Rack Extension compatibility between Reason users

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Jagwah

04 Jul 2021

Collaborating with other Reason users is great, but an issue arises when we do not know which of the hundreds of rack devices we share in common and which we do not.

I imagine the exact same problem happens with VST usage etc, but because Reason is a kind of closed system I was wondering if there could be some type of compatibility component, or some web based system where we can compare our REs with another users (perhaps if both parties agree).

Hope that makes sense, cheers!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2021

Jagwah wrote:
04 Jul 2021
Collaborating with other Reason users is great, but an issue arises when we do not know which of the hundreds of rack devices we share in common and which we do not.

I imagine the exact same problem happens with VST usage etc, but because Reason is a kind of closed system I was wondering if there could be some type of compatibility component, or some web based system where we can compare our REs with another users (perhaps if both parties agree).

Hope that makes sense, cheers!
Any time I’ve done stuff with other folk we usually just ask each other before we use a device. I had a bit of time over one day so I wrote a list of my 14 pages of REs. You can write “and all the free ones. “
Alternatively just take screen shots of the pages and send them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

04 Jul 2021

The fastest way is to each make a sorted directory listing of your RE folder and then diff those. But a kind of colab checker on the website would be great as well.

Jagwah

04 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Jul 2021
Any time I’ve done stuff with other folk we usually just ask each other before we use a device. I had a bit of time over one day so I wrote a list of my 14 pages of REs. You can write “and all the free ones. “
Alternatively just take screen shots of the pages and send them.
It's just not that easy, we aren't always in a position to discuss options like this. When remixing big files half of the tracks need to be bounced to audio and half do not, preparing a file for mixing with Reason friends I have the same issue. I just wish there was a better way, then again, sorry to be negative, but I can't see Props worrying very much about this any time in the near future, so maybe I will go for your 14 page method lol :)

Jagwah

04 Jul 2021

jam-s wrote:
04 Jul 2021
The fastest way is to each make a sorted directory listing of your RE folder and then diff those. But a kind of colab checker on the website would be great as well.
That sounds like a job for microsoft office or something of the like which I do not have, cheers for your thoughts though.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2021

Jagwah wrote:
04 Jul 2021
jam-s wrote:
04 Jul 2021
That sounds like a job for microsoft office or something of the like which I do not have, cheers for your thoughts though.
Open the RE folder and take a screenshot of the listed REs there. One photo. All done
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

04 Jul 2021

Using a proper OS (like the Debian that can simply be installed from the windows store):

Code: Select all

$ ls -1 "/mnt/c/Users/.../AppData/Roarming/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions" | sort > myREs.txt
the other party does the same and then you can simply diff both txt files:

$ diff -u myREs.txt otherREs.txt

BRIGGS

04 Jul 2021

I remember the good old days, where you would just send the project file. No vst or re....

Comparatively speaking....Collaborating now, seems like a complicated and tedious nightmare. :shock:
r11s

guitfnky

04 Jul 2021

you might want to check out that Satellite plugin—it lets you collaborate across projects and DAWs without having to worry about who has what plugins. the last time I used it it was a little bit weird in Reason (shocking absolutely no one), but it was still very usable, if you know what to look out for.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jagwah

05 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
04 Jul 2021
Open the RE folder and take a screenshot of the listed REs there. One photo. All done
This looks like a pretty good option right now, thanks!!
jam-s wrote:
04 Jul 2021
Using a proper OS (like the Debian that can simply be installed from the windows store):

$ ls -1 "/mnt/c/Users/.../AppData/Roarming/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions" | sort > myREs.txt
the other party does the same and then you can simply diff both txt files:

$ diff -u myREs.txt otherREs.txt

Lol thanks jam :)

Jagwah

05 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
04 Jul 2021
you might want to check out that Satellite plugin—it lets you collaborate across projects and DAWs without having to worry about who has what plugins. the last time I used it it was a little bit weird in Reason (shocking absolutely no one), but it was still very usable, if you know what to look out for.
Tried it a while ago and there was some technical issue stopping us form using it in Reason, might be worth another look cheers!

BRIGGS wrote:
04 Jul 2021

I remember the good old days, where you would just send the project file. No vst or re....

Comparatively speaking....Collaborating now, seems like a complicated and tedious nightmare. :shock:
Lol :)

Yes things are certainly different these days with all these young whipper snappers running around everywhere changing the shape of our society! Why I tell you if they had to walk fifteen miles to school instead of riding their electric go cart contraptions they wouldn't last a day! Damn kids!

guitfnky

05 Jul 2021

Jagwah wrote:
05 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
04 Jul 2021
Tried it a while ago and there was some technical issue stopping us form using it in Reason, might be worth another look cheers!
I did a video about it a couple of months ago—below is the text description I added to the video that details the weirdness I had when using Reason, and how I was able to get around it, in case you decide to give it another go. of course there may have been updates since then which hopefully have fixed some of these.
Mixed In Key’s Satellite plugin is a great tool for collaboration, and the best part (well, aside from being free) is, it doesn’t care which plugins, instruments, or effects are in your session, or even which DAW you’re using! The downside is, if you want to use it in Reason, it gets a little strange—but not so strange that you shouldn’t give it a shot! Here I’ll share some of the things I’ve found as I tried using it in Reason. This isn’t a comprehensive list, nor a usage guide—just a few handy things to be aware of.

Oh, and if you like some of the features of another DAW that aren’t available in your own? You can share a session with yourself!

Reason quirks/things to keep in mind:
- Keyboard entry doesn’t work in Reason (it sends your keystrokes directly to Reason, bypassing the Satellite plugins). For example, if you try to name your stem in Satellite to “Lou”, while in Reason, the name won’t appear in the plugin, but you will have toggled Reason’s loop state (the L key is the loop on/off shortcut). You need to use an external text editor of some kind to type the name you want, copy it, then paste into Satellite using the right-click mouse functionality (Ctrl+V paste will not work for the same reason). Weird, but not a huge deal.
- Audio captured from another DAW (e.g. Ableton Live, Logic, etc.) may not automatically sync when dragged into Reason. Capture audio tracks from other DAWs from the very beginning of the song—that way, when you import into Reason, all you have to do to make sure it’s in time, is ensure the imported clip starts at the beginning of the track in Reason. This is a big deal, but something that can be worked around easily.
- Dragging audio and MIDI tracks into Reason will cause a new track to be added at the bottom of your session AND will also paste something at the location where you dragged it. The clips that show at the bottom of the session are what you want—you can delete the other stuff that shows up.
- The new MIDI track added to Reason will have an ID8 instrument attached, so if you’re wondering why there’s a weird piano playing back when you didn’t add one, that’s probably why. Best practice is to grab the clips from the imported MIDI track and move them to the instrument track you need (not copy), then delete the ID8 track.

Of course, you may want to try it out in a relatively unimportant session to get comfortable with things first, before you start using it in critical projects (but then, you should do this anyway, regardless of DAW).

Grab it here: https://mixedinkey.com/satellite/
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

BRIGGS

05 Jul 2021

Jagwah wrote:
05 Jul 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
04 Jul 2021

Lol :)

Yes things are certainly different these days with all these young whipper snappers running around everywhere changing the shape of our society! Why I tell you if they had to walk fifteen miles to school instead of riding their electric go cart contraptions they wouldn't last a day! Damn kids!

r11s

• Information