Anyone else trying to lose weight?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Heater

19 Jul 2021

Lockdown has been good to me and I've got the belly to prove it so last Xmas I decided to lose some weight.
It's not been easy. Lot's of ups and downs and going backwards but I'm slowly making progress.

Anyone else in the same boat?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2021

Lost 20kg. Now down to 80kg

Stopped eating crisps late at night and started running 10km every day.

Easy peasy.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heater

19 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
19 Jul 2021

Easy peasy.
Well done. You've done better then I have. I've lost 13Kg. Still some way to go even if I'm the health BMI range.
I used to run a lot. I keep thinking about starting it up again.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2021

Heater wrote:
19 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 Jul 2021

Easy peasy.
Well done. You've done better then I have. I've lost 13Kg. Still some way to go even if I'm the health BMI range.
I used to run a lot. I keep thinking about starting it up again.
Biggest benefit for me with running is that it takes away any depression I have. Also helps work through the days events and happenings in my brain. After 3 or 4 km your brain goes into the same state as when lying in a floatation tank.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jul 2021

Eating smaller portions and switching carbs for vegetables worked for me.

dvdrtldg

19 Jul 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2021
No carbs after 3.00 pm and no refined sugar AT ALL really gets you a long way. The sugar thing starts out difficult, but gets surprisingly easy surprisingly fast. In addition to losing weight, you sleep much better. Sugar is satan

Heater

19 Jul 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
19 Jul 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2021
No carbs after 3.00 pm and no refined sugar AT ALL really gets you a long way. The sugar thing starts out difficult, but gets surprisingly easy surprisingly fast. In addition to losing weight, you sleep much better. Sugar is satan
Yeah. I’ve cut out all processed sugar. Sugar does horrible things to your body.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jul 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
19 Jul 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Ah yeah I had forgotten about the sugar. Cut that. I forget that people normally eat sugar. 😂 I've had hypoglycemia since my early teens therefore I generally avoid it by default.

fullforce

19 Jul 2021

Heater wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Lockdown has been good to me and I've got the belly to prove it so last Xmas I decided to lose some weight.
It's not been easy. Lot's of ups and downs and going backwards but I'm slowly making progress.

Anyone else in the same boat?
I've been changing my diet for the last 3 years, with ups and downs. 8 months ago I started doing Electronical Muscle Stimulation training (EMS) and I've lost 12 kilograms and 10% belly fat. I can highly recommend it.

About the diet, almost no bread, pasta, rice. More veggies and meat, and now I'm eating fruit during the day, grapefruit and/or bananas. And no sodas, no cola. I do like to drink wine and I'm still doing that, if I had stopped that too I would probably have lost over 20kg by now, but hey, gotta have something left right? :D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

19 Jul 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Yep, smaller portions also, forgot about that. Not easy in the beginning but after you get used to it, it's perfect.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

chimp_spanner

02 Aug 2021

Yeah, I mean it’s definitely going down. Which is good. I was getting up towards 16st. I’m now 14.10 (well, last time I weight myself - I *should* have gone down since then). I’m doing the 5/2 fasting thing. So monday and tuesday I have 600 cals. And tbh it doesn’t even feel that weird. But on the 5 days I’m still careful. I don’t have any added sugar in my drinks, no snacks or chocolate, no crisps. I don’t drink (never did). Oh and no meat since october, apart from fish. So I guess I’m…pescatarian?

Anyway I feel pretty good. My biggest issue is still that I live an extremely sedentary life. It’s a wfh desk job, and all my hobbies also involve sitting. Once I’ve moved house I’ll be near a friend who’s offered to be my gym buddy. Activity is really the missing piece of the puzzle now. My diet is as good as it’s gonna get, without being SUPER obsessive over it. Now I just have to like…move a bit.

dannyF

02 Aug 2021

few years ago I fasted from 220 to 168. Basically doing a 24 hour fast once a week plus limiting food to roughly 1000 calories a day. I lost that in about 4-5 months. But never really excercised.

Then I joined a gym put weight back on to 190 then managed to get up to 200 then 210-220 again.

This time I have done a combination of airbike cardio ( 45-60m 5x week ), + walking, eating less.... am at a steady 178 but I swear I look more in shape than when I was 168. Probably due to the excercise on the airbike. God, I do love that thing. Works the whole body ( great on the core ) and is low impact. Not seen a lean-ness like this on me since I was 17.

