High resolution Reason is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

14 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021
epoch wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Yikes! I hope for those of us still using standard definition monitors we can opt-out of Reason 12 loading all these RAM hungry @2x assets into memory unnecessarily!
This does seem to vary by computer. I’m having no noticeable issues at all. Even the logging beta felt normal on my system. 2018 Mac mini. 16GB RAM 6 core i5
but what is your RAM usage like on the same project with R11, vs R12/R+? that’s the real question. what you’re describing as variations among computers is more likely a variation between projects…unless you and epoch are both somehow using identical projects.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Exowildebeest

14 Jul 2021

Another major issue here: Reason now doesn't do scaling for VST's running in Reason, they are tiny on a 4K screen with 200% Windows scaling, with zoom in Reason at 100%. They should be scaled to 200% as per my Windows settings, just like the rest of Reason.

Loque

14 Jul 2021

Exowildebeest wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Another major issue here: Reason now doesn't do scaling for VST's running in Reason, they are tiny on a 4K screen with 200% Windows scaling, with zoom in Reason at 100%. They should be scaled to 200% as per my Windows settings, just like the rest of Reason.
This sounds like an issue in the VSTs. They do not know about scaling of their hosts, they can scale by the OS settings.
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
14 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021

This does seem to vary by computer. I’m having no noticeable issues at all. Even the logging beta felt normal on my system. 2018 Mac mini. 16GB RAM 6 core i5
but what is your RAM usage like on the same project with R11, vs R12/R+? that’s the real question. what you’re describing as variations among computers is more likely a variation between projects…unless you and epoch are both somehow using identical projects.
Reason 11

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.50 AM.png (110.36 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.32 AM.png (122.43 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Reason 12

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.17 AM.png (110.35 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.32 AM.png (119.04 KiB) Viewed 4350 times

The memory pressure and cpu load do report higher on Activity monitor, but again, in practice, I don't notice it. it's only 1GB difference. CPU process and threads seem to be almost identical. CPU load is higher on 12, But I wasn't completely scientific here and may have played the song at different points. Cpu meter in Reason is negligible in both.

I won't claim to be an expert in computers but the Ram increase on my system is not nearly as large as what Deep Schulzz is reporting on his system.

earwig83

14 Jul 2021

Oh? ok. From what I saw in the Ryan video, it looks like the features are there but just not very developed other than search return time improvements and some device tagging. Single column device browsing was still a constraint. Am I mistaken?
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021
earwig83 wrote:
13 Jul 2021
I haven't updated yet. Will get R12 perpetual when it comes out. But reading the way they implemented zoom, I'm starting to think developers at RS are really building a crappy Frankenstein of code at this point. Does not sound very promising.

The new browser features are pretty weak by the looks of it. Is it still a single column of devices? annoying! I hope I am wrong.

EDIT: Wanted to add a few more thoughts. Will I be able to search "delay" and it will show all delay devices, even echos? Because it doesn't as of 11. Seems pure logic that each device should be tagged properly. Hope that is fixed.

I really think that company is lazy and milking legacy software at this point. It sucks, had mad respect for nearly 2 decades. I keep trying to defend the platform to my music friend and I keep embarrassing myself when I notice the issues I continue to struggle with understanding.
The new browser features haven’t been added yet.

Exowildebeest

14 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Exowildebeest wrote:
14 Jul 2021
This sounds like an issue in the VSTs. They do not know about scaling of their hosts, they can scale by the OS settings.
The problem seems to be that Reason does influence the VST's scaling, tricking them into disregarding the OS scaling. Reason 11 did not have this issue. And my VST's also scale fine in my other DAWs. I definitely think it's a Reason issue, a bug. This cannot possibly be intended behaviour.

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

earwig83 wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Oh? ok. From what I saw in the Ryan video, it looks like the features are there but just not very developed other than search return time improvements and some device tagging. Single column device browsing was still a constraint. Am I mistaken?
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021

The new browser features haven’t been added yet.
Apologies. I corrected in another post above.

Deep Schulzz

14 Jul 2021

Opening the exact same project in R11 and R12
R11 open = 32% RAM Load (Windows 10)

R12 open = 84% RAM Load. RAM load gets lower when scrolling in the rack. It can't be meant that way. There is the error devil in there and quite blatant

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Opening the exact same project in R11 and R12
R11 open = 32% RAM Load (Windows 10)

R12 open = 84% RAM Load. RAM load gets lower when scrolling in the rack. It can't be meant that way. There is the error devil in there and quite blatant
It’s definitely a bug. Just weird how it’s not happening across the board. Can’t even call it a Windows issue as someone else with an intel Mac mini is experiencing similar while I don’t.

Billy+

14 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021

all REs (starting this week) come with the maximum resolution source images.......
What effect if any will this have with Reason 11 if / when a rack extension needs to be synced?

guitfnky

14 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Reason 11

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.32 AM.png

Reason 12

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.32 AM.png

The memory pressure and cpu load do report higher on Activity monitor, but again, in practice, I don't notice it. it's only 1GB difference. CPU process and threads seem to be almost identical. CPU load is higher on 12, But I wasn't completely scientific here and may have played the song at different points. Cpu meter in Reason is negligible in both.

I won't claim to be an expert in computers but the Ram increase on my system is not nearly as large as what Deep Schulzz is reporting on his system.

interesting—indeed, it looks like Reason is using the same amount of RAM in both cases on your machine. the thing that I wonder about now is…why does your GPU have zero load in both cases? I was under the assumption that R12 was supposed to offload rendering to the GPU (could’ve sworn I heard that from Mattias at some point), unlike R11 and earlier, which don’t take advantage of discrete graphics cards.

