High resolution Reason is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

12 Jul 2021

Just gorgeous, seems the updated browser is ready also for Reason+ people.

Jagwah

12 Jul 2021

The zoom feature looks really cool too.

After using the browser so long I will have to use this updated version myself before I can believe it!

Any thoughts from people who have been beta testing? What's the high res and zoom like and is the browser faster / better now?

Faastwalker

12 Jul 2021

I must be dong something wrong. Is hi-res for 4K only?! On my 2k display it looks worse than it did before! 😕

Steedus
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

^ give it a moment to fully load (this was done to prioritize audio functions loading first while HD assets load in the background)

Ottostrom

12 Jul 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
12 Jul 2021
I must be dong something wrong. Is hi-res for 4K only?! On my 2k display it looks worse than it did before! 😕
Nah, after you set your zoom level you have to wait for individual parts of the program to load correctly before things start looking good.
This will probably be a lot faster in the official release version tho. But the zoom is definitely more of a "set to your preferred setting and then leave it" and not a dynamic zoom like the sequencer for example.

helmutson

12 Jul 2021

What ? This is a release version or not ? I have to wait seconds until the gui is loaded ... wow, very impressive :lol:

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

Can it be switched off ?

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Can it be switched off ?
Can what be switched off?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

12 Jul 2021

helmutson wrote:
12 Jul 2021
What ? This is a release version or not ? I have to wait seconds until the gui is loaded ... wow, very impressive :lol:
This is intentional, though I think we can get it even faster in future updates. Basically we're scaling each hi-res asset to suit your zoom level, OS zoom setting, screen, pixel density etc. when needed. To not cause any issues (glitches, hangs, etc.) while you're making music, this is done with low priority in the background while you see a roughly scaled preview. It then "switches in" when done. Kind of like the time stretch preview in the sequencer. Once it's scaled, we cache the images so you only need to do it once for your zoom level of choice.

The dev team is looking at how fast we can make that without interrupting anything else, but for now it's a one-time thing that at least came from a nice place: us trying to not cause issues when you're making music. :oops:

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Can it be switched off ?
Background rescaling and device animation

Deep Schulzz

12 Jul 2021

Is it better to uninstall Reason 11 before installing R12? Is there a installation guide or something? :question:

helmutson

12 Jul 2021

Matthias:
You mean, from R12 on I have to live with it, that everytime when I open a RRP window in Logic , I have to wait for some seconds until I see a clear image. Can't believe that you mean it ... you're a joking, right ? ... and yes , same question - can I switch it off, back to normal res. ? :shock:

Ottostrom

12 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
helmutson wrote:
12 Jul 2021
This is intentional, though I think we can get it even faster in future updates. Basically we're scaling each hi-res asset to suit your zoom level, OS zoom setting, screen, pixel density etc. when needed. To not cause any issues (glitches, hangs, etc.) while you're making music, this is done with low priority in the background while you see a roughly scaled preview. It then "switches in" when done. Kind of like the time stretch preview in the sequencer. Once it's scaled, we cache the images so you only need to do it once for your zoom level of choice.

The dev team is looking at how fast we can make that without interrupting anything else, but for now it's a one-time thing that at least came from a nice place: us trying to not cause issues when you're making music. :oops:
Since it's not a setting meant to be switched around with during normal use I personally don't see any problem with this.
The new browser is working great as well :-)

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
orthodox wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Background rescaling and device animation
Background rescaling - yes, just keep the Application Zoom at 100% (default).
Device animation - no. It has always been there (Rotor, Tape Stop and many others). It's up to the RE developer to use it or not.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

12 Jul 2021

helmutson wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Matthias:
You mean, from R12 on I have to live with it, that everytime when I open a RRP window in Logic , I have to wait for some seconds until I see a clear image. Can't believe that you mean it ... you're a joking, right ? ... and yes , same question - can I switch it off, back to normal res. ? :shock:
No, it scales to the required size for your zoom level once, caches the images, and will then use that. It shouldn't be required to wait in Logic more than the time it takes to instantiate the plugin. If you're experiencing this even after scaling to your resolution of choice and then opening again, please send a report to support and we can look into it.

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Is it better to uninstall Reason 11 before installing R12? Is there a installation guide or something? :question:
I've kept Reason 11 Suite installed and it does not interfere. The installation is simple: manually reinstall Companion from https://www.reasonstudios.com/plus/subscriber, and it will offer to download R12.

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
helmutson wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Matthias:
No, it scales to the required size for your zoom level once, caches the images, and will then use that. It shouldn't be required to wait in Logic more than the time it takes to instantiate the plugin. If you're experiencing this even after scaling to your resolution of choice and then opening again, please send a report to support and we can look into it.
Are the new images created locally or downloaded from the internet?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Locally, all REs (starting this week) come with the maximum resolution source images. We're scaling the source images, first with a real bad but real quick algorithm for instant preview and then a more advanced but high quality scaling algorithm. The final results are cached locally.

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Locally, all REs (starting this week) come with the maximum resolution source images. We're scaling the source images, first with a real bad but real quick algorithm for instant preview and then a more advanced but high quality scaling algorithm. The final results are cached locally.
So depending on the spec of the system you could wait longer for the images to rescale?

I'm running an intel based Mac with an iris graphics device, what's the performance going to be like?

helmutson

12 Jul 2021

Do I have to reinstall every RE for the new HiRes feature ?

helmutson

12 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
helmutson wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Matthias:
I'll give it a try ... if it doesn't work well for me can I go back to R11.3 ?

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Jul 2021

helmutson wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Do I have to reinstall every RE for the new HiRes feature ?
Yes, but it's done with one click at "Upgrade installed devices to hi-res" in Companion.
Not all REs are converted yet.

Deep Schulzz

12 Jul 2021

Sorry if this a stupid question. The scale ability thing concerns only the Reason Plugin Device and not Reason 12 DAW? :oops:

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Sorry if this a stupid question. The scale ability thing concerns only the Reason Plugin Device and not Reason 12 DAW? :oops:
Both the Rack Plugin and the DAW.

QVprod

12 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Reason is both the DAW AND the Plug-in. It applies to Reason as a whole.

• Information