to Jiggery

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dannyF

25 Jun 2021

Hi there. I notice when setting up a combinator buttons with Animus that min and max values for the "Enabled" parameter can only be "Off" or "Bypassed" ?

But there is no "Enabled" or "On" option ?

jiggery.png
jiggery.png (687.48 KiB) Viewed 1773 times

Italophile

27 Jun 2021

Works fine for me.
Screenshot 2021-06-27 204247.jpg

Gardinski

27 Jun 2021

Italophile wrote:
27 Jun 2021
Works fine for me.
Likewise. Fine for me too. Are you sure you're not scrolling too fast between the options, DannyF? 'On' should definitely be there, between 'Off' & 'bypass', but the mouse/trackpad sometimes seems to jump really quickly from one extreme to the other when there are only three positions.

Perhaps you could try holding 'SHIFT' whilst you scroll. That generally slows the rotation of knobs/faders to allow for fine-tuning.

dannyF

27 Jun 2021

Italophile wrote:
27 Jun 2021
Works fine for me.
Did you try setting it to Bypass AND On ?

Italophile

28 Jun 2021

dannyF wrote:
27 Jun 2021
Italophile wrote:
27 Jun 2021
Works fine for me.
Yes, all 3 values are available in both slots.
Screenshot 2021-06-28 084818.jpg

Gardinski

28 Jun 2021

dannyF wrote:
27 Jun 2021
Yes. Bypass & On is really the only way you'll get any usable sounds out of it (assuming it's a simple combi with an instrument running straight into Animus). 'OFF' would kill the signal, effectively muting the instrument, so if you want to switch between wet and dry, you'll need 'Bypass and On'.

Either way though, it definitely shouldn't prevent 'on' from being available as an option in the 'mod routing' window.
Last edited by Gardinski on 28 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Gardinski

28 Jun 2021

If you're still struggling to get 'On' to work, try this as a workaround... Instead of 'Enable' and 'Bypass/On', try configuring the button to trigger 'Dry/Wet' (with min set to 'zero' and max set to 40 percent, or however wet you want it).

For the patch you're using, it should have the same effect as 'Bypass/On'.

rgdaniel

28 Jun 2021

Holding Shift while scrolling up or down will definitely make it easier to dial in the settings.

challism

29 Jun 2021

Gardinski wrote:
28 Jun 2021
dannyF wrote:
27 Jun 2021
Yes. Bypass & On is really the only way you'll get any usable sounds out of it (assuming it's a simple combi with an instrument running straight into Animus). 'OFF' would kill the signal, effectively muting the instrument, so if you want to switch between wet and dry, you'll need 'Bypass and On'.

Either way though, it definitely shouldn't prevent 'on' from being available as an option in the 'mod routing' window.
A bit off topic here, but I've always wondered why devices even have that "off" position. Seems pretty useless to me. Does anybody ever use the off position on purpose? Sometimes I do by accident, and it's always annoyed me.

I'm glad you guys go this Combi issue sorted for the OP.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

challism

29 Jun 2021

Gardinski wrote:
28 Jun 2021
A bit off topic here, but I've always wondered why devices even have that "off" position. Seems pretty useless to me. Does anybody ever use the off position on purpose? Sometimes I do by accident, and it's always annoyed me.

I'm glad you guys got this Combi issue sorted for the OP.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
29 Jun 2021
Gardinski wrote:
28 Jun 2021

I think it’s to save on DSP. You can switch them off when they are not being used
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

29 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
29 Jun 2021
It is there in case you should use it as a Send effect. I use it on parallel reverbs/delays sometimes.

plaamook

29 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jun 2021
challism wrote:
29 Jun 2021

I think it’s to save on DSP. You can switch them off when they are not being used
But Bypass saves DSP. Off just mutes the whole signal chain.
I''m w challism. Pointless feature.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2021

plaamook wrote:
29 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
29 Jun 2021

Sure. I’m with you both.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

29 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
29 Jun 2021
Does anybody ever use the off position on purpose? Sometimes I do by accident, and it's always annoyed me.
Yes, I actually do find it useful, though only on rare occasion to be sure. A few of the ways I've found it useful are to mute a parallel chain to save DSP, to turn on/off a secondary signal such as a side-chain input or similar, or during trouble shooting on large complex setups that otherwise don't have a device anywhere that allows muting that particular part of the signal path.
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

29 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jun 2021
plaamook wrote:
29 Jun 2021

Sure. I’m with you both.
We should get matching T-shirts or something.
selig wrote:
29 Jun 2021
orthodox wrote:
I appreciate you both weighing in on this one. I've often wondered what the use case was for this feature. Now I know. Thanks. I still want matching T-shirts, though.

EdGrip

01 Jul 2021

challism wrote:
29 Jun 2021
Gardinski wrote:
28 Jun 2021

I'm glad you guys go this Combi issue sorted for the OP.
I'm pretty sure that IF anyone has ever used the "off" position on purpose, they are a vanishingly tiny fraction of Reason users. Even back in the Old Days, pre-SSL, I can't imagine what it was supposed to be for. And yet it's sat there, annoying everyone, this whole time. It's a great example of Propellerheads' nonsense. ;)

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Jul 2021

It is already there and it can't be removed for compatibility. So the really pointless thing here is that feeling of annoyance.

challism

01 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
01 Jul 2021
It is already there and it can't be removed for compatibility. So the really pointless thing here is that feeling of annoyance.
I wish I could switch annoyance to off or bypass mode. Unfortunately, it's not as easily done as it is to accidentally switch a device to off, though. But it's not a big issue in the grand scheme of things. I rarely even touch the on/off switch.

• Information