High resolution Reason is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
helmutson

17 Jul 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
17 Jul 2021
helmutson wrote:
17 Jul 2021
... something occurs to me ... Snowcrash from Neal Stephenson ... it is a Virus :shock:
Have you read Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age: A young ladies illustrated primer?

Love that book ;-)

........ sorry to get off topic!! :?
No I didn't , but now I will ... thanx :thumbs_up:

Very OT : Our beloved software is named after the weapon in Snowcrash, called Reason ... just for the case you don't know it ... the Propellerheads from the old days loved that book too and explained it in a interview or so, many many years ago ... ;)

dannyF

17 Jul 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
17 Jul 2021
All I'm really wondering here is: If I would get Reason 12 (in it's current state, let's assume it doesn't get better than this) .......
I am betting performance will be degraded to some degree.

To what degree is the question.

Still rocking Reason 10 here. Super fast and stable.

From what I've seen from Reason Studeos I want nothing to do with em. They come off as if they have no idea what they are doing.... management seems like they came fresh out of uni with all their new 'great' ideas and marketing....pushing the programming team into stupid and waste of time projects. The marketing team even altered the branding in a bad way ( was not an improvement ) which from my perspective alienated long time users.

To be fair this started before they were sold and went public.... I saw the writing on the wall when they diverted resources into lame projects like Alihoopa and IOS apps. Looks like they are continuing in the watering down of correct focus with Reason+.

Reason 10 was the last product from Propellerhead and I will go to my grave with it ( it looks like ). I love this product.... but not the new direction of this company that has decided that prePubes are more important than long time users.

I feel personally injured by the way they have mishandled Reason.

As I mentioned I've had it with them. Just bought Cubase 11 upgrade so I can actually use folders in the sequencer.

Maybe, Maybe I will upgrade to Reason 12 or beyond for a plugin. I doubt very much they will ever get serious.
Last edited by dannyF on 17 Jul 2021, edited 4 times in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2021

avasopht wrote:
17 Jul 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
17 Jul 2021
So I'm gonna ask some basic questions. If someone can give some simple dumbed down answers it would be much appreciated. I'm sure these questions have already been answered to some extent, but I don't have the willpower to plow through the entire thread.

All I'm really wondering here is: If I would get Reason 12 (in it's current state, let's assume it doesn't get better than this) and I only use the normal 100% scaling. Would this Hi Res thing slow Reason down at all? Basically if we ignore the visual changes, will the Hi Res affect anything else in Reason? Would already computer heavy projects be even heavier on the computer, so that shit is more likely to start stutter and stuff? Also are loading times for songs, instruments, effects longer in R12 compared to R11?

I know that all devices has to load properly the first time with this upgrade. Is this only for that particular project/reason file or will it be fixed forever for every future project as well? It's not unusual that I switch between different projects. Would every device have to be adjusted again for every new song I make?

Honestly I'm mostly longing for the new sampler and that's the main reason I want to upgrade. Better graphics is cool and all, but if this Hi Res stuff change my Reason experience for the worse in any way, I'm not sure it's worth it.
The current state is not worth asking about because they are bound to fix/improve the current situation.

So we have no idea whether how the GUI overhaul will perform in the September release of R12.

Presently it seems to increase CPU a bit, but that might just be while it's creating assets for the current zoom level. This might also be done by the GPU in the final version (making it way faster).
Thanks. Yeah I guess we'll see what happens. Maybe it's too early to ask these questions.

It's just that with Reason Studios you can't assume anything imo. Sometimes they leave things rather unfinished (or at least don't go all the way), for example VST implementation, themes, automation curves, Reason Compact, reward system etc. So personally I don't assume anything anymore with RS. Sometimes they improve things they start, sometimes they half ass it and leave it there. I go by what's ACTUALLY there, not what "might" or "should" come.
It seems to me RS rack devices are typically very well developed and "finished", but their DAW or Shop improvements or business decisions doesn't always go as smoothly at times.
Sometimes RS do some really cool things, like Algoritm, Beatmap, Pattern Mutator. Other times they make pretty terrible decisions as a company. They can be very unpredictable.

helmutson

17 Jul 2021

:shock: my post is gone ... wtf :lol:

EnochLight

17 Jul 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 Jul 2021
Sure, different people's mileage may vary, and even I'd be cautious to suggest I know a lot more than most ;), so it's fine you disagree but since you're defending it as at least acceptable, consider this:

If a TrueType font scaled like that in any other program, e.g. Word, I'm sure you would say Microsoft had fucked up the text handling. So why is it acceptable in a program that costs hundreds of dollars for us to purchase or rent? I've already paid for my R12 upgrade license. This is a product I have paid for. WIth actual money. I expect a minimum level of professionalism for a company who regularly claims to have excellent coders.

