High resolution Reason is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2021

Come on Jiggery, please tell me you know me well enough by now… :(
JiggeryPokery wrote:
15 Jul 2021
selig wrote:
15 Jul 2021

These are two different features, rack/device zooming and application zoom. Application zooming was done first (has been requested for YEARS!), hopefully device zooming will be relatively quick to follow.
With respect, and you're not incorrect, as such, but that sure sounds dangerously close to a revisionism of the types of requests I've seen over the years, in order to attempt to justify to yourself the way it's been implemented now, when there's a very strong argument that's not what a majority of people have wanted the past six years at least, even just in a cursory search of this very forum. Now, I'm not party to whatever user stats and direct emails RS have, of course. But I can be pretty sure of one thing.

No-one, but no-one, including yourself, asked for enlarged, blurry text, and a comically, farcically engorged transport bar.

Because that is so obviously wrong it should not have even made it to a beta, let alone to paying users beta testers Reason+ Subscribers. You say "Application zooming has been done first", but it demonstrably hasn't! They've done part of it. Come on, Giles.
Selig Audio, LLC

QVprod

16 Jul 2021

Like mentioned earlier, it definitely does help to look at this update in how it's intended to work. It's not intended for you to continually change zoom, so while most of us would agree we don't need the browser, sequencer and transport to be any larger than is at 100%, trying to use application zoom in the same way you would use a dynamic zoom is just going to frustrate you because they're not the same... so... don't.... Choose the zoom percentage that works best overall and keep it there.

Also, even at 1080, there's a use for HI Res. I for one am enjoying being able to see devices more clearly without leaning into the screen at 140%. I'm using a 24" monitor. It's really helpful for creating or tweaking patches.The pixilation off the transport and browser are a minor annoyance, but we know that's likely to be fixed by September if not earlier.... for those who think this update is only focused on the Rack plugin, the mixer is Hi Res too.

Give it time... its not the first time RS has put out something that wasn't completely finished...and this time they're actually calling it Early access.

fullforce

16 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
complaining about splash screens is about the biggest waste of time ever. especially for audio software.

prove me wrong. 😂
It shows how much they care about a polished product. Which apparently is zero.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

guitfnky

16 Jul 2021

fullforce wrote:
16 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
complaining about splash screens is about the biggest waste of time ever. especially for audio software.

prove me wrong. 😂
It shows how much they care about a polished product. Which apparently is zero.
if you want to point to something that indicates how much they care about a polished product, there are better things here you could talk about—I can think of one glaring one right off the top of my head…
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bxbrkrz

16 Jul 2021

:lightbulb: Reason Studios. Give it time :lightbulb:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

fullforce

16 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
if you want to point to something that indicates how much they care about a polished product, there are better things here you could talk about—I can think of one glaring one right off the top of my head…
I already said something about making a first impression. Says it all.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

guitfnky

16 Jul 2021

fullforce wrote:
16 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
I agree. complaining about the splash screen on a piece of audio software also makes for an interesting first impression. 😅

Loque

16 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
fullforce wrote:
16 Jul 2021

I agree. complaining about the splash screen on a piece of audio software also makes for an interesting first impression. 😅
While i wouldnt join this conversation, i must admit, that i am not a fan of splashscreens at all. They were introduced in win95 to coat, that the app needs quite a long time to load and on top of that crap, some freaking devs thought, it would be a good idea to have a splash screen window on top of your current work, which is not moveable so you cannot continue your work while its loading...

I want my app to start within 1-2secs, be ready within the first 5secs and in general i wont wait longer than 5secs for anything...Sometimes its a miracle that in the last 20 years the CPUs got more than 1000 times faster and i must work slower today. Even its hard to understand, that there was a time, that a few MB were huge amount of memory and today a app easily eats up 15GB just after start...Weird times...
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

16 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
16 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021

While i wouldnt join this conversation, i must admit, that i am not a fan of splashscreens at all. They were introduced in win95 to coat, that the app needs quite a long time to load and on top of that crap, some freaking devs thought, it would be a good idea to have a splash screen window on top of your current work, which is not moveable so you cannot continue your work while its loading...

I want my app to start within 1-2secs, be ready within the first 5secs and in general i wont wait longer than 5secs for anything...Sometimes its a miracle that in the last 20 years the CPUs got more than 1000 times faster and i must work slower today. Even its hard to understand, that there was a time, that a few MB were huge amount of memory and today a app easily eats up 15GB just after start...Weird times...
yeah, I think whether there’s a splash screen at all is a more useful thing to be concerned with—for the reasons you list—than the way it looks. 👍🏼

fullforce

16 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
Yeah, because that's the only thing I complained about.

