Algoritm is released!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Rappelled Hero

15 Mar 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
14 Mar 2021
Getting some weird graphical glitches in the browser, some Unknown Exception errors and some other popups and a crash, in a project containing only many instances of Algorithm.
It's Reason 10.4 and Win 10.
Haven't contacted support yet as I wanna figure out the exact circumstances when this occurs first.
Would be interested to know if this issue is replicable in Reason 11.

There seems to be some differences beyond just a few feature additions, but at an actual code architecture level, between Reason 10 and Reason 11; as 11 seems to have introduced quite a few regressive bugs that weren't in 10 (a number of which were fixed in the latest 11.3.9 update). It could be that as a result, Algoritm plays well in 11 but not in 10. Reason Studios may not even be testing their newer REs in 10 any more, even though it does technically load them OK.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2021

Rappelled Hero wrote:
15 Mar 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
14 Mar 2021
Getting some weird graphical glitches in the browser, some Unknown Exception errors and some other popups and a crash, in a project containing only many instances of Algorithm.
It's Reason 10.4 and Win 10.
Haven't contacted support yet as I wanna figure out the exact circumstances when this occurs first.

There seems to be some differences beyond just a few feature additions, but at an actual code architecture level, between Reason 10 and Reason 11; as 11 seems to have introduced quite a few regressive bugs that weren't in 10 (a number of which were fixed in the latest 11.3.9 update). It could be that as a result, Algoritm plays well in 11 but not in 10. Reason Studios may not even be testing their newer REs in 10 any more, even though it does technically load them OK.
I had the same issue as zoidkirb, but it was fixed with the latest update for me

zoidkirb

15 Mar 2021

Good to hear that there's a fix for 11, as I'll probably get on R12 eventually.

It's a weird scary bug I've never seen in Reason before, where graphics disappear from the browser and sequencer, and error Windows keep popping up.
I've also noticed when I have a bunch of Algorithms open and scroll through the rack, there's a lot of re-draw happening with the modules in each instance of Algorithm.

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Still loving it.

It will be the first synth I have bought in a very long time - hats off to Props. <3
Agree, it can make some weird drum sounds, long tails, really nice for techno dub... I just need to bounce it because this thing in poly and delays don't go well together !! :lol:

taipeiwalkerhk

20 Mar 2021

sorry guys, maybe a little bit off-topic. How do I know the remaining days of the trial of Algo?

Noise
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2021

taipeiwalkerhk wrote:
20 Mar 2021
sorry guys, maybe a little bit off-topic. How do I know the remaining days of the trial of Algo?
@ Reasonstudios.com :
My Account > My Products > Rack Extension Tab.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

mjxl

28 Mar 2021

Random patch :)

Algoritm is a lot of fun to play with!
Attachments
Algoritm - RandomThingy.zip
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

DJMaytag

31 Mar 2021

Late to the game on this (have been busy doing DAW-less music lately), but DAMN this thing sounds good! Well worth the $10/mo on rent to own!

taipeiwalkerhk

01 Apr 2021

I am not too familiar with the release cycle of RS's RE products. Will there be any significant features update at least a year?
I am too worry that when buying Algo (99.99 % will buy). It will stay as is or just have some bug fixing without any feature enhancement like the main stream VSTs. Anyone can share your thoughts, please?

RoryM0

01 Apr 2021

taipeiwalkerhk wrote:
01 Apr 2021
I am not too familiar with the release cycle of RS's RE products. Will there be any significant features update at least a year?
I am too worry that when buying Algo (99.99 % will buy). It will stay as is or just have some bug fixing without any feature enhancement like the main stream VSTs. Anyone can share your thoughts, please?
It's fairly rare that RS do major feature updates to their devices. Parsec might be the most glaring exception. Also bug fixes are few and far between. I'd imagine a year from now Algoritm will be exactly the same as it is now.

svenh

07 May 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
28 Feb 2021
How long do you think we will have to wait before it goes on sale........
November 2021 at the earliest, I'd wager. They won't put it on sale for May Madness - that's barely 3 months away. I can't recall anytime in the past they launched an RE at full price and then put it on sale that soon.
Excuse my ignorance, does reasonstudios (and formerly Propellerhead) have a sale in may every year? If yes, what date of the month does it start?

