Rack Extension graphics for panels

This forum is for developers of Rack Extensions to discuss the RE SDK, share code, and offer tips to other developers.
wendallsan

04 Jul 2021

Hi all, do you static_decoration widgets for everything on your panels that's not a knob, slider, button, etc, or do you just use a panel image with all that 'static' stuff (labels, logos, screws, power cords, etc) baked into the image you use for your panel background? I took the 2nd approach with my extension because I'm a Photoshop nerd, but wanted to know if this is discouraged or otherwise "not the way."

pongasoft
RE Developer

05 Jul 2021

I think the recommended approach is to use as few static_decoration as possible. Every single one of them will have to be drawn separately on top of the background panel which obviously will require much more resources than a single background panel image.

ekss
RE Developer

05 Jul 2021

I use as few static decorations as possible.

rcbuse
RE Developer

05 Jul 2021

The only time I ever use static_decoration is if I need to turn a graphic on and off programmatically via visibility_switch or overlay with alpha on top of custom displays via blend_mode = "normal"

wendallsan

06 Jul 2021

Thanks all, this means I don't need to needlessly rebuild all of my panel designs!

• Information