It isn't obviously, but it was the first thing. You know why it was the first thing I complained about?

fullforce

16 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
yeah, I think whether there’s a splash screen at all is a more useful thing to be concerned with—for the reasons you list—than the way it looks. 👍🏼
Yeah because projecting a splash screen takes up an incredible amount of resources. Or something.

guitfnky

16 Jul 2021

fullforce wrote:
16 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
Yeah because projecting a splash screen takes up an incredible amount of resources. Or something.
not at all the point of what he said.

guitfnky

16 Jul 2021

fullforce wrote:
16 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
Yeah, because that's the only thing I complained about.

It isn't obviously, but it was the first thing. You know why it was the first thing I complained about?
yes, but again, not the point.

orthodox
RE Developer

16 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
16 Jul 2021
They were introduced in win95...
Actually, I remember splash screens on text terminals in 70s, in some games.

guitfnky

16 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
16 Jul 2021
Loque wrote:
16 Jul 2021
game splash screens are the worst. stuff like Battlefield where the game loads into a splash screen, but doesn’t do f$&k all else until you press a button, and then you have to wait for THAT to load. how dumb is it to load a damn picture and not even start loading the actual game behind the scenes. sorry, rant over. 😅

BRIGGS

16 Jul 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
16 Jul 2021
Anyone seen this issue?
Yeah, lol:

strange pm.jpg
strange pm.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
r11s

fullforce

16 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
16 Jul 2021
Loque wrote:
16 Jul 2021
ASCII screen on BBS terminals. Those were the entry to the portal of all the good software. And when the splash screen was good, you knew the software was good.

fullforce

16 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021
orthodox wrote:
16 Jul 2021

game splash screens are the worst. stuff like Battlefield where the game loads into a splash screen, but doesn’t do f$&k all else until you press a button, and then you have to wait for THAT to load. how dumb is it to load a damn picture and not even start loading the actual game behind the scenes. sorry, rant over. 😅
That's not a splash screen, friend.
Last edited by EnochLight on 20 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Keep the insults to yourself Phasys, or you will be banned - again.

adfielding

16 Jul 2021

While my "the splash screen is rubbish" comment was totally glib and should be taken as such, I do think it's funny that there are people insisting that the splash screen isn't at all important in an update currently dedicated primarily to graphical improvements.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

16 Jul 2021

fullforce wrote:
15 Jul 2021
lowtom wrote:
15 Jul 2021
RS need to rethink their aproach as for 100% zoom there should be no loading time present. Graphic assets for 100% zoom should be build in, like default ones in previous versions, maybe preloaded or cached during istallation. Only zooming above or below 100% should trigger reloading and caching of new graphic assets.
It should be freaking realtime zoom! How hard can it be! This is a freaking kludge job!
I agree, though this is exactly the kind of clunky thing I've come to expect from RS. Having to reboot Reason just to change the color scheme set my expectations for how a graphics update might be implemented, and I wasn't far off. Judging from a lot of the comments here I'm not as interested in upgrading to R12 when it comes out, at least not right away. I was recently looking into Bitwig, and my hopes were that maybe a graphics upgrade might bring it in that direction. Not even close apparently. Don't get me wrong, I love Reason but I'm likely going to stick with R11 Suite for the forseeable future.

VariableX

16 Jul 2021

my transport, days later and after hours of use still looks like its been all smudged in mspaint is this normal? well i mean i know its not normal but nothing to worry about i assume it will come good eventually?

VariableX

16 Jul 2021

VariableX wrote:
16 Jul 2021
my transport, days later and after hours of use still looks like its been all smudged in mspaint is this normal? well i mean i know its not normal but nothing to worry about i assume it will come good eventually?
its weird because i just opened respire and watched it go from all smudgy to beautiful hi-re in maybe 5 secs - looks sweet as btw. So what gives with all the transport stuff?

VariableX

16 Jul 2021

VariableX wrote:
16 Jul 2021
VariableX wrote:
16 Jul 2021
its weird because i just opened respire and watched it go from all smudgy to beautiful hi-re in maybe 5 secs - looks sweet as btw. So what gives with all the transport stuff?
and now Expanse and its staying super lo-res

i think the beta testers have really let Reason Studios down here :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

oh cross that Expanse is going hi-res now, sweet!

but everything is still encased in an app transport and sequencer in super lo-res!

chimp_spanner

16 Jul 2021

fullforce wrote:
16 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
16 Jul 2021

That's not a splash screen, idiot.
Bro you okay?

• Information