orthodox
RE Developer

07 May 2021

svenh wrote:
07 May 2021
Excuse my ignorance, does reasonstudios (and formerly Propellerhead) have a sale in may every year? If yes, what date of the month does it start?
AFAICR, it's the last two weeks of May.

svenh

07 May 2021

orthodox wrote:
07 May 2021
svenh wrote:
07 May 2021
AFAICR, it's the last two weeks of May.
OK, thanks for your reply, I will keep an eye open for this since the announced GUI in the works has revitalized my interest in Reason!

wikholm

30 May 2021

Like strange_scenery, I just had to try that routing on the last page of the Algoritm manual. To me, the image appeared to depict everything being routed everywhere, which, to me, seems like a logical thing to test at some point during development, to make sure the device doesn't crash or uses excessive amounts of CPU. And yes, after trying that, I got a routing section looking, as far as I can tell, just like the image in the manual.
Everything Everywhere.png
Everything Everywhere.png (19.58 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
Then what? Well, beyond the routing, the image just tells us which type of module goes where and which of them are outputs, but nothing about any individual settings, so I decided to just leave all the settings at their default values. While the resulting sound was mostly white noise, it actually has a hint of tonality in the attack phase, especially in the lower notes. Maybe it would, by tweaking the settings, be possible, to get something actually useful out it.

I'm leaving that to anyone who might be interested, so I included my patch as a starting point. As repatch isn't a file type recognised by the forum, I made a zip file out of it. Just to be clear, I do not claim any kind of ownership of the file. Beyond it being a tad tedious to draw 81 connections, this is something any so inclined Algoritm user could trivially reproduce. Have fun.
Attachments
A rich and full sound.zip
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

PhillipOrdonez

03 Jun 2021

Today I learned that Ess (digitone / fors) made some of the presets for algoritm.

selig
RE Developer

03 Jun 2021

deeplink wrote:
14 Mar 2021
I must say the stepped Filter automation lane is quite frustrating.
The only work around I have for smoothing out the automation is to use something else as CV (like Thor's Rotary 1), and then automate that.
Yea, super frustrating but a consequence of the ability to switch modules. If you switch to an FM Operator or Oscillator & Noise module you'll see there is a stepped "FREQ" parameter that uses exactly the same modulation data/path as the Filter. And any stepped parameter MUST have stepped automation data as per the SDK.
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

03 Jun 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Today I learned that Ess (digitone / fors) made some of the presets for algoritm.
Today I learned that Phillip learned that Ess (digitone / fors) made some of the presets for algoritm.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

PhillipOrdonez

04 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
03 Jun 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Jun 2021
Today I learned that Phillip learned that Ess (digitone / fors) made some of the presets for algoritm.
Today I learned that Challism has a sense of humour?

Billy+

07 Jun 2021

I'm loving Algorithm, got it during the sale and it's got some real nice sounds going on.....

ShelLuser

24 Jun 2021

Well... it's official (for me at least): you guys haven't lost your touch, not at all.

Ever since Algorithm got released I was quite sceptical because... who needs yet another FM synth? I mean.. not only do I have Thor & Europe, but stuff like the PX7 FM (I know that's not fully comparable) and Complex can do its share of FM synthesis as well. Besides... when I need more I can always turn to U-HE's Zebra2 which is quite a powerhouse within this field. So yah... heck, I also got Friktion when it came out and although it's definitely a very good synth I also wasn't that much impressed with it because of some other synths which I own that are also focussed on "stringed sounds".

Aaanyway... because I have a little time to waste this weekend (and because I was still curious) I figured I'd demo Algorithm to confirm my suspicions that this was just another FM synth with a routing matrix. Probably fun enough but surely not that much of a big deal, right?

Well... about that.... :geek:

First I played around and was definitely impressed with some of the presets. Then I reset the device and started playing, this was definitely fun. I soon realized that although I don't think Algorithm can match the extensiveness of, say, Zebra or Hive for that matter (no offense) it was also fair to say it definitely comes close. But more importantly (for me at least): it's most definitely a lot more accessible. Patches are easier to make, routing schemes are easier to set up and it's definitely something else...

