Say Hello To Windows 11

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
orthodox
RE Developer

26 Jun 2021

Nothing of what I'm dreaming of in this promo. One-click videochat, really? Who needs it, why? Desktop switching is already there in Windows 10.
I need the classic desktop, huge dashboards, endless menus, small font. Color theming is nice though if it covers the classic desktop apps, It's been broken for 20 years.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2021

The most important feature is to just not be crap.

Bonus points for making it easier to arrange a cease-fire between Microsoft Antivirus and software/directories I don't want it to stalk.

visheshl

26 Jun 2021

The only feature I truely miss on windows is self contained apps. I've been using a mac for a long time, most often there are no app installers, almost always you just drag the app icon from the disk image onto the apps folder or any folder and done. I don't like the app installation process in windows. It seems that the apps themselves are not self contained and are messing with the operating system itself, which kind of feels scary. Microsoft needs to work on this I think.

rgdaniel

26 Jun 2021

Apparently my robust (but aging) PC is not compatible with Windows 11. You can download the "health check" app to see if Windows 11 is right for you, as they say...

https://windowsreport.com/pc-health-che ... indows-11/

dannyF

26 Jun 2021

Aosta wrote:
24 Jun 2021
I'm still on Win 7 and holding out until the bitter end.
Reported

zoidkirb

26 Jun 2021

rgdaniel wrote:
26 Jun 2021
Apparently my robust (but aging) PC is not compatible with Windows 11. You can download the "health check" app to see if Windows 11 is right for you, as they say...

My relatively new AMD 3600 system failed too.
Apparently TPM 2.0 is often not enabled by default on many motherboards, so you need to look at this for Win 11 compatibility.

Mattvank

27 Jun 2021

It would be great if W11 can applicat Android as is offers. Touch OSC is my favorite Software for controlling and my 10 inch tablet (with real ground keyboard) is perfect for this.

BananaSkins

27 Jun 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
26 Jun 2021
rgdaniel wrote:
26 Jun 2021

Apparently TPM 2.0 is often not enabled by default on many motherboards, so you need to look at this for Win 11 compatibility.
Possible work around...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/wi ... -bios-uefi

rgdaniel

27 Jun 2021

BananaSkins wrote:
27 Jun 2021
zoidkirb wrote:
26 Jun 2021

Possible work around...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/wi ... -bios-uefi
Not for me, sadly. I'd already checked the BIOS - no joy there - and towards the end of the tomshardware article there are links to lists of AMD and Intel CPUs compatible with Win11. No joy there either. No biggie. I can coast until 2025, or until something breaks.

jam-s

27 Jun 2021

You can install it without secure boot and thus without a TPM:

pushedbutton

27 Jun 2021

There's so many caveats to getting an officially supported upgrade to windows 11 that I don't think I'll be bothering. I don't have a TPM module, my cpu is a gen 7 i7 and my motherboard won't run a newer one.
Hopefully the component shortage won't last beyond 2025 when windows 10 stops being supported.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jun 2021

By the irony, I have fully compatible hardware, TPM 2.0 enabled and a 10gen processor, but I don't see no reason to install Windows 11.

fullforce

28 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
26 Jun 2021
Nothing of what I'm dreaming of in this promo. One-click videochat, really? Who needs it, why? Desktop switching is already there in Windows 10.
I need the classic desktop, huge dashboards, endless menus, small font. Color theming is nice though if it covers the classic desktop apps, It's been broken for 20 years.
It should be choice really. You want the oldskool menu? Here's the oldskool menu. You want the new Windows 11 MacOS rip off? Here. You want the retarded Windows 8 system? Go ahead!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2021

Microsoft Marketing is stronger than ever!

And the glass graphics are quite beautiful. But to be honest, I'm not very fond of changing the start menu from where it has always been! :/

And widgets again???? Oh well... I might upgrade the home pc's, but the studio PC stays on 10 for now!

