Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Carpainter

20 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
20 Jun 2021
I actually don't think the new found openness that RS have with this release is actually helping at all.

We've heard about hires for months now, then we had Ryan setting the forum on fire with the mention of CMBv2 which was retracted then announced followed by a promo that also revealed a new sampler that was going to be stock rather than €$£99 extra.

Which all sound great especially if you're looking for them features but I much preferred the big reveal rather than the constant hype and as someone who has always preferred Reason standalone I really want them to either shut up or talk about standalone a bit as well.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting Propellerhead's marketing department to do anything other than produce videos with dangerous levels of cringe.

At this point, I feel like a great piece of software is being held hostage by the most bland company in the music software industry. I imagine their offices to be painted in muted neutral colors and sparsely decorated with Ikea furniture. Unsanctioned mirth is strictly prohibited.

DaveyG

20 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
20 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
20 Jun 2021

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. 😢
You might laugh but Mattias has publicly stated that it's on the list of todos, I've linked to the post in my signature ;) and if I'm not mistaken it was he who finally got vst support into Reason in the first place?
Trouble is that I think it might be quite hard to do in the current Reason signal flow. There is no real MIDI routing so I think a VST that generates MIDI would have to sit inside some sort of player framework, maybe a player that hosts a single VST or something. I think if it was was easy to do then they would already have done it.

Billy+

20 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
20 Jun 2021

Trouble is that I think it might be quite hard to do in the current Reason signal flow. There is no real MIDI routing so I think a VST that generates MIDI would have to sit inside some sort of player framework, maybe a player that hosts a single VST or something. I think if it was was easy to do then they would already have done it.
That's definitely one way to look at it, but I think they have chosen to not implement it and sell us players instead ;) the same with CMBv2 I'm sure the only reason it's now happening is to protect the content packs as come September your going to need subscription or V12 licensing to "keep them" rolling back to your v11 license won't cut it ;)

Billy+

20 Jun 2021

Carpainter wrote:
20 Jun 2021
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting Propellerhead's marketing department to do anything other than produce videos with dangerous levels of cringe.

At this point, I feel like a great piece of software is being held hostage by the most bland company in the music software industry. I imagine their offices to be painted in muted neutral colors and sparsely decorated with Ikea furniture. Unsanctioned mirth is strictly prohibited.
I'm not setting my self up for any disappointment and even when I have thought they could have done more there's always been something that has convinced me to upgrade. As for marketing material I see it for what it is and always find it interesting in some way however over the years I've also seen that RS do what they want at their own pace and generally get it right even if the direction isn't what we hoped for it's generally a good thing for the company.

I just don't understand how they can believe that Reason as a plugin is somehow more important than Reason as a DAW as I've seen it from V1 and it's always been a DAW and one that I personally think is head and shoulders above the other when it comes to inspiring creativity, yes there's some stuff we would all love to see but most of us still want to use Reason as a DAW because of how it works and it has always worked, I've never seen it crash I've always been able to do what I want and it's been an amazing tool that has and still does provide hours of enjoyment to use.

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
20 Jun 2021
That's definitely one way to look at it, but I think they have chosen to not implement it and sell us players instead ;) the same with CMBv2 I'm sure the only reason it's now happening is to protect the content packs as come September your going to need subscription or V12 licensing to "keep them" rolling back to your v11 license won't cut it ;)
Fabricating ill intent behind every feature.

Oooookay, that's my cue 😒😒😒

bxbrkrz

20 Jun 2021

Or you could call it New Fresh Tech :puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Billy+

20 Jun 2021

avasopht wrote:
20 Jun 2021
Billy+ wrote:
20 Jun 2021
Fabricating ill intent behind every feature.

Oooookay, that's my cue 😒😒😒
I don't see it as ill intent just well thought out timing. When companion and the content packs came out and everyone went crazy over subscription the notion that you could continue using the content packs in your old style license was a selling point, you could always roll back to your perpetual license.

CMBV2 had been requested for over 10 years now we've got one.

VST was requested for probably the same amount of time and we got told time and time again that it wouldn't happen but it did partially and as much as I enjoy the players and again the way RS did it was definitely their way I have a multitude of vst midi devices that are much more capable.

So although my comments may sound like there unfavourable I can assure you that they are not meant to be, and when asked what DAW should I buy my response is always Reason.

The software is exceptional, the company not so much, it's good that they have a unique way of thinking but they could do with doing things a bit simpler now and again.

Billy+

20 Jun 2021

It's definitely a love hate relationship,

I hate that they don't listen to the community and provide the features that are requested but I love the way they implement unique features that the community would never have thought of.

I get that they are a company that ultimately wants to make money and does that by selling us stuff but they have restricted them selves so many times in the past that they now think getting people into RRP is the best way forward but had they implemented vst way back when it was new and had they continued to develop alongside those technologies then more people would have been using Reason and RRP although good for a few ultimately is just a plugin which long term is a distraction from the DAW which won't convince anyone to switch until it supports the same standard features that people are using in other DAW's.

craste

21 Jun 2021

I was thinking about how the staff at Reason Studios might feel when they read all of these comments about the core DAW sequencer improvements we want. I do hope that they take it as a positive, because it is a reflection of the huge amount of love we all have for the software and that we want it to succeed - we really do care!

I think our frustration comes from knowing how great Reason could be and I am not alone in thinking that perhaps this might be lost on people making the main decisions at Reason Studios.

