Companion's sound is output on a different device

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jamierichards

01 Jul 2021

Hello,

This is such a strange issue. I have a Win 10 system using the ASIO driver with a Realtek sound card. I have a Speaker & Headphones output like everyone does using Win 10. For some strange AND VERY FRUSTRATING reason, Companion will only play through the Speaker output NO MATTER HOW I HAVE IT SET IN WINDOWS. The Win sound settings lets you assign a specific output/input per app - which is great. I use my headphones at night, which is when I do most of my writing. And Companion REFUSES to play through them. So I launch Reason after a day or two and I've got new Sound Packs to check out. AND it won't preview them!! I HATE IT!

I've been in IT for 20 years, so I've pretty savvy when it comes to troubleshooting - but this issue makes no sense. Since there are no Preferences or Settings in Companion, I have to rely on the Win 10 settings to set a default output device for Reason - which works awesome on any app I set up but Companion.

Here's what I've done so far to attempt to fix:

1. Confirmed Win Updates were current
2. I have a Dell - so I downloaded the latest Realtek Drivers
3. Made sure ALL my drivers on my system were current
4. Made sure my BIOS was current
5. Uninstalled & Reinstalled Reason & Companion
6. RESET WINDOWS! (I hated to do this, but I thought if there was ANYTHING that would fix this, that would. And I did a FULL RESET. Took me 3 hours to set everything back up)
7. Updated my ASIO driver to the ASIO4ALL driver. Created a restore point before doing it, saw no change in Companion, so I restored it back.

I also have a MAC and run Logic with Reason as a plugin, and I have ZERO problems on it with the sound from Companion. SO, as a workaround, I remote to my MAC, listen to Sound Pack previews in Companion there, then jump back to my PC to install if I like it. This is ridiculous. There's NO reason Companion shouldn't work.

If anyone has the golden answer, PLEASE SHARE IT WITH ME! I'll send you a $10 Starbuck's card! :)

Thanks!
LATEST TRACK - Something For Me (Furious Mix)

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2021

It sounds like it may be an issue with your headphone jack not muting the speaker output (ie a hardware / OS software issue, rather than a problem in Companion as you say). As Companion isn't strictly an audio producing program (that requires it's own audio settings), it should be just like any other app/program that outputs sound. The audio should be governed by your OS's audio settings. Does this same issue happen with youtube or other audio producing programs?

jamespember
Reason Studios

02 Jul 2021

Hi there

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... what-s-up-

We know this is an issue some users are having. Please see the article above for a workaround. We absolutely want to build a better solution for this, will try keep everyone in the loop.

rgdaniel

02 Jul 2021

I don't have R+ or Companion, but have also had a similar problem of ASIO not playing well with others. The described workaround linked above is exactly what I've been doing for a year or two now - using standard Windows audio drivers almost all the time, only flipping over to ASIO4ALL in R11 settings when I need better latency for recording, knowing that if I forget later, and fire up youtube, I'll get only silence. Awkward but I can live with it.

jamierichards

03 Jul 2021

Steedus wrote:
01 Jul 2021
It sounds like it may be an issue with your headphone jack not muting the speaker output (ie a hardware / OS software issue, rather than a problem in Companion as you say). As Companion isn't strictly an audio producing program (that requires it's own audio settings), it should be just like any other app/program that outputs sound. The audio should be governed by your OS's audio settings. Does this same issue happen with youtube or other audio producing programs?
Thanks for your input - but it's not a mute issue or my OS settings. I have no other audio issues with any app- and I use a TON of audio editing and mastering applications. It's JUST Companion on my Win 10 PC - my Mac is just fine.

Thanks again!

jamierichards

03 Jul 2021

That was it, James! I can't believe I missed that in my research. I had read that the ASIO driver can weird things. Sometimes I wish Microsoft would catch up with Apple when it comes to simple audio configuration with stellar output. That's one thing I REALLY hate about the PC. So I do all my recording on my Mac - I would use Reason exclusively on it if it wasn't 7 years old. Doing ANY audio file editing or manipulation is so slow I cant' deal with it. I'm buying a brand new Mac in August so all my worries will fade away!

Thanks for responding!
jamespember wrote:
02 Jul 2021
Hi there

We know this is an issue some users are having. Please see the article above for a workaround. We absolutely want to build a better solution for this, will try keep everyone in the loop.

jamierichards

03 Jul 2021

Thanks for responding RG - it was an ASIO issue. James post right before yours had a link to the article I needed!

Have a good one man!
rgdaniel wrote:
02 Jul 2021
I don't have R+ or Companion, but have also had a similar problem of ASIO not playing well with others. The described workaround linked above is exactly what I've been doing for a year or two now - using standard Windows audio drivers almost all the time, only flipping over to ASIO4ALL in R11 settings when I need better latency for recording, knowing that if I forget later, and fire up youtube, I'll get only silence. Awkward but I can live with it.

jamierichards

03 Jul 2021

ISSUE IS RESOLVED

Heard from James at Reason Studios - it's a common problem. See below:
jamespember wrote:
02 Jul 2021
Hi there

THANKS, JAMES!

jamespember
Reason Studios

03 Jul 2021

jamierichards wrote:
03 Jul 2021
That was it, James! I can't believe I missed that in my research. I had read that the ASIO driver can weird things. Sometimes I wish Microsoft would catch up with Apple when it comes to simple audio configuration with stellar output. That's one thing I REALLY hate about the PC. So I do all my recording on my Mac - I would use Reason exclusively on it if it wasn't 7 years old. Doing ANY audio file editing or manipulation is so slow I cant' deal with it. I'm buying a brand new Mac in August so all my worries will fade away!

Thanks for responding!
jamespember wrote:
02 Jul 2021
Hi there

Glad to hear it worked for you! Enjoy those Packs! :)

• Information