Promises of Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
02 Jul 2021

While we can’t answer the other questions, the packs are made by 3rd parties. Very easy to keep up with when you outsource to multiple people.
Yep, ... Primeloops have been doing this for years.

deeplink
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2021

Expanding their offering while doing the same amount work? Good on them :)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

sashdor80

02 Jul 2021

The quality of Sounpacks is another thing.
For a good Soundpack design, i would expect that Loops or Chordprogression are marked with its "key" thay are played in and in what key stages they are moving. Like 2-5-1 or 4-5-1 and so on.
This is something I am missing here.

Jagwah

03 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
02 Jul 2021
Jagwah wrote:
02 Jul 2021

Are the soundpacks going to be of decent quality when staff have been making them every single day for two years to meet the weekly quota? Five years? This stuff is supposed to be perpetual.
While we can’t answer the other questions, the packs are made by 3rd parties. Very easy to keep up with when you outsource to multiple people.
OK that was a good move.

QVprod

03 Jul 2021

sashdor80 wrote:
02 Jul 2021
For a good Soundpack design, i would expect that Loops or Chordprogression are marked with its "key" thay are played in and in what key stages they are moving. Like 2-5-1 or 4-5-1 and so on.
Having made one of the chord progression packs, this is an interesting point as far as the progressions go. Though one could argue that a person who knows what a 4-5-1 is could identify it immediately, but I suppose the idea would be for easier browsing. Gets more complicated for more complex progressions however. If I ever make another progression pack I’ll keep this in mind.

The key, on the other hand wouldn’t make sense because the loop will play in the key you press. If I play a C note the progression will play in C.

Billy+

03 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
03 Jul 2021
Having made one of the chord progression packs, this is an interesting point as far as the progressions go. Though one could argue that a person who knows what a 4-5-1 is could identify it immediately, but I suppose the idea would be for easier browsing. Gets more complicated for more complex progressions however. If I ever make another progression pack I’ll keep this in mind.

The key, on the other hand wouldn’t make sense because the loop will play in the key you press. If I play a C note the progression will play in C.
Q) what was the name of the pack?

Also how would you go about creating a complex progression with players, there is no relative or parallel mode so I would definitely be interested in how complex you could get as this is the main reason I don't rely on them other than for an initial idea or quick chord creation and rely more on 3rd party devices.

sashdor80

03 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
03 Jul 2021
sashdor80 wrote:
02 Jul 2021

Yes, i mean IT would be helpful for browsing. Also If IT IS in Minor or Major.

QVprod

03 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
03 Jul 2021

Also how would you go about creating a complex progression with players, there is no relative or parallel mode so I would definitely be interested in how complex you could get as this is the main reason I don't rely on them other than for an initial idea or quick chord creation and rely more on 3rd party devices.
It was Chord Progressions for R&B II. By chance it ended up as a part 2 to Sean Murray’s pack. But that wasn’t the intent.

Polystep sequencer is used for all of the progression packs. It’s actually fairly capable for progressions since you can record up to a 4 bar sequence in it if you chain all 4 parts.

As far as complexity, I could easily put in a 5-1-4 progression but that would mean different things depending on genre. The 5 could either major for typical pop or a minor 9 for more jazzy/soul related genres. So then now we’re looking at patch name being name of patch + 5m9-1-4. Let alone if there any passing chords

That said, I don’t see a normal user ever programming Polystep for this purpose. It would be easier to just use the sequencer. For patch makers, it’s the only way to do progression loops for R+ Since midi loops aren’t an option.

Billy+

03 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
03 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Jul 2021

It was Chord Progressions for R&B II. By chance it ended up as a part 2 to Sean Murray’s pack. But that wasn’t the intent.

Polystep sequencer is used for all of the progression packs. It’s actually fairly capable for progressions since you can record up to a 4 bar sequence in it if you chain all 4 parts.

As far as complexity, I could easily put in a 5-1-4 progression but that would mean different things depending on genre. The 5 could either major for typical pop or a minor 9 for more jazzy/soul related genres. So then now we’re looking at patch name being name of patch + 5m9-1-4. Let alone if there any passing chords

That said, I don’t see a normal user ever programming Polystep for this purpose. It would be easier to just use the sequencer. For patch makers, it’s the only way to do progression loops for R+ Since midi loops aren’t an option.
Ah got yah

I actually had forgotten that sequencers was part of the plus bundle and was trying to rack my brain as to how it could be done but you're spot on with the different modes and is one of my personal bugs with the chords and scale device as it's technically incorrect as it doesn't create diminished chords on the 7th in major and 2nd in minor and I really think it would have been better to produce them from a learning perspective.

As for not including midi in the packs I think the removal of project files is a bigger issue but I guess if you're going to have creators putting non included devices like the discontinued ozone maxamiser and £150 vst EQ's then RS had to do something

Personally I would blame QC but I guess no one at HQ is actually checking the packs before release?

Marc64

03 Jul 2021

How is it with the subscription, does new samples come out every week as they said?

Billy+

03 Jul 2021

Marc64 wrote:
03 Jul 2021
How is it with the subscription, does new samples come out every week as they said?
From what I've seen you get about 7 packs a week and I think the new rules are 10 patches per pack some will be sample based nnxt etc while others might be actually synth patches for the included synth in plus. I was slightly puzzled when a few used ID8, but it was interesting to see the chains put on top to make it a "patch"

You can always listen to the latest via https://share.reasonstudios.com but you won't know what you actually getting until you download with an active subscription.

