What are the best Refills you own?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
WOO

11 Jul 2021

Recombination by Nucleus Soundlab. Great for ambient or soundscapes.

esselfortium

11 Jul 2021

Tom Pritchard - VAST (which is now free, and is still one of the best synth sound collections out there for Reason, IMO!)
Adam Fielding - Europa Relay
Impact Soundworks - Resonance: Emotional Mallets
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

Also for drums, ... Kikbak’s 808/MPC +4db, commodore 64 drums, and the Modernbeatz drums almost always find their way into a track. They're brilliant to layer

I can easily create a drum pattern with any basic drum set and then beef it up by layering one of those.

Auryn

13 Jul 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Jul 2021
For me it's Quixotic Sound Design. Lots of inspiring sounds with character.
Muchas gracias señor for the plug!

Those oft mentioned, now free Tom Pritchard refills were my inspiration for trying some sound design, so certainly don't sleep on those.
I personally also like the Chaos FX bundles, some excellent FX in there.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

bitley

13 Jul 2021

Supporters!

Keeping the Fairlight CMI vibe alive :-)

Thank you very much and I hope you're having a safe and sweet summer!

dvdrtldg

22 Jul 2021

Kings of Kong
Reason Disco School
Reason Soul School
New Atlantis Audio Refill Bundle
Bitley Fairlight Platinum
Jiggery Pokery Blue Meanie
Zero-G Total Rex
Shimmer and Shake (Rex percussion loops)

I have all the Lectric Panda procedural ones too, they're great if a little overwhelming. And a huge bunch of other refills I never use

WOO

26 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
03 Jul 2021
The Luftrum Ambient Refill Collection is now free and pretty cool.
https://www.luftrum.com/luftrum-refill-collection/
Thanks for the tip. They create some stellar sounding refills. Wish I could afford to buy some of them now that there on sale.
Last edited by WOO on 26 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2021

WOO wrote:
26 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
03 Jul 2021
Thanks for the tip. They create some stellar sounding refills. Wish I could afford to buy some of them now that there on sale.
I think the only other refill they have is the one for Grain?!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2021

Have to cosign Massive, Kikbak and eXode if I've not done so already.

Modernbeatz also create stellar kits for nnxt.

There's a lot of gold out there that often has people asking what I've used.

Love telling them they're 15 year old refills.

bitley

04 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
26 Jul 2021
Minimoog; 50...

MarkTarlton

04 Aug 2021

bitley wrote:
04 Aug 2021
avasopht wrote:
26 Jul 2021
Minimoog; 50...
hey bitley! I have a question for you since your work is top notch. I'm in a band, and we are in the process of trying to convert a few samples from our new release in the works. they are vst's containing solina and moog patches, and it's important for it to sound just like our recording. the keyboardist is using a nord electro which only has 256mb of sample storage, what do you recommend as far as sampling each octave, every 3rd semitone, etc... any advice is appreciated. they will be 16 bit/44.1 since that's what the nord reads.

bitley

05 Aug 2021

Oh hi Mark and thanks for the kind words!

1. This is a lot of work, a lot. If you've got a technician to help you out, do. :)
2. There are no general guidelines really, it all depends on the sound and what kind of range you will need. More often than not, a single sample across the keyboard will actually work pretty well but this depends on a number of factors. If you're making a multisample, same there, sometimes I've felt I need to sample each key, but sometimes every third or fourth should work pretty well. In the case of a single sample across the board envelope settings etc has to be done to make it musically useful and not too "samply".
3. Use Reason to make the samples and loop it with Reason's forward loop / crossfade. Trial and error here but once you figure it out Reason creates absolutely stunning loops without a traceable looping point. The Nord should read these looppoints but when transfering to something else glitches always occur, hopefully easily fixed. (When I made WBF R2 I didn't have this tool available to me so I tried lots of different audio editors as well as manually setting the looping points in the NNXT, which took forever and two days for just one sample sometimes...). Logic also has its autosampler functionality but it doesn't loop sounds well at all unfortunately.
4. Again, lots of work, so perhaps you should begin looking for great Solina and Moog samples in the Nord libraries. Or add a JV module with the 60's and 70's expansion board.

I probably missed some usable advice ideas here but these are some quick ideas anyway.

MarkTarlton

05 Aug 2021

bitley wrote:
05 Aug 2021
Oh hi Mark and thanks for the kind words!

1. This is a lot of work, a lot. If you've got a technician to help you out, do. :)
2. There are no general guidelines really, it all depends on the sound and what kind of range you will need. More often than not, a single sample across the keyboard will actually work pretty well but this depends on a number of factors. If you're making a multisample, same there, sometimes I've felt I need to sample each key, but sometimes every third or fourth should work pretty well. In the case of a single sample across the board envelope settings etc has to be done to make it musically useful and not too "samply".
3. Use Reason to make the samples and loop it with Reason's forward loop / crossfade. Trial and error here but once you figure it out Reason creates absolutely stunning loops without a traceable looping point. The Nord should read these looppoints but when transfering to something else glitches always occur, hopefully easily fixed. (When I made WBF R2 I didn't have this tool available to me so I tried lots of different audio editors as well as manually setting the looping points in the NNXT, which took forever and two days for just one sample sometimes...). Logic also has its autosampler functionality but it doesn't loop sounds well at all unfortunately.
4. Again, lots of work, so perhaps you should begin looking for great Solina and Moog samples in the Nord libraries. Or add a JV module with the 60's and 70's expansion board.