DaveyG

29 Jun 2021

Surely if the Start button is halfway along then it should be called the Halfway button. Maybe Windows 12 will have a Finish button.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2021

How long before all new branded PCs come with this preinstalled? I made my peace with Windows 10.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Neo

29 Jun 2021

https://www.musicradar.com/news/windows-11-daw-plugins

Windows 11 promises to improve your productivity and creativity, but when will your DAW and VST plugins be compatible?
Could this be a Windows of opportunity for musicians?

Microsoft has launched Windows 11, claiming to have redesigned its operating system “for productivity, creativity and ease.” This should be music to the ears of DAW and VST plugin users, as they’re exactly the kind of software traits they’ll appreciate.

Whether Windows 11 will deliver on its promises remains to be seen, of course, but it certainly looks clean, with the repositioning of the Start button in the centre of the screen emphasising that something has changed here.

Multi-taskers will doubtless appreciate the Snap Layouts and Snap Groups features, which are designed to help you organise your windows and optimise your screen real estate. You can also set up different desktops for different tasks, such as work, gaming and - of course - music-making.

Other enhancements include the Chat feature from Microsoft Teams being integrated into the taskbar - a nod to the way that the pandemic has changed the way we communicate - and a curated view of personalised Widgets to keep you up to date with the things that are important to you.

There’s also a new, cleaner, Microsoft Store, and, starting later this year, this will feature Android apps that can then be downloaded from the Amazon Appstore. Apple, of course, now offers compatibility with iOS apps on its M1 Macs.

The question for musicians, of course, is when their DAW and plugins will be compatible with Windows 11, and that’s something we just don’t know. The fact that it’s built on the code base of Windows 10 will hopefully ease the update process for developers but, inevitably, it’ll take a bit of time for them to bring their software up to speed.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Jagwah

01 Jul 2021

Sounds like a big gamble when everything works just fine as is on 10. We have no issues and can carry on care free, but the manufacturer wants more money so they add some cup holders and change 'My Computer' to 'This PC' and hope everyone opens up their wallets.

BRIGGS

01 Jul 2021

r11s

guitfnky

01 Jul 2021

Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2021
…the manufacturer wants more money so they add some cup holders and change 'My Computer' to 'This PC' and hope everyone opens up their wallets.
I don’t think they’re charging anything for it if you already have Windows 10.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2021

Once again though. We’ll be forced to have it if/ when we buy a laptop or PC with a preinstalled OEM.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rgdaniel

01 Jul 2021

To my shame, I only in the last couple of years figured out just how customizable the windows Start Menu is. Mine is currently HUGE, and obsessively organized into loose categories. I THINK (don't quote me) I read somewhere that Windows 11 will remove some of this customizability, which even if my PC was able to run it would make it a non-starter for me. Hopefully by 2025 they'll have put back what they broke...

guitfnky

01 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jul 2021
Once again though. We’ll be forced to have it if/ when we buy a laptop or PC with a preinstalled OEM.
how is this different than any other computer purchase? also, do people actually buy pre-built desktop PCs? 🤔
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
01 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
01 Jul 2021
how is this different than any other computer purchase? also, do people actually buy pre-built desktop PCs? 🤔
It’s a problem becasue I personally don’t want Windows 11.
And yea, people do. After years of building my own desktops I’ve moved over to prebuilt office models. Usually Lenovo. Trying to find motherboards without flashing coloured lights was just getting too hard. All I want in a. PCis a quiet fan, a good processor, decent RAM and a load of USB ports. Also enough outs to run more than one monitor.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jagwah

02 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
01 Jul 2021
Jagwah wrote:
01 Jul 2021
…the manufacturer wants more money so they add some cup holders and change 'My Computer' to 'This PC' and hope everyone opens up their wallets.
I don’t think they’re charging anything for it if you already have Windows 10.
Fair enough, if that is still the case six or so months in if there are no big issues I will most likely upgrade.

• Information