QVprod

03 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
03 Jul 2021

Ah got yah

I actually had forgotten that sequencers was part of the plus bundle and was trying to rack my brain as to how it could be done but you're spot on with the different modes and is one of my personal bugs with the chords and scale device as it's technically incorrect as it doesn't create diminished chords on the 7th in major and 2nd in minor and I really think it would have been better to produce them from a learning perspective.

As for not including midi in the packs I think the removal of project files is a bigger issue but I guess if you're going to have creators putting non included devices like the discontinued ozone maxamiser and £150 vst EQ's then RS had to do something

Personally I would blame QC but I guess no one at HQ is actually checking the packs before release?
Actually wasn’t aware of that happening. There definitely is QC but if it was an older pack made before the official launch,, the guidelines weren’t as defined as they are now.

Billy+

03 Jul 2021

Wouldn't have a clue without looking into it, but out of 180+ pack you talking 45+ project files, and personal I would rather see the packs in context via a project files than some MP3 demo but I guess it's the way things have gone......

joeyluck

03 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Jul 2021
Wouldn't have a clue without looking into it, but out of 180+ pack you talking 45+ project files, and personal I would rather see the packs in context via a project files than some MP3 demo but I guess it's the way things have gone......
Are you using Reason+ now?

Faastwalker

04 Jul 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
30 Jun 2021
Lol :D As soon as I read ‘2 weeks’ I thought of that clip. I think that happens every time someone mentions 2 weeks! :?

I’m not expecting to see too much prior to the release. Maybe we will get hi-res a bit early, people will post pics up everywhere and non Reason+ users will want to invest in Reason+ :thumbup: Imagine if they release the new sampler to + users like a month prior to the release date! I’m not sure that would go down too well. There’s a goldie locks period for early release of each new component. Too early will irritate non + users, too late and subscribers will feel let down after the promises they made in the announcement video. It would have been better to just not mention anything about it in the video.

Billy+

04 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Jul 2021

I run a 30 day trial to see what all the fuss was about but as I already own every device provided the content packs alone don't make it something I will continue using at £20, however I have recommended Plus to a few others who are starting from scratch as it's a viable option for them, I have also recommended it to a forum users who had little cash but wanted Reason I'm not sure that they are going for it but you never know.

I've said many times that it's good to have the option my only real issue is that I feel that as someone who is actually spending money for the licensing and devices that they could let us have the content packs or at least give an option for a lower price £20 for content packs quite a lot of which aren't genres I would use is a bit steep.

But the patches are still interesting to look through and check out the routing etc, I enjoy learning and generally take most opportunities to do so especially when it comes to Reason and music production.

Billy+

04 Jul 2021

I would also say that companion is much better than the original site codemeter and authorizer setup and works much smoother and with James and the team working on the offline licensing feature that it could be a real improvement in the way 12 gets devices and manages them especially if they deal with licensing any device you sign into without having to jump through hoops unlicensing one device to go use another, it would be handy if I could go to someone else's device who I'm working with and just sign in and it works...

joeyluck

04 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Jul 2021
joeyluck wrote:
03 Jul 2021

I run a 30 day trial to see what all the fuss was about but as I already own every device provided the content packs alone don't make it something I will continue using at £20, however I have recommended Plus to a few others who are starting from scratch as it's a viable option for them, I have also recommended it to a forum users who had little cash but wanted Reason I'm not sure that they are going for it but you never know.

I've said many times that it's good to have the option my only real issue is that I feel that as someone who is actually spending money for the licensing and devices that they could let us have the content packs or at least give an option for a lower price £20 for content packs quite a lot of which aren't genres I would use is a bit steep.

But the patches are still interesting to look through and check out the routing etc, I enjoy learning and generally take most opportunities to do so especially when it comes to Reason and music production.
Cool. You didn't try the 90 day promo from Splice? Not sure if that is still good...

I imagine there will maybe be price tiers at some point... One argument against it was that the content is only 100% compatible for those who are subscribed to R+ or own everything by Reason Studios all the time. So you could be someone who only owns a few REs by RS and you'd pay something like $9 a month and not be able to use many of the packs... Or maybe they could sell the packs individually? I guess the other solution is to wait for another R+ sale.

Billy+

04 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Jul 2021

Cool. You didn't try the 90 day promo from Splice? Not sure if that is still good...

I imagine there will maybe be price tiers at some point... One argument against it was that the content is only 100% compatible for those who are subscribed to R+ or own everything by Reason Studios all the time. So you could be someone who only owns a few REs by RS and you'd pay something like $9 a month and not be able to use many of the packs... Or maybe they could sell the packs individually? I guess the other solution is to wait for another R+ sale.
Actually I missed that one but there's a 90 day offer from RS with a GPC code only none of the service providers will honour the codes if you've a trial in the past so I would guess RS is the same which is unfortunate as if RS honoured it that could take you from 11 to 12 release if the 1st of September is happening.

I put all the codes and links to do with the GPC in another thread :thumbup:

Here :- viewtopic.php?p=561934#p561934 if anyone is interested

• Information