Billy+

14 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
14 Jul 2021
interesting—indeed, it looks like Reason is using the same amount of RAM in both cases on your machine. the thing that I wonder about now is…why does your GPU have zero load in both cases? I was under the assumption that R12 was supposed to offload rendering to the GPU (could’ve sworn I heard that from Mattias at some point), unlike R11 and earlier, which don’t take advantage of discrete graphics cards.
This is what Mattias said,
MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
The scaling is done by the CPU though, only drawing the results is dependent on the graphics card.

guitfnky

14 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
14 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
14 Jul 2021
This is what Mattias said,
MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
The scaling is done by the CPU though, only drawing the results is dependent on the graphics card.
which doesn’t negate the question…why is it showing 0% GPU usage?

Billy+

14 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
14 Jul 2021

which doesn’t negate the question…why is it showing 0% GPU usage?
Don't have a clue,

but I was thinking that my intel iris mac would be next to useless however Mattias said it should not really be a problem I am wondering why we haven't heard any more from props though as there clearly is something not going to plan judging by the comments?

I'm personally more interested in getting a response to my other comment viewtopic.php?p=563216#p563216

gullum

14 Jul 2021

load time is 7 sec in 11 and 31 sec for the same project in 12 but in the long run will it be a big problem for me I doubt it, it's not like I be loading new projects all the time.

dannyF

14 Jul 2021

Cubase 11 is currently on sale. I upgraded from 4. Only cost like 80 pounds or so.

This shitshow is going to implode.

gullum

14 Jul 2021

dannyF wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Cubase 11 is currently on sale. I upgraded from 4. Only cost like 80 pounds or so.

This shitshow is going to implode.
WE have bananas on sale at the local shop

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
14 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021

Reason 11

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.26.32 AM.png

Reason 12

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 10.28.32 AM.png

I wonder if that’s related to integrated graphics? The Mac Mini 2018 doesn’t have a discrete graphics card.

guitfnky

14 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
14 Jul 2021

I wonder if that’s related to integrated graphics? The Mac Mini 2018 doesn’t have a discrete graphics card.
ah, yeah, that makes sense. I shouldn’t have assumed all macs had some sort of dedicated card.

Oberlai

15 Jul 2021

Highres looks very good, sure, but how is it possible to introduce something like this and NOT have a legacy option showing the old bitmaps that we've been looking at for over a decade AND is the safe choice in terms on performance? Just very disappointed and baffled over that decision.

Steedus
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2021

Is this either the new sampler, or combinator? From the announcement video around 1:08.

new-device-maybe.jpg
new-device-maybe.jpg (125.8 KiB) Viewed 3844 times

deeplink
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2021

Steedus wrote:
15 Jul 2021
Is this either the new sampler, or combinator? From the announcement video around 1:08.

new-device-maybe.jpg
It's Mimic. Their new sampler
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Faastwalker

15 Jul 2021

Seems to be more or less working, although certain elements of front panels seem to be taking an age to update. Like individual text components or the odd knob. Had a Sweeper Modulation loaded into the rack for hours. The words 'frequency', 'bandwidth' & 'Feedback' never came good. Maybe they will eventually. Kind of feels like a beta. It's baggy to say the least. But the biggest disappointment is the way the zoom works. Being 'Application Zoom' the whole thing scales up. I always imagined it would be possible to scale up the rack seperately. Or even individual devices. So say if you were working on a particular synth you could blow it up to a better size whilst tweaking. Having the whole of Reason scale up feels like an accessibility function. Great news if your visually impaired (if the GUI ever loads correctly). Looks great at say %120 once things load. But at the sacrifice of a lot of screen real estate. Feels like I've got a better view but have gone from my 32" monitor back down to a 24". As such I've actually gone back to 100% scaling, where things look pretty much as they did. Erm :?

epoch

15 Jul 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
15 Jul 2021
Seems to be more or less working, although certain elements of front panels seem to be taking an age to update. Like individual text components or the odd knob. Had a Sweeper Modulation loaded into the rack for hours. The words 'frequency', 'bandwidth' & 'Feedback' never came good. Maybe they will eventually. Kind of feels like a beta. It's baggy to say the least. But the biggest disappointment is the way the zoom works. Being 'Application Zoom' the whole thing scales up. I always imagined it would be possible to scale up the rack seperately. Or even individual devices. So say if you were working on a particular synth you could blow it up to a better size whilst tweaking. Having the whole of Reason scale up feels like an accessibility function. Great news if your visually impaired (if the GUI ever loads correctly). Looks great at say %120 once things load. But at the sacrifice of a lot of screen real estate. Feels like I've got a better view but have gone from my 32" monitor back down to a 24". As such I've actually gone back to 100% scaling, where things look pretty much as they did. Erm :?
It looks best on a HiDPI device where 100% scaling is actually showing 2x the amount of pixels in the same space on your screen. No upscaling required then.

I agree, the implementation is clunky though and doesn't feel elegant like I was expecting...

Faastwalker

15 Jul 2021

epoch wrote:
15 Jul 2021
It looks best on a HiDPI device where 100% scaling is actually showing 2x the amount of pixels in the same space on your screen. No up-scaling required then.

I agree, the implementation is clunky though and doesn't feel elegant like I was expecting...
I've never even heard of HiDPI! :? As far as displays/monitors go I'm somewhat out of the loop! :oops: I'm guessing it means a 4K display? Mine is 32" at 2K. Maybe time to think about an upgrade?

In any case, still feel like the Hi-Res function is a bit on the clunky side. And would have loved to have it for each element of Reason as opposed to the whole thing. Again, maybe my monitor?!

• Information