Shoegaze/ My Bloody Valentine guitars

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
littlejam

19 Jun 2021

hello,

found this while researching 'shoegaze' music
i'm glad i got the galaxie 500 band correct for this genre of music

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/sh ... gaze-music

this is a list of 50 great shoegaze albums

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... -all-time/

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

EnochLight

19 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021

I don't know any shoegaze recordings with amp sims, not saying there aren't any, just not any I know of. Please point to some so I can hear.
You’re not convinced that virtual amp sims can’t stand in for the real thing? There are some absolutely incredible sims out there. We’ve come a long way in the past 20 years. I mean, I could point you to them but I’m sure you’re aware?

I haven’t followed any of the recent shoegaze bands these days, but I don’t see any reason why amp sims couldn’t stand in for an actual big ass cabinet.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2021
MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021

I don't know any shoegaze recordings with amp sims, not saying there aren't any, just not any I know of. Please point to some so I can hear.
You’re not convinced that virtual amp sims can’t stand in for the real thing? There are some absolutely incredible sims out there. We’ve come a long way in the past 20 years. I mean, I could point you to them but I’m sure you’re aware?

I haven’t followed any of the recent shoegaze bands these days, but I don’t see any reason why amp sims couldn’t stand in for an actual big ass cabinet.
I pretty much figured you would come back with nothing :)

motuscott

19 Jun 2021

Great SOS article but it seems to me peeps are missing the point. Here's a guy, a band who felt their way through it, said what would happen if I..,
Didn't load a preset, just said what if I connect this to this, what would happen? Originality folks, is not a designer brand. I suspect our old pal motuscott has fallen into the bottle again
Not done drunkposting!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

guitfnky

19 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2021

I pretty much figured you would come back with nothing :)
you can’t honestly believe there are no artists out there anywhere using amp sims to create guitar music in this, or any guitar-centric genre. can you? 🤔
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

motuscott

19 Jun 2021

And they did that in the studio! Somebody was paying. We can do this at home and it costs nothing!
OK I'll shut up for a few minutes.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EnochLight

19 Jun 2021

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2021
you can’t honestly believe there are no artists out there anywhere using amp sims to create guitar music in this, or any guitar-centric genre. can you? 🤔
He also claims you have to use a Jazzmaster to create shoegaze. :lol: It's just funny to read people claiming plugins/sims can't do the job these days. I mean seriously - this isn't 2002. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

19 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2021
guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2021
He also claims you have to use a Jazzmaster to create shoegaze. :lol: It's just funny to read people claiming plugins/sims can't do the job these days. I mean seriously - this isn't 2002. :lol:
right? I haven’t used a traditional amp in my band in probably 5 or 6 years. I almost never record them anymore. it’s fun when I do, but there’s nothing that beats the convenience or flexibility of a good amp sim, and nowadays, there are tons that sound just as good as “the real thing” (sometimes better).

there are plenty of touring artists that swear by amp sims (Axe FX is a go-to for many). the thought that no one would be using them just because we aren’t aware of them is just silly. it’s not like every band goes out of the way to let us know what kind of amps they use.

and needing a particular guitar as a prerequisite for a genre of music? I hope that was a joke, because that’s nuts.

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

I'd love to hear those examples, and the poster's topic is MBV/Shoegaze aka Jazzmasters, which is Kevin Shields sound, which is jazzmasters/p90's. Of course people use amp sims in music these days, but find me a shoegaze band.

guitfnky

19 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
I'd love to hear those examples, and the poster's topic is MBV/Shoegaze aka Jazzmasters, which is Kevin Shields sound, which is jazzmasters/p90's. Of course people use amp sims in music these days, but find me a shoegaze band.
why?

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

because the whole genre is defined by crazy analog guitar tones with real pedals and amps, trust me I have hundreds/thousand shoegaze records and have been collecting since the late 80's. I follow every shoegaze forum, blogs, major and small indie levels,, and am on one of them myself, and the only time I have ever seen an amp sim is when people are at home and can't make loud sounds. If you can find me an example of a recording, it shouldn't be that hard according to you guys, but I haven't seen you guys find anything... I am sure some kid in a bedroom is making it, but a legit record that more than 5 people have heard, I'd be very surprised.

guitfnky

19 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
I am not aware of it, therefore it must not exist.
do you also believe the world disappears when you close your eyes? 🤔

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

You have no proof but you keep hammering on. Just show me an example already, or are you so right that you don't have time to google?

edit - this will be my last response in this thread until someone finds me an example. I'm glad to learn something, but this is starting to waste my time.

guitfnky

19 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
You have no proof but you keep hammering on. Just show me an example already, or are you so right that you don't have time to google?
there’s no need to do any legwork to disprove a premise that’s absurd on its face. 🤷🏻‍♂️

littlejam

19 Jun 2021

hello,

this is a pretty groovy tutorial on shoegaze music

the comments section is pretty funny, too

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

littlejam

19 Jun 2021

hello,

2 more videos

this one includes a part on lyrics

i like how one of the captions state that shoegaze
is like an indian dish of spices

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

littlejam wrote:
19 Jun 2021
hello,

this is a pretty groovy tutorial on shoegaze music

the comments section is pretty funny, too

cheers,

j
haha! seen that one a few times :)

littlejam

19 Jun 2021

hello,

this video is very coolcoolio, too
you can sample from it and throw it into grain

the captions are interesting because it links the sound / characteristic with actual bands

when i was teaching in nyc in 2000
the computer teacher / guitarist
the art lady / vocals
and i / video guy

rented studio time down around 14th st
and just jammed for a few hours
the guitarist created some wickedcool feedback guitar loop delays
a very nice afterschool jam session

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

I subscribe to that channel, it's got some good stuff in there .

littlejam

19 Jun 2021

hello,

so the OP asks for vst

this video is very specific into what 'pedals' to use to get the bloody valentine sound

so any basic chorus / reverb / overdrive effects should do the trick

hopefully this helps
if the person ever posts back, eh...
the person created the account today (saturday)

i usually get annoyed when people do this
however, this time i am veryberry happy

that holy grail reverse reverb pedal is neat

i am hoping to be able to create these sounds with those kuassa presets / combis

i am not a guitarist
i just mess around with them
but i don't screw the neck

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

reverse reverb is a pretty standard shoegaze effect, depending on what band you're going for, some use chorus too, and don't forget delay :)

try using overdrive/distortion into the reverb :)

MarkTarlton

19 Jun 2021

I made a couple patches, 1 fx and 1 instrument, in the reason goodie bag for the 20th anniversary, check it out, it's fun and yeah it's not a real effects board/amp :P

edit - I was trying to do an effect from the yamaha fx500, if you don't have selig gain, it's only there for a meter read out when i was gain staging. I should have just deleted it but forgot.
Attachments
Tarlton -Shoegazer.zip
(8.11 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Jun 2021
I made a couple patches, 1 fx and 1 instrument, in the reason goodie bag for the 20th anniversary, check it out, it's fun and yeah it's not a real effects board/amp :P

edit - I was trying to do an effect from the yamaha fx500, if you don't have selig gain, it's only there for a meter read out when i was gain staging. I should have just deleted it but forgot.
Yamaha fx500 hahahaha. I had one of those. :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2021

littlejam wrote:
19 Jun 2021

that holy grail reverse reverb pedal is neat
Turn2on have an RE based in that pedal.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -delay-fx/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

20 Jun 2021

I can't quite believe shoegaze is still a thing.
And in the meantime the OP, new to this forum, is wondering where their post has gone.

• Information