I probably missed some usable advice ideas here but these are some quick ideas anyway.
Bitley, this is huge and very helpful. I super appreciate you taking the time to write all that out.

1- We are glutton's for punishment, so we will do it ourselves at the rehearsal studio, we already started, and I have been experimenting learning some of the pitafalls along the way.

2- We've already experienced the sounds too "samply" from envelopes and not enough samples, or length, loop, etc...

3 - we have all our tunes aka patches and samples already in Pro Tools which is where those sounds live inside our new album, I might bounce the audio, and manipulate all the samples in Reason, but it would save time to avoid that process, unless it's just way easier than I could see myself taking that route.

4-we have been using solina and moog patches that sound okay, but when we play our new songs at practice it just sounds off after hearing the record for so long while recording, mixing, blah blah, you start to get attached to that stuff :) I do like the idea of looking for a JV 60's/70's expansion card!

Again, you are the man! Thanks so very much!

Tinnitus

05 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Jul 2021
Kings of Kong
Reason Disco School
Reason Soul School
Zero-G Total Rex
What's total rex like? Is it all samples from the selected packs or only selected ones?

Is the sound quality as bad as reported?
https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... -quot.html

bitley

05 Aug 2021

Thanks Mark! Go for the JV expansion and combine it with perhaps sampling the actual phrases that are important directly from ProTools or run a backing track combined with live playing on top. There are many viable solutions to this.

dvdrtldg

06 Aug 2021

Tinnitus wrote:
05 Aug 2021
dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Jul 2021
Kings of Kong
Reason Disco School
Reason Soul School
Zero-G Total Rex
What's total rex like? Is it all samples from the selected packs or only selected ones?
I'm not sure... I think I got it for free or very cheap a few years back, I haven't looked into exactly what's missing if anything. I just pull it out & use it
Is the sound quality as bad as reported?
https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... -quot.html
Fine for my purposes. My stuff is mostly kind of murky/lo fi, and most of the loops I use get heavily processed, so I'm not all that fussed if there's "added frequencies" or "subliminal reverb" or whatever they're talking about on gearspace. If there's a problem in the mix, I might go back to the original loop and check it out closely, but I can't remember having done that with Total Rex loops. I just like them for their variety. Maybe rather than a "best refill" I should say it's a "most used refill"

Catblack

14 Aug 2021

Just a mention that a lot of the THAT SOUND collections also come as refills. They are all drums as I recall, but quite well recorded and come with kong kits.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Re8et
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2021

Salad

r2101

30 Aug 2021

in no particular order...

bitleys fairlight refill, miroslav, sr reality drums ,soundcells big box of pads, tom pritchards synth patches, recoustics by new atlantis audio.

rootwheel

11 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2021
I am not too familiar with good Refills as I haven't used them too much but now I find them quite useful.

I'm interested to know what are the best Refills judging from your experience?

I'd prefer to know about standard Refills only but feel free to share about Reason+ sound packs too, might be some interesting info there.

I've mentioned before how much I love Jiggery Pokery's Kings of Kong Refill, now I want to explore what is out there, especially synthy stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts! :)
Viral Outbreak Reason ReFill by Nucleus Soundlabs is excellent

Reminiscence

25 Sep 2021

Flatpack 3 - the Flatpack refill range is by far the best imo. Also I recommend the psycrafter range

Jackjackdaw

25 Sep 2021

Big little Tonic and Thermionic solid state drums by Goldbaby are my go to drum samples and available as Refills.

VIVIsect

25 Sep 2021

There are loads of Sonic Flavours refills that I still love (Mystic Dreampads collection, BOO, UltraSphere, Red Mouse Meets Thor, Afterglow, etc.)

All the he Luftrum refills.

Bitword, particularly the Sonic Data and Wavefront refills. I've used Sonic Data in so many different tracks over the years.

I've had these for ages and I still reach for them all the time.

Aosta

18 Oct 2022

MrFigg wrote:
03 Jul 2021
I grabbed this way back when but never got around to checking it out but I stumbled across it last night and holy bovine things! What an amazing collection! Absolute quality :thumbup:
Tend the flame

Termigator

18 Oct 2022

Aosta wrote:
18 Oct 2022
MrFigg wrote:
03 Jul 2021
I grabbed this way back when but never got around to checking it out but I stumbled across it last night and holy bovine things! What an amazing collection! Absolute quality :thumbup:
number 5 is partially good for drone pads for cinematic

• Information