But you're a Test Pilot, so you get this stuff for free, so it has no financial impact to you. Personally I wouldn't expect a font to render incorrectly like that in a bit of open source Freeware, but certainly not a program that sells itself as a professional music creation solution.

Scaling fonts was a problem well solved by the early 90s, and Reason ships with standard TrueType fonts. There is no excuse for them rendering like that, and at no point in the last 12 years have RE devs been told their system texts would look blurry in HD, to my knowledge. So Reason Studio rely on public comments like yours to give them a free pass, to undermine genuine criticism.

You defend the indefensible enough times to enough people, and you make the indefensible into something acceptable, so nothing improves. RS haven't fixed issues left over from R10 yet (zooming to the correct track in the sequencer, for example). Because people give them a free pass, when it's just half-arsed, that it's "Work in progress!" and "they'll fix it later!"

You can see they don't.
First things first: if you don't think I have poured a metric shit ton of my own hard earned money into purchasing Reason licenses in the past and a plethora of Rack Extensions to have a valid opinion, you're smoking crack, Matt.

Now with that out of the way, I never said it couldn't be improved - I admitted as much that it is obviously not as crisp as it is in 11, scaled. No one is giving them a free pass - and if you think Test Pilots aren't giving them shit as well from both directions, then you really don't have a clue. Me calling you out on your hyperbolic claim that NNXT's display is a Vaseline-cataract-fest is not "defending the indefensible". It's calling you out on hyperbole.
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jul 2021
Enoch, you seriously need to learn what hyperbole is! :puf_smile:
You've pretty much mastered that, Matt. :puf_smile:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

17 Jul 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
16 Jul 2021

There’s no functional [value] of the splash screen for the user.
Sadly it's depressing people are getting hung up on the bloody startup splash screen as that's the least of its troubles. But if you can't beat 'em... :lol:

Whether one chooses to enable a splash screen—where such an option is available—or not, to state it has no function to the user I'm sorry to tell you, is simply not true: you may just not realise how much you do actually rely on it in some situations.

The splash is an indicator to the user that a program is active and loading, and that you've not misclicked. This can be particularly useful in programs that take a long time to initialise, such as Reason, or Windows itself, which has a full-screen splash after POST, or a large (read: bloated) app that takes a while to initialise, like Photoshop, that shows the modules it's loading, or even games, for example, again, often full-screen splashes where they give the user an indication of how long they can expect the loading process to take. I bet you uses splashes way more than you think you do.
I’m sure you’re aware by functional, I mean interactive use; such as with the mixer and devices in the rack. Not background processes that we don’t pay much attention to. I’m aware of the purpose of the splash screen.

ProfessaKaos

18 Jul 2021

So does this Hi Res update utilize the systems GPU taking load off the CPU?
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

EnochLight

18 Jul 2021

ProfessaKaos wrote:
18 Jul 2021
Yes.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ProfessaKaos

18 Jul 2021

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jul 2021
ProfessaKaos wrote:
18 Jul 2021
Yes.
Sweet, thanks.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

StephenHutchinson

18 Jul 2021

EnochLight wrote:
15 Jul 2021
fullforce wrote:
15 Jul 2021
It should be freaking realtime zoom! How hard can it be! This is a freaking kludge job!
Unrelated, but I just realized you're phasys from the old PUF. :lol: Many interesting conversations there. ;)

phasys.jpg
Wow, a true blast from the past!
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

StephenHutchinson

18 Jul 2021

VariableX wrote:
15 Jul 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
15 Jul 2021

Did you remember to go into the Reason+ Companion app and "Upgrade Installed Devices to Hi-Res" under Reason+ Rack Extensions as well as under "Your other licenced Rack Extensions" ?
hey yes i did - thanks tho
No worries :)

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

StephenHutchinson

18 Jul 2021

fullforce wrote:
16 Jul 2021
There's not even freaking hotkeys for increasing/decreasing the zoom level.
There is if you are blessed with a Mac...

See the 120% and 100% below in the screenshot. I made the shortcut keys "U" for up "D" for down with the Control + Option + Command keys... sweet eh?

Reason 12 Hotkeys.png
Reason 12 Hotkeys.png (77.36 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts..

Feel free to add the other ones that I've created.. make sure you copy the menu items in Reason 12 exactly as they're written.. i.e. with the capitalization, and dots etc.

