64-step sequencer ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Emian

09 Jul 2021

hello Reasoners,

with the upcoming update to Reason 12 & HD graphics and (hopefully) the possibility to zoom in on the rack, would a 64-step sequencer RE be an option?

I recently got myself a Digitakt & a Model: Cycles, both support patterns up to 64 step length...
I enjoy sending MIDI from Reason to the devices , from Korde for example. but to fill a 64 step-pattern on the devices i have to create 2 patterns in Korde and automate the pattern change.

What do you guys think about this request?

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

BRIGGS

11 Jul 2021

Polystep
r11s

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

As briggs said, polystep is technically 64 step - given the 4 variations that are contained within each pattern.
However, personally this doesnt quite help, as it is difficult to program when the pattern is running - since the display will change as it plays.

The best alternative would be perhaps be Robotic Beans's Seqeuencer - which offers 32-step. However you can play a pattern an octave higher with notes transposed by -1 octave, with note conditions A-B - playing A for the lower portion and B for the upper portion - therefore giving you 64-steps on one screen.

I'm adverse to the idea that, given application zoom, RE devs can start making smaller RE's - with the idea that the user can simply zoom when they need to use it. This would be a hassle.
Last edited by deeplink on 12 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

challism

12 Jul 2021

Kompulsion is another option. It has 32 steps per pattern. But with pattern automation, any of these sequencing players could be effectively turned into a 256-step sequencer (512-step, in PolyStep's case)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dvdrtldg

12 Jul 2021

I'm interested to know why you want 64 steps? Is it just because moar = better or do you have a particular use in mind

Emian

13 Jul 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
12 Jul 2021
I'm interested to know why you want 64 steps? Is it just because moar = better or do you have a particular use in mind

well for melodic sequences as well as drum sequences a longer pattern means les repetitive since you have more amount of bars to ad variation in.
And programing a melody is easier if i can see a full linear notelane instead of working with pattern-switching....

Like i mentioned, i bought an Elektron Model: Cycles & a Digitakt, with the intention to prepare some sort of liveset, they both support pattern lenghts of 64 steps max (altough on the Cycles you,can play a part at half speed, which makes it a 128 step part), so to make the most of each pattern i'd like to use the full 64 steps.
after i can set probability on both devices for each recorded note/trig for even more variation.

I found some sort of a solution myself for my issue:

i can place 2 instances of Korde in the rack next to eachother, feed notes to the left Korde only for the first 32 steps and feed only notes to the right Korde for step 33-64. merge the gate/cv outputs an send to the external MIDI-devices, 64 step sequence recorded ;)

And in case someone might wonder why i still use Korde; the 2 extra CV outputs make it so i can send CV data to MIDI-CC per note ;)

Thank you all for thinking along tough, much appreciated.

I might end up getting PolyStep in some sale, will at least give it try ! For now, issue is solved !

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jul 2021

Emian, you got yourself an extremely powerful and fun sequencer in the digitakt. Why bother programming stuff into a sequencer on the computer only to record that into a sequencer on the hardware? I think you're going about it in a funny, convoluted way 🤓

Emian

13 Jul 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jul 2021
Emian, you got yourself an extremely powerful and fun sequencer in the digitakt. Why bother programming stuff into a sequencer on the computer only to record that into a sequencer on the hardware? I think you're going about it in a funny, convoluted way 🤓
because the pads on Digitakt are not velocity sensitive, nor am i a good keyboard player (i don't even have my MIDI-keyboard connected to my computer anymore).

Korde has always been my favourite sequencer RE (along with PSQ-1684) and i'm sure i can create melodies faster with it then with the Digitakt (or Model: Cycles).

I agree the Elektron sequencer is powerful, & like i said, my recording from korde onto the 2 boxes is only a starting point.
After that i can edit conditions of steps on the Digitakt (or Cycles), set certain trigs to 'fill'-mode, ...

But for a starting point i'm pretty sure Korde is the fastest way for me. fast control over velocity, note length & even 2 MIDI-CC values to control...
And this way i'll get more comfortable with the Elektron sequencer eventually ;)

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jul 2021

Emian wrote:
13 Jul 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jul 2021
because the pads on Digitakt are not velocity sensitive, nor am i a good keyboard player (i don't even have my MIDI-keyboard connected to my computer anymore).