Reason is great for being creative but people also want the tools to work quicker and smarter and if they (Reason Studios) do not react and respond to the main core DAW improvements people will certainly be disheartened.

Reason studios - listen to what your users (customers) want and act upon it before the horse has bolted, because once people have tried other DAW's, where its quicker and easier to do tasks, stay organised better etc. it will be hard to pull those customers back, if at all.

Are there any core DAW quality of life improvements scheduled for the next release I wonder? Can you throw us a bone or a sneak peek video?

Hopefully Reason Studios are loving all this speculation and they have something up their sleeve (DAW Quality of life improvements) and are waiting for the right time to unleash the beast that will have the long standing Reason community (the actual people who have supported Reason Studios for years) jumping for joy and loving you even more for it!

In the UK we have a saying “The customer is always right”.

Happy customers are loyal customers.

We shall see.

slic

21 Jun 2021

Frankly, if they can get the entire program Hi Def and with scaling, a new complex and customisable combiner and a new sampler in the next 9-10 weeks I think that will be a miracle!

EnochLight

21 Jun 2021

slic wrote:
21 Jun 2021
Frankly, if they can get the entire program Hi Def and with scaling, a new complex and customisable combiner and a new sampler in the next 9-10 weeks I think that will be a miracle!
Admittedly, meeting that self-imposed deadline is going to blow me away more than the announced features will. :lol: That said, I'll use each and every one of them once they're available. :clap:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Calazzus

21 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jun 2021
ljekio wrote:
20 Jun 2021
is there any rumours about vst3 support?
when we can see it in the Reason?
When hell freezes over?
Hopefully when pigs fly.

DaveyG

22 Jun 2021

Calazzus wrote:
21 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jun 2021

When hell freezes over?
Hopefully when pigs fly.
Flying pigs trying to land in an icy hell is a sure recipe for disaster. They haven't thought this through.

littlejam

22 Jun 2021

hello,

it would make for some nice bbq, though

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

RoryM0

22 Jun 2021

Have R+ users started receiving R12 features yet? I believe it was mentioned in the 'R12 is in the works' video that they would be getting an early roll out. Just wondering what form that roll out will take...

slic

22 Jun 2021

I don't think there is anything to roll out yet, the beta is still quite early and on the rack graphics only.

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Jun 2021

slic wrote:
22 Jun 2021
I don't think there is anything to roll out yet, the beta is still quite early and on the rack graphics only.
It doesn't mean anything, they may have a number of branches (betas) being developed at the same time, just one of them really needs testing.

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2021

slic wrote:
22 Jun 2021
The new sampler will be a RE - I assume - so it can be developed independent of the BETA.

I also assume The Combinator may require some external beta testing, as it's announced features seem to go beyond the RE SDK
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

EnochLight

22 Jun 2021

deeplink wrote:
22 Jun 2021
slic wrote:
22 Jun 2021
The new sampler will be a RE - I assume - so it can be developed independent of the BETA.

I also assume The Combinator may require some external beta testing, as it's announced features seem to go beyond the RE SDK
Counterpoint - it's possible the new Combinator won't utilize the RE SDK, and instead just be a core "built-in" part of Reason, much like the RV7000 is (they didn't use the RE SDK or even convert the RV7000 to the RE format at the time when they added sample impulse support, because it was just easier to keep it "built-in" at the time). I agree the new sampler will likely be an RE, though it'll eventually be tested in the regular beta channel.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

22 Jun 2021

Nick from SKP has been playing with the new combinator so there's definitely more than one beta channel.

EnochLight

22 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Jun 2021
Nick from SKP has been playing with the new combinator so there's definitely more than one beta channel.
I can guarantee you that Combinator 2 is already in the hands of select sound designers, just as the graphics alpha was in the hands of testers before it even made it to the public testing channel. ;) :thumbup:

Billy+

22 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jun 2021
Billy+ wrote:
22 Jun 2021
I can guarantee you that Combinator 2 is already in the hands of select sound designers, just as the graphics alpha was in the hands of testers before it even made it to the public testing channel. ;) :thumbup:
You don't have to give me a guarantee and if I remember correctly Ryan was using a hires version of Reason when he showed us Algorithm.

EnochLight

22 Jun 2021

Billy+ wrote:
22 Jun 2021
You don't have to give me a guarantee
Well you have it. No gifts back! :lol:
Billy+ wrote:
22 Jun 2021
and if I remember correctly Ryan was using a hires version of Reason when he showed us Algorithm.
I don't recall seeing a high res version of Reason during Ryan's Algorithm livestream. Algorithm looks as blurry as any other RE when I look at it (also, I seriously doubt the Reason alpha was in any condition to reliably be featured during that livestream 3 months ago, just say'n)! :lol:

Billy+

22 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jun 2021
Billy+ wrote:
22 Jun 2021
You don't have to give me a guarantee
Well you have it. No gifts back! :lol:
Billy+ wrote:
22 Jun 2021
and if I remember correctly Ryan was using a hires version of Reason when he showed us Algorithm.
I don't recall seeing a high res version of Reason during Ryan's Algorithm livestream. Algorithm looks as blurry as any other RE when I look at it (also, I seriously doubt the Reason alpha was in any condition to reliably be featured during that livestream 3 months ago, just say'n)! :lol:
Well I've definitely heard them talking about an internal hi res development version, only I'm not going to hunt down the exact video. ;) and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they have an internal version with vst midi and vst3 support working :lol:

EnochLight

22 Jun 2021

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Information