StephenHutchinson

18 Jul 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jul 2021
Anyone seen this issue?

Yep, I have Q-FX and what he says is dead on.

littlejam

18 Jul 2021

hello,

can anyone state what the gpu will handle on the new release r12

if i remember correctly, mattias stated that not everything gui will be put to gpu
'only the drawings'

it was somewhere earlier in this thread

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

zabukowski

19 Jul 2021

I am not sure if this was discussed already.

Zoom level is now defined on application level (standalone Reason). It would be really nice, if zoom level could be set separately for mixer, rack and arrange windows. This is a must for multi monitor/resolution setup

For example, i have 2 monitors, one hires and other HD. I usually put rack and arrange window on hires and separated mixer on other monitor.

Or i am missing something?

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2021

zabukowski wrote:
19 Jul 2021
I am not sure if this was discussed already.

Zoom level is now defined on application level (standalone Reason). It would be really nice, if zoom level could be set separately for mixer, rack and arrange windows. This is a must for multi monitor/resolution setup

For example, i have 2 monitors, one hires and other HD. I usually put rack and arrange window on hires and separated mixer on other monitor.

Or i am missing something?
Not missing anything.
But you can still have separate OS scaling for each screen which helps.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

jam-s

19 Jul 2021

No, you're not missing anything. That feature is basically useless for anybody who doesn't use Reason on a single 4k+ screen.

EnochLight

19 Jul 2021

jam-s wrote:
19 Jul 2021
No, you're not missing anything. That feature is basically useless for anybody who doesn't use Reason on a single 4k+ screen.
That’s not true. I use Reason on 1080p displays, and having the application zoomed to 140%-160% is incredibly useful. The rack looks crisp and editing synths is a much more enjoyable experience - nothing like having Europa, Complex-1, or Algorithm “full screen” to edit. :thumbup:

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jul 2021
jam-s wrote:
19 Jul 2021
That’s not true. I use Reason on 1080p displays, and having the application zoomed to 140%-160% is incredibly useful. The rack looks crisp and editing synths is a much more enjoyable experience - nothing like having Europa, Complex-1, or Algorithm “full screen” to edit. :thumbup:
Enoch, I'm curious, what do you do if you want to do something in the mixer or sequencer while you're so zoomed in?
I use 1080p as well, and while I agree the rack is nice zoomed in, I can't work with this zoom setting as I constantly flip to the other two windows which are now basically unusable.

zabukowski

19 Jul 2021

I think I can pretty much live with 120% on both monitors. but really hoping window based zoom will be implemented in the future.

zabukowski

19 Jul 2021

I've been playing with Reason 12 zoom features for a day and i can say it's pretty good IMO.

Obviously, few things still have to be implemented (scaling progress indicator, window based zoom level) and few possible bugs/(performance) isues have to be polished & squashed (increased memory consumption, occasionall slow downs) but nevertheless, zoom feature is very well thought and it's obviously meant to cover app/plugin in a complete way. Having in mind some other hires implementations i've seen so far from misc. companies and considering the complexity of such a development task, current implementation is clearly showing that R12 will not dissapoint.

C'mon, it's only early release, after all :)

guitfnky

19 Jul 2021

that’s absurd. it’s not early release/early access no matter what they want us to call it. they released it into a production environment without giving a separate install so people could keep using the actual stable version.

an early access version would be 0.99 or lower (or on a separate channel). R+ is on <checks notes> 12.xx…. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

19 Jul 2021

Arrant wrote:
19 Jul 2021
EnochLight wrote:
19 Jul 2021

Enoch, I'm curious, what do you do if you want to do something in the mixer or sequencer while you're so zoomed in?
I use 1080p as well, and while I agree the rack is nice zoomed in, I can't work with this zoom setting as I constantly flip to the other two windows which are now basically unusable.
Indeed, YMMV. If I need to do some tweaking in the mixer (which I keep on a seperate monitor), I'll drop it down to 120% or so. I've already got all of the hi-res assets cached, so it's just a matter of selecting the appropriate zoom level that I want, when I want it. :thumbup:

zabukowski

19 Jul 2021

I am R11 Suite owner, so i have an alternative.

After i've tried R12, i really doubt i will go back because of these issues (which i am sure will be fixed very soon). For me there are no real showstoppers in R12. But that's just me :)

guitfnky

19 Jul 2021

exactly my point. no showstoppers for you doesn’t mean there aren’t showstoppers for others. it’s clearly not in a great state right now, even if some of the issues can be overlooked by many users. it just seems a bit cheap for RS to push this out to users on the only production channel there is for R+ and call it “early access”. tacit acknowledgment that even the feature they’ve introduced isn’t fully ready yet—even as they charge people for it.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information