default button, in this case the sign-up button, and submits the form?

However it happened, maybe there should be a confirmation page or dialog that confirms how much you are about to spend (or not, if it is free) and prompts you to say Accept or Cancel.
Hitting Enter to submit the code is something that I would do. And probably did. Maybe that set off the trial?

fullforce

20 Jul 2021

stratatonic wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Hitting Enter to submit the code is something that I would do. And probably did. Maybe that set off the trial?
Sounds plausible. Depending on the behaviour of the page that might have set off the button.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

joeyluck

20 Jul 2021

DaveyG wrote:
20 Jul 2021

Sorry, I'm not trying to say anybody did anything they say they didn't do lol. I'm just saying what I see and what I might've done when looking at the page...paired with going off of the topic title of uncertainty of "...or did I?"

And great point. Sounds like hitting 'enter' might be the better guess.

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2021

I know this is kinda different but I had something like this happen to me years ago, when the trials were limited to 30 days. A new version came out and went to the Props website, I just happened to be logged in, and when clicking on the banner ad for the new version - expecting to merely read more about it - that instantly activated the trial on my account. But like in this case, I wasn't even aware of this until I got an email saying "How are you enjoying your trial?" And I was like ... what? What trial?

scotward57

22 Jul 2021

That's basically what happened to me. Disappointed by such a shady tactic, something that would have never been allowed during the Ernst Era.

jamespember
Reason Studios

22 Jul 2021

scotward57 wrote:
22 Jul 2021
That's basically what happened to me. Disappointed by such a shady tactic, something that would have never been allowed during the Ernst Era.
I normally don't like to get defensive on this forum, but in this case I feel I must provide some context around this topic of shady tactics.

I can assure you, these sorts of issues are not a tactic. We plan to revamp the sign up flows and account pages after the summer based on all the feedback we've gotten from the community since launch. When we built the sign up flows for R+, we wanted to have them be as friction-free as possible. Less form fields, less clicks, less prompts etc. The idea not being to be shady or trick anyone, but to create a user experience inline with other "best in class" services.

Given users have to manually take the action of adding a credit card to subscribe, we have absolutely nothing to gain from tricking users into trials they don't want.

For the most part, we think we've done a good job (it's pretty fast to sign up for Reason+), but clearly there are edge cases here and there where things are a little unclear or "go too fast", especially for existing accounts. We've been carefully monitoring things, noting down all the issues and plan to squash them in an upcoming project.

Please keep all the feedback coming!!!

Heigen5

22 Jul 2021

How about if the coupon code (333 in this case) never couldn't take more than the code is suppose to? 3$ in this case.

DaveyG

22 Jul 2021

Unfortunately James is no longer available to answer any further questions. He was last seen getting into his shiny new car to drive to his shiny new mansion and was muttering something like "Now I haves all yours moneys, suckers. Muahahahaha!"

Other versions of this story are available.

zero01101

22 Jul 2021

jamespember wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Right. That is indeed how it could've happened. In my screenshot above, you see the little "x" in the coupon field, indicating it is invalid, but perhaps that is not clear enough - and we should prompt the user with more information before proceeding. Good feedback.
yeah, as a user i'd assume that "x" is an inline button to clear the field; it looks nothing like an input validation error. changing it to an error icon, perhaps a red circled "!", and adding error text beneath the field would go miles towards solving that UX issue quickly.

jamespember
Reason Studios

24 Jul 2021

zero01101 wrote:
22 Jul 2021
jamespember wrote:
20 Jul 2021
yeah, as a user i'd assume that "x" is an inline button to clear the field; it looks nothing like an input validation error. changing it to an error icon, perhaps a red circled "!", and adding error text beneath the field would go miles towards solving that UX issue quickly.
Yup, agree. We'll do something similar to this for sure.

• Information