I don't like to do too much running as I feel as one gets older its an invitation for injury. I seem to develop strange recurring pains when I run too much. That being said if I can remain uninjured love to play sports like ball hockey.

I have noticed that it doesn't really matter what foods you omit or include. What matters more is the total calories overall from day to day. Sure, don't overeat sugar.... and best to avoid it since most people are addicted to it and don't even know it. Everything in balance. But I often eat a spoonful of blackstrap molasses since its LOADED with nutrients. also take honey in tea 1-3 times a day. I also eat bread and sandwhiches.

I think the anti-carb thing is overblown.....STRESS and its effects on hormones and being sendentary causes way more weight gain imo.

What I would speak strongly against are sweet drinks with no protein or fat. Do not drink your sugar. it gets into the body too fast which spikes insulin levels leading to more fat gain...... That is why SODA/fruit juices are such a killer for health and body weight. IF you must have sweet drink take protein or fat with it slows down absorption....... for lemonade which I love I use fresh squeeze lemons and liquid stevia. On the whole I try to avoid sweet drinks..... cept I love my honey tea ( milk/fat/protein ) reduces the damage.

fullforce

03 Aug 2021

dannyF wrote:
02 Aug 2021
I have noticed that it doesn't really matter what foods you omit or include.
Eh, yes it does. Not everybody gets on an airbike 5 times a week for an hour.

dannyF

03 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
03 Aug 2021
dannyF wrote:
02 Aug 2021
I have noticed that it doesn't really matter what foods you omit or include.
Listen Fatty..... Its more about volume and total calories. For example... one can eat cheesburgers, cheesecake or anything else that is supposedly fattening.

But if they consume less total calories than they need, they will still lose weight.

fullforce

03 Aug 2021

dannyF wrote:
03 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
03 Aug 2021

Listen Fatty..... Its more about volume and total calories. For example... one can eat cheesburgers, cheesecake or anything else that is supposedly fattening.

But if they consume less total calories than they need, they will still lose weight.
Haha, funny man! Reported.

dannyF

03 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Reported? for what..... calling you Fatty is supposed to be motivating!

fullforce

03 Aug 2021

dannyF wrote:
03 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Sure it is.

EnochLight

03 Aug 2021

dannyF wrote:
03 Aug 2021
fullforce wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Just... STOP. Next time it's a ban. Please do not resort to name calling.

Thanks
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dannyF

03 Aug 2021

EnochLight wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Please do not resort to name calling.
ok dingus.

EnochLight

03 Aug 2021

dannyF wrote:
03 Aug 2021
EnochLight wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Please do not resort to name calling.
ok dingus.
Buh bye!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

04 Aug 2021

😂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2021

😂😂😂 👋
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

04 Aug 2021

He'll just come back with a new account and an attitude.

EnochLight

04 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
04 Aug 2021
He'll just come back with a new account and an attitude.
He most certainly will, and just like the many times before - he'll eventually get banned. Again. :lol:

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2021

dannyF wrote:
03 Aug 2021
Listen Friend..... Its more about volume and total calories. For example... one can eat cheesburgers, cheesecake or anything else that is supposedly fattening.

Not quite.

Your body needs micronutrients on a daily basis. If you're getting the "bulk" of your nutrition from nutritionally deficient sources (empty calories), one of two things will happen:
1. You will crave food with much more intensity (and if your body isn't trained on healthy foods, it will crave it from what you know, which could be chocolates, burgers, or chalk)
2. You will suffer from the effects of malnutrition (this could be depression, lack of energy, erectile dysfunction, weak immune system, hair loss, etc.)

Also, foods high in sugar mess with your body (e.g. insulin response), increase your cravings and can reduce the amount of fat you burn. At the same time, nutritionally sparse foods still have to be processed, leaving fewer resources available to consume the nutrients your body needs even if you do eat them.

Paradoxically, fat consumption reduces appetite and increases metabolism.

In moderation, it should be okay, but if eaten on a daily basis, you will notice the hit.

But eating healthy doesn't have to be a chore. A few minor tweaks and a little experimentation can get you healthy food that tastes delicious, is filling, is quick to prepare and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Information