Complex-1 Remote Overrides puzzler

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
loopeydoug

18 Jul 2021

Without looking, take a guess at how many remote override-able controls are available on Complex-1? You won't believe the answer!
Attachments
Complex-1 Remote Overrides.png
Complex-1 Remote Overrides.png (387.67 KiB) Viewed 482 times

rorystorm

18 Jul 2021

All of them. You have to do it by making a remote map.

Also if you want an automation lane you can't right click or act click a control, yiu have to choose it from the drop down in the sequencer.

Complex still rools though

loopeydoug

18 Jul 2021

rorystorm wrote:
18 Jul 2021
All of them. You have to do it by making a remote map.

Also if you want an automation lane you can't right click or act click a control, yiu have to choose it from the drop down in the sequencer.

Complex still rools though
Yes, but the question wasn't "how many controls are mappable or automatable" though. It was "how many controls are override-able", regardless of prior mapping. I do a lot of overriding. One day you need two atypical controls mapped side by side so you can perform a particular control/effect while playing a part in the other hand. You shouldn't be expected to write a new map for this one unique scenario, overwrite your old map, record the part, and then reload the original map again to initialize it. Sure, you could automate it. But then you're drawing(one control element at a time) with the mouse instead of musically performing multiple elements in the moment, which is something I strive to do as much as possible. And yes, you could Combi it, which is the best solution to this particular issue- the issue being the fact that RS either chose to not make 90% of the controls on Complex-1 override-able or just plain forgot. This is an abnormal occurrence.

rorystorm

18 Jul 2021

Yup I know, its annoying!

lowtom

19 Jul 2021

Plenty. :puf_bigsmile:

complex.png
complex.png (486.89 KiB) Viewed 416 times

You can't remote override in most RE's custom screen area which is what those virtual front panel cables are. You need to be in main (non cable) view in Complex-1.
:reason: :refill: :re:

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
18 Jul 2021
Without looking, take a guess at how many remote override-able controls are available on Complex-1? You won't believe the answer!
Um... All/Most of them? I don't understand what the purpose of this post is.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

loopeydoug

19 Jul 2021

lowtom wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Plenty. :puf_bigsmile:

complex.png

You can't remote override in most RE's custom screen area which is what those virtual front panel cables are. You need to be in main (non cable) view in Complex-1.
Aha. Thank you so much, lowtom! I never would've thought that switching 'show cables' on/off would change accessibility to those controls. Also, what do you mean when you say 'custom screen area'? Can you give another example?

lowtom

19 Jul 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
19 Jul 2021

Aha. Thank you so much, lowtom! I never would've thought that switching 'show cables' on/off would change accessibility to those controls. Also, what do you mean when you say 'custom screen area'? Can you give another example?
From my understanding, there are several RE's (in example ABL3) that use custom area technique to draw parameters or information on screen.
Complex-1 use custom area to draw cables - you can see where this area ends when you try to drag cable too low.
To give more technical info about it, one of the RE devs would have to chime in, as my knowledge is limited in this topic.
:reason: :refill: :re:

artotaku

19 Jul 2021

lowtom wrote:
19 Jul 2021
loopeydoug wrote:
19 Jul 2021

From my understanding, there are several RE's (in example ABL3) that use custom area technique to draw parameters or information on screen.
Complex-1 use custom area to draw cables - you can see where this area ends when you try to drag cable too low.
To give more technical info about it, one of the RE devs would have to chime in, as my knowledge is limited in this topic.
Exactly, in Complex-1 it is a gigantic custom display to be switched on as soon as you drag cable or switch to it with a button.

That said, a RE can also have remotable items in a custom display if a RE dev has enabled them for the device.
If so, unfortunately, they are listed at a certain place/corner in the display by the host and it is currently not possible for a RE dev to change the location.

• Information