Midi filter > CV trigger help please

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
NTO

25 Jun 2021

I use only RR plugin in another daw. I love it for the flexible player devices, but wish I could use my VST's within it.
Without that I'm at a point where I think only Delta midi computer can solve my issue, but I don't own it; so I thought I would ask this question before I buy it:

I have a midi sequencer running in my daw. I feed its output into RR. I want to select eight specific notes of that midi and have a unique CV gate for each. Can't find a rack extension to do it!?

I was okay with having to use multiple instance of whatever extension had the basic conversion, but don't have even that among the ones I own.

Anyone have some concept help?
TIA!

Sterioevo

25 Jun 2021

A combinator and multiple instances of Thor or the One Note Stand RE are 2 possibilities. Setup would involve mapping the required key range (note) in the combinator programmer for each note/instance.

NTO

25 Jun 2021

@Sterioevo

Thank you for your reply and guidance. I had missed One-Note Stand in the shop. Some of the categorization can be confusing over there! :redface:
It was just that easy. Am up and running now! :clap:
Last edited by NTO on 25 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

25 Jun 2021

NTO wrote:
25 Jun 2021
I use only RR plugin in another daw. I love it for the flexible player devices, but wish I could use my VST's within it.
Without that I'm at a point where I think only Delta midi computer can solve my issue, but I don't own it; so I thought I would ask this question before I buy it:

I have a midi sequencer running in my daw. I feed its output into RR. I want to select eight specific notes of that midi and have a unique CV gate for each. Can't find a rack extension to do it!?

I was okay with having to use multiple instance of whatever extension had the basic conversion, but don't have even that among the ones I own.

Anyone have some concept help?
TIA!
Can I just clarify...

You want to send 8 specific notes from your DAW into Reason, and for those notes to then be used as gates which then do something in Reason at the point the MIDI from those notes comes in?

If yes, then you only need the Combinator and Lectric Panda's CV-PT for this.

1. Add a Combinator.
2. Add a CV-PT to the Combinator's nested devices section. You'll get a CV-PT and an ID-8.
3. Drag a 2nd CV-PT below the ID-8. You'll get a 2nd ID-8 and Player stack etc.
Keep doing this until you have as many notes as you need gate triggers for.
4. Now in the Combi programmer, you limit down the note range for each ID-8 to a single note (each of your desired specific notes); the Player device stacks sit between the input and the instrument in the chain so the CV-PT's get limited as a result.
Each CV-PT will now output on the Channel 1 gate out, the note input velocity that came from the MIDI sequencer that was attached to the relevant note.

IMPORTANT: When the note is switched off, that is the point that the gate is zero'd off - it doesn't matter if you have envelope settings that do different things with the synth voices for example, the off signal will still end the gate at that point. This will probably result in things sounding a little harsher than you originally envisioned in places. For any real problems this causes you can use Thor to insert an envelope generator in the path of the offending gate and this will smooth it - but for many purposes the on/off gate will suffice.

Finally, note that using a single device such as Delta for this (if indeed it can do it), will almost certainly be cheaper on your system resources than the guerilla solution above, so if you need a working solution for live work etc then you should give the one stop solution a trial run.

Good luck,
Brian

NTO

25 Jun 2021

@Brian
Just to clarify - I'm using the gates to drive Tone Rows for alternate note outputs from the note inputs.
Thanks for an alternate solution. I do have CV-PT. Will think that through, but am mapping the One-Note config right now.

NTO

26 Jun 2021

:exclamation: Curious minds want to know department

Constructing the @Brian combi
Adding a CVPT - auto gets me it plus a midi out, not the ID-8. Dunno - Due to all rack no Reason :reason: ?
So I did the ID- 8 then a CVPT

Duped the pair to the count of eight

Set the note per ID-8

Added the Tone Rows which came with a midi out

Had to turn on all the CVPTs!

Do get the triggers, but (nature of the player stack) also get all the notes fed into the combi input until I set the midi out to not receive notes (identity = tone rows player!)

All done and noted - soluition is ~106% at idle and 133% active for DSP load versus the One-Note way.

Geek's good time! :geek: :thumbup:

Thanks guys :D

NTO

26 Jun 2021

EDITED:
Somehow I managed to quote myself complete :oops: when I just wanted to add

Incidentally - my Delta concept is series of If Node > CV Output Node, but I'm holding onto those pennies for now...
Last edited by NTO on 26 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

26 Jun 2021

NTO wrote:
26 Jun 2021
:exclamation: Curious minds want to know department

Adding a CVPT - auto gets me it plus a midi out, not the ID-8. Dunno - Due to all rack no Reason :reason: ?
Yeah, sorry, I was figuring it out in Reason DAW rather than RRP, my fault.

I kinda lose you at that point onwards as I don't have Tone Rows so not sure where it's going from there. Glad to see you got it working though :D

Cheers,
Brian

wendallsan

13 Jul 2021

I hadn't seen One-Note Stand before, and am about to release a rack extension that is ALMOST identical to it except my plugin actually outputs real Trigger Out (100ms long) Gate CV data as well as regular Gate CV and Note CV data. I built it so I could retrigger my hardware ADSR's on my hardware Eurorack synthesizer and am submitting it to Reason Studios this week for release in case other have a similar need. I was almost scared to look at One-Note Stand in fear that I'd completely reinvented the wheel, but no, I just reinvented about 60% of the wheel. If you actually have a need for Trigger Outs, please consider checking out my extension, which is called TRIGGER HAPPY. You can contact me by private message if you'd like to be added as a tester before its release.

• Information