Then I added some randomness and that got me some interesting effects. I then decided to use Live's randomizer to mess with the MIDI input as well then I figured I'd try to see what the pattern mutator could do for me. This was soon enhanced with BeatMap, some manual gate output and map output patching (with CV inputs & the routing matrix) and before I knew I had purchased Algorithm :twisted:

Very impressive and a really interesting instrument for sure! Took me a while but eh ;)
--- :reason:

epoch

12 Jul 2021

aeox wrote:
15 Mar 2021
Rappelled Hero wrote:
15 Mar 2021

I had the same issue as zoidkirb, but it was fixed with the latest update for me
Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Did you mean the latest update of Algoritm or the latest update of Reason 11 fixed your issues with errors in a project with lots of Algoritm instances?

Or put another way, does anyone know if running lots of Algoritms inside Reason 10.4 definitely causes issues?

kbard

20 Jul 2021

Hi there. At the moment I am trailing Algoritm and ES400.

Because I don't want or need two FM synths I decided to trial two and the idea behind that was to select or pick one....well...kind of..

ES400 is great in a way it's immediate and fast to work with but I am finding it hard to stare at the small screen. On top of that ES400 ships with some cool presets which are (for me) better than those in Algoritm.
But Algorithms are so much more powerful and fun to play with. I mean even I was able to get some weird fun tones from it and I am not that much of an expert at all. The thing with Algoritm is while it's complex it is much more fun (for me) to work and experiment with.

That being said, I have some doubts and am gonna ask here for some cool opinions.

1. How and can I get exponential EG curves on Algoritm? ES400 when you flip backside you can choose between linear (which is presumably same as in Algoritm) and Exponential. See screenshot attached. I am finding Exponential curves can shape some of the sound very nicely. Is it possible to get that in Algoritm?

2. Do you think (when FX are disabled) that Algoritm can cover and recreate everything ES400 can?3. Do I understand this correctly. Basically all "algorithm" routings from ES400 can freely be recreated inside Algoritm? Screenshot attached. I am scratching my head about algorithm 6. Does it mean operator 4 is connected to itself?

3. I am attaching a patch from ES400 (zip file). Can anyone help me out by recreating it in Algoritm?

What I am finding hard is even when I start from the very beginning I can not get the same sound of operator 1 in Algoritm because on the backside of ES400 as you can see I am using "almost" exponential EG. Meaning curve knob between linear and exponential is not fully right (not 100%). So even Operator 1 in Algoritm never sounds the same as OP1 in ES400 - let alone other operators...
Attachments
ES400-Pluck.zip
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
eg.jpg
eg.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
algorithms.jpg
algorithms.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

Loque

20 Jul 2021

kbard wrote:
20 Jul 2021
1. How and can I get exponential EG curves on Algoritm? ES400 when you flip backside you can choose between linear (which is presumably same as in Algoritm) and Exponential. See screenshot attached. I am finding Exponential curves can shape some of the sound very nicely. Is it possible to get that in Algoritm?
Algoritm has free curves which can be used as Envelops via Mod Matrix.

kbard wrote:
20 Jul 2021
2. Do you think (when FX are disabled) that Algoritm can cover and recreate everything ES400 can?3. Do I understand this correctly. Basically all "algorithm" routings from ES400 can freely be recreated inside Algoritm? Screenshot attached. I am scratching my head about algorithm 6. Does it mean operator 4 is connected to itself?
Yea, you could get at least very close.
Yes.
Its a feedback loop. Root a oscillator in Algoritm to itself and you are done.

kbard wrote:
20 Jul 2021
3. I am attaching a patch from ES400 (zip file). Can anyone help me out by recreating it in Algoritm?
I will have a look...
Reason12, Win10

kbard

20 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
20 Jul 2021

I will have a look...
Thank you! I am interested in using what you said, free curves. I need to look into that.

I got fairly close today but no cigar. If you find some time let me know. I am going to say thanks in advance.

Regards

Loque

20 Jul 2021

kbard wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Loque wrote:
20 Jul 2021

I will have a look...
Thank you! I am interested in using what you said, free curves. I need to look into that.

I got fairly close today but no cigar. If you find some time let me know. I am going to say thanks in advance.

Regards
I just had a look into your patch. You can quite close, but exactly matching is pretty hard since you nipulate the sounds all over the place with scaling, rate manipulation and an LFO. Also ES400 uses some Amp, which is difficult to match.

While trying to reproduce, the most obvious were the Envelopes, which are much tighter in ES400 with the right settings. This can be achieved with the Mod Matrix and the free curves, but you still wont get nearly 100%. Again, the basic sound can be done, all the details is not possible to 100%.
Reason12, Win10

• Information