Korde has always been my favourite sequencer RE (along with PSQ-1684) and i'm sure i can create melodies faster with it then with the Digitakt (or Model: Cycles).

I agree the Elektron sequencer is powerful, & like i said, my recording from korde onto the 2 boxes is only a starting point.
After that i can edit conditions of steps on the Digitakt (or Cycles), set certain trigs to 'fill'-mode, ...

But for a starting point i'm pretty sure Korde is the fastest way for me. fast control over velocity, note length & even 2 MIDI-CC values to control...
And this way i'll get more comfortable with the Elektron sequencer eventually ;)
Fair enough. I would focus on building that muscle memory. On the digitakt I love the step recording mode, or live recording. Then editing the steps for velocity or whatever. Sometimes I enter the rhythm and then edit the pitch per step. So many ways to sequence on that thing, I love it.

Emian

13 Jul 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jul 2021

Fair enough. I would focus on building that muscle memory. On the digitakt I love the step recording mode, or live recording. Then editing the steps for velocity or whatever. Sometimes I enter the rhythm and then edit the pitch per step. So many ways to sequence on that thing, I love it.

also fair !

And i' msure muscle memory will come as i go along this ride with these exciting new devices. But for me hooking up 6 external MIDI devices to control the Model: Cycles from Korde is a breeze !

Now I need to figure how to record data from Drum Sequencer or especially Beat Map (which also goes up to 64 steps ;) ) onto Digitakt. i can send gate-data to the Digi but haven't found the way to record, i must be missing something there.... have you tried/done that before? any help would be appreciated :)

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jul 2021

Haven't tried that! Doesn't it work with live recording mode?

If there's a way, Sterioevo definitely knows it. I hope he sees this thread and chimes in!

Emian

13 Jul 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jul 2021

If there's a way, Sterioevo definitely knows it. I hope he sees this thread and chimes in!

i also asked in the "i bought a Digitakt" thread, i'll see if reponse comes there.... maybe i should quote him for faster response ;)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2021

deeplink wrote:
12 Jul 2021
As briggs said, polystep is technically 64 step - given the 4 variations that are contained within each pattern.
However, personally this doesnt quite help, as it is difficult to program when the pattern is running - since the display will change as it plays.

The best alternative would be perhaps be Robotic Beans's Seqeuencer - which offers 32-step. However you can play a pattern an octave higher with notes transposed by -1 octave, with note conditions A-B - playing A for the lower portion and B for the upper portion - therefore giving you 64-steps on one screen.

I'm adverse to the idea that, given application zoom, RE devs can start making smaller RE's - with the idea that the user can simply zoom when they need to use it. This would be a hassle.

Note: With Sequences you can stack notes on top of each other so there is no need to transpose them however it does become hard to edit the lower notes, using the stacking or the transpose method with "conditions" you can create a single pattern with 256 steps...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2021

Did anybody mention this? 128 step sequencer.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... assistant/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

huggermugger

17 Jul 2021

Pattern Mutator is a different sort of beast because you can't really edit the sequence itself. Instead you apply variations to it (mutation). But it has 99 steps, and you can record realtime or steptime. It's an inspiring tool for making melodies.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 9.07.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 9.07.03 AM.png (243.79 KiB) Viewed 2262 times

Sterioevo

17 Jul 2021

Emian wrote:
13 Jul 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jul 2021

i also asked in the "i bought a Digitakt" thread, i'll see if reponse comes there.... maybe i should quote him for faster response ;)
Ummm, my ears were burning...

Just transpose down 3 octaves and you will find the sweet spot. Use Tonicmint AB Transpose, or change the notes on the Drum Sequencer/Beatmap starting C-2. What is cool is you have access to 7 octaves of the selected sample x 8 midi channels, selectable via the External Midi Out device - C-1 and up at the same time.

xzone9

17 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jul 2021
Did anybody mention this? 128 step sequencer.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... assistant/
I have the Mixfood Stutter which is very similar, the RE is very buggy and crashes a lot.

• Information