Reason Studio appears to be overlooking one of my favorite features-Stability.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
loopeydoug

30 Jun 2021

It's happening. The number 1 feature that lead me to becoming a Reason-exclusive user all those years ago appears to be going the way of the dodo. I used to regularly utter to myself(a-la Rain Man) "Reason never crashed." Well, I just had a project crash after right-clicking "copy patch", of all things. That's two or three crucial crashes in recent months. I guess I'll have to start ctrl+s-ing after every move like some 90's chooch. I'm working on a tricked out machine(i7-9700, 32GB, SSD) that's only 2 years old and I'm regularly seeing "(not responding)" coupled with the longest load times ever upon opening project files, even new(empty) projects. I'm seeing lag upon creating non-sample-based REs. This is alarming.

Billy+

30 Jun 2021

I think you make a good point and like you I have always been impressed with the stability of Reason and although I haven't experienced any crashes in 20 years I am noticing the disregard of issues especially in R11 now R12 is on its way.

I would say that the ram issue got a confirmation and fix fairly quickly but it did introduce other issues that have been placed to one side in favour of the next version rather than a free fix for the current version which is a shame as it's always been my experience that generally issues have been fixed especially when confirmed.

I was hoping that the new permanent testing team would have a better impact on bugs and updates but I'm assuming that they are finding the implementation more difficult than first thought assuming that the bugs are being tested and confirmed you would assume that fixes would follow fairly quickly.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2021

So weird you should write that just now. I just had Reason hang on me four times in a row. Never had that before.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

30 Jun 2021

Sounds like your pc is eating up resources. Check your task manager for any programs chewing on your yummy cpu.
r11s

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Jun 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
30 Jun 2021
Sounds like your pc is eating up resources. Check your task manager for any programs chewing on your yummy cpu.
I thought it was the other way around - check for any tough programs that your cpu is having a hard time chewing on.

BRIGGS

30 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
30 Jun 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
30 Jun 2021
I thought it was the other way around - check for any tough programs that your cpu is having a hard time chewing on.
All this talk about eating....mmmmmmm

r11s

epoch

30 Jun 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jun 2021
It's happening. The number 1 feature that lead me to becoming a Reason-exclusive user all those years ago appears to be going the way of the dodo. I used to regularly utter to myself(a-la Rain Man) "Reason never crashed." Well, I just had a project crash after right-clicking "copy patch", of all things. That's two or three crucial crashes in recent months. I guess I'll have to start ctrl+s-ing after every move like some 90's chooch. I'm working on a tricked out machine(i7-9700, 32GB, SSD) that's only 2 years old and I'm regularly seeing "(not responding)" coupled with the longest load times ever upon opening project files, even new(empty) projects. I'm seeing lag upon creating non-sample-based REs. This is alarming.
Out of interest, what Rack Device was it you were copying patch on?

I have to agree Reason 10 seemed the last really stable version. Reason 11 has felt buggy and now it seems unlikely the outstanding bugs will get fixed for users not wanting to upgrade to Reason 12 or Reason+. Pretty disappointing.

Loque

30 Jun 2021

Never had any big issues.

Only since VSTs are available i have issues. Thats why i removed all cheap VST crap and stick with the pros only.
Reason12, Win10

loopeydoug

30 Jun 2021

epoch wrote:
30 Jun 2021
loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jun 2021
Out of interest, what Rack Device was it you were copying patch on?

I have to agree Reason 10 seemed the last really stable version. Reason 11 has felt buggy and now it seems unlikely the outstanding bugs will get fixed for users not wanting to upgrade to Reason 12 or Reason+. Pretty disappointing.
I was trying to copy patch from Sweeper Modulation Effect.

fullforce

30 Jun 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jun 2021
This could have something to do with your video drivers. Check for updates.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

KGB

30 Jun 2021

Don't forget the edit sample and return to left loop point by pressing cmd left crashes...

Reason invincible stability is a thing of the past

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2021

KGB wrote:
30 Jun 2021
Don't forget the edit sample and return to left loop point by pressing cmd left crashes...

Reason invincible stability is a thing of the past
The larger a program gets, the more chance some obscure bug is triggered.

There are practically an unlimited set of steps that could trigger a crash, so the presence of the odd fixable bug is an indication of nothing.

There were bugs in old versions of Reason too, hence why they have previously released patches to fix those bugs.

Ergo, the hypothesis is false

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2021

Yea I've been having crashing issues as well. No clue what the issue is but it never happened before VST support.

SoundObjects

01 Jul 2021

Only have problems with Reason when I forget to turn on the audio interface :oops:
Else never have stability issues.
Maybe because I using a dedicated offline DAW PC - only running a few other audio applications.
The Universe Is Vibrating

RobBarnett

01 Jul 2021

11.3.4 and earlier was stable for me. Since then I've had multiple issues, crashes, pops, clicks. One Europa patch using 40%+ of CPU etc.

I cant help wondering if the introduction of new issues and instability, with fixes only applied to R12, are a push to get us to upgrade to R12 or subscribe to R+????

Apple admission springs to mind;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51413724

challism

04 Jul 2021

The only issues I've ever had with crashing was when I was beta testing something.
OP, can you reproduce the crash? Try hard to reproduce it and submit a ticket so they can (maybe) try to fix it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EdwardKiy

04 Jul 2021

The new version has abysmal loading times and multiple stability issues, which are ignored by RS although some have been reported. I know this because I've gotten a few people on Reason in the past year and they ended up downloading this older "stable" pre-garbage version.

Here you go, bud.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521565&p=539057&hi ... or#p539057

StephenHutchinson

04 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
30 Jun 2021
Never had any big issues.

Only since VSTs are available i have issues. Thats why i removed all cheap VST crap and stick with the pros only.
I absolutely agree with this. Tried some of those "free" and cheap VSTs and got hangs but removing them has returned Reason 11 back to normal. I have to say for the record... for having used Reason for over 20 years now, it has been and still is, the most stable DAW I've ever used. Even Reason 11 has stood up to everything I've thrown at it, and even works on my old MacBook Pro 17" (2009) with both El Capitan and Catalina. I can't stress enough how this makes me happy.

My current "main" machine is a MacBook Air 2015 (High Sierra) and a tricked out i9-9900 / 32 GB ram Windoze computer. Both run Reason perfectly and flawlessly. But even so, I'm forever hitting CMD + S or CTRL + S just out of plain habit from all the crappy buggy software over the years.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

plaamook

05 Jul 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
04 Jul 2021
Tried some of those "free" and cheap VSTs and got hangs but removing them has returned Reason 11 back to normal.
There were issues with a version of Soothe from Oeksound that crashed Reason 10 if I remember correctly. They're not a cheap freebe.
I got pretty deep into it with Oesound and Props trying to diagnose it. Everyone was very cool and its all back to normal.
VST's are worth an occasional crash though.
Just not when